Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 15, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #2,851 of 12,087
  welp, just hit 18 pages of notes for my review of these, haha.  9 pages of music listening notes, 2 pages of aesthetic/build quality, 4 pages of amp pairing, 2 pages of comfort, 1 page of miscellany

Sounds like an epic review in the making...  Can't wait to hear what you would have to say, although you have already dropped a few eloquent "hints" here and there as to what you think about them...

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #2,852 of 12,087

it was in the outer box that contained the box, not the black THX00 box.  A lot of people discarded that box quickly, thinking it was just a packaging box, and ended up throwing their adapter away accidentally.  However, I think massdrop has been good about sending one to people who lost theirs (or never got it.  I guess Fostex didn't include one, and thus Massdrop had to put it in the packaging box themselves instead of it being in the actual box.

Probably doing themselves a favor anyways. IMO the included adapter was not very good and seems to put a lot of unnecessary stress on 3.5mm ports due to how bulky and long it is. I am using an adapter that has a cable with a right angled 3.5mm jack myself and it works a lot better in staying connected with portable devices. I do really wish the cable was a lot shorter. Having a 10ft cable, no matter how well built it seems, is just stupid in my books. I am in constant fear that I might roll my chair over it accidentally or getting it snagged or tangled on something.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #2,853 of 12,087

Probably doing themselves a favor anyways. IMO the included adapter was not very good and seems to put a lot of unnecessary stress on 3.5mm ports due to how bulky and long it is. I am using an adapter that has a cable with a right angled 3.5mm jack myself and it works a lot better in staying connected with portable devices. I do really wish the cable was a lot shorter. Having a 10ft cable, no matter how well built it seems, is just stupid in my books. I am in constant fear that I might roll my chair over it accidentally or getting it snagged or tangled on something.

yeah, as soon as I am done travelling for the holidays, I'm sending mine off to have it cut down to a 4 ft cable terminated in a 3.5mm, then have the remaining cable have a 3.5mm female connector put on, retaining the remaining 6 ft and the 1/4".  Essentially making it able to go from a 4 ft 3.5m cable to the stock cable just by clicking in the end piece.  At that point, it will be a pretty ideal combo of portability/iPhone friendly yet great for my office and home setups.  And yes, the included adapter is really bulky and will screw your phone up if you're not careful, but I guess it's better than nothing.  I agree that the cable type adapters are better, but I can see why they didn't throw one in, given how much they pulled to keep a can like this under $400.  

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #2,854 of 12,087
That makes a lot of sense.  The O2 was a great amp for the D7000.  The ultra low impedance, plus somewhat bright signature really firmed up the D7000's at times uncontrolled tubbiness.

O2 doesn't have a bright signature... At all. The entire point of it is to be linear.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,855 of 12,087
That makes a lot of sense.  The O2 was a great amp for the D7000.  The ultra low impedance, plus somewhat bright signature really firmed up the D7000's at times uncontrolled tubbiness.

O2 doesn't have a bright signature... At all. The entire point of it is to be linear.

I think the entire point was to prove you could build a measurably good amp from off-the-shelf components.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #2,856 of 12,087

With most people I know preferring darker or warmer sound signatures as opposed to more neutral ones, it's easy to see how one can listen to an amp like the O2 and feel it is bright. For me, anything that doesn't have rolled off trebles sound bright for example.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,857 of 12,087
I think the entire point was to prove you could build a measurably good amp from off-the-shelf components.

Yep. Somehow "I'll show how to build a very good amp cheaply that will beat a lot of what's out there at $500-$1000 in the early 2000s" turned into "he created the most perfectly neutral and linear amp possible."

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,859 of 12,087
Wouldn't an amp that measures objectively well be considered neutral by default?

There is "measures well" and there's "measures like reference grade"

Have to remember back when the first O2 came out there were very few low impedance amps out there. People were trying to amp AKG K701s with 50 ohm OTL tube amps.
You'll never hear me say anything bad about the O2. It changed the headphone amp market for the better. But there are certainly more neutral solid state amps out there.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #2,860 of 12,087
I just looked at the DHL tracking and my item is marked as "delivered" as per this morning! I'm still at work (3:20pm here in Sydney) and cannot wait to get home, hopefully this means they left the package on my front porch.

Did any other Australians receive their headphones?

Literally just received mine about 20min ago.
At work but the missus was nice enough to open them up and she was really impressed... Which is difficult to do.

I joked with the wife that I would probably get 999...I needed up getting 01999, Hahaha.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #2,861 of 12,087
The Beyerdynamic C-ONE headband is the best looking headband cushion/cover for this family of headphone IMO.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #2,862 of 12,087

Well here goes after 3 hours compare and contrast of my two beauties! (I've had TH900 for about 18 months). All testing done on same equipment to allow direct comparison, my Colorfly C4, which has plenty of power for these two at half volume and has great synergy.

Physically:

Aesthetics
X00- Beautiful cups, nicely finished, well finished pads and jack end, etc. 8/10
900- Equally beautiful cups, excellently finished superior lacquer, with slightly nicer jack end. 9/10

Overall- Its slight win for TH900 for slightly better fit and finish, but only slightly. Overall beauty in eye of beholder....I love them both.

Feel
X00- Much lighter than 900...probably due to reduced magnet size (think these are defo based on TH600). Same headband as 900 but lighter weight makes them more comfortable with no issues from extended listening. Pads are same quality but more padded and less room for ears, but still adequate to be over ear. The downside is less options for placement and slightly warmer to wear over a longer time. 8/10
900- Noticeably heavier (nowhere near Audeze weight) than X00, but headband is still comfortable. Pads are great...spacious, airy and comfortable. 8/10

Overall- Dead heat, with the 900 having more comfortable pads and X00 more comfortable weight.

Sound (using a range of hi res music from Michael Jackson to HDTracks samples, Elliot Smith, Shawn Colvin, Daft Punk, etc)
X00- Bass is generous, warm, impactful, slightly soft and creates a very similar wonderful atmosphere (which so many phones struggle with). The mids are definitely more present on more tracks, not that the TH900 can't express great mids too on some tracks....the X00 just does it more often. The treble is probably the biggest difference to the 900, with much more taming. I've never thought the 900 too sibilant or harsh on anything other than bad recordings.....now i'm not so sure and I really like being able to turn some music up without an increase n harshness. Very impressive, but not without a flip side compared to TH900. 8/10
900- Bass is world beating joy. Treble is detailed, airy and tread a fine line on some tracks, of being a little on the edgy side. Mids are good but take a polite step back to let mr.bass and mrs.treble do their merry dance. Resolution is up there with the best other flagships have to offer. The bass and treble extend more than the X00, which makes nearly every track sound impressive, with enough quality overall to keep the mids pulled along behind, to make even the hardest nosed Headfier toe tap along. Not every type of music needs this though...and it is here that the X00 warrants its place proudly alongside the 900. 9/10

Overall- I'll try to keep this brief and more instinctive from my initial listen.....The X00 is like listening in a smaller room with sound deadening on the walls....very intimate, clear, a very collective sound in balance. Very suited to acoustic music, better for vocal representation in the overall presentation than TH900, such as Elliot Smith, Shawn Colvin, which is exactly what I was looking for in filling a weaker part of the TH900 armoury. However, what is lost from losing some of the extension to the bass and treble is the feeling of being in a big hall, with church like acoustics when listening to the TH900, with its great sense of airiness and separation between a songs elements (an open headphone like presentation). I guess this is the euphonic reference people make...but also the mark of a flagship can which together with its slightly superior resolution, which will make you smile often. I'll give to the nod to the TH900 still, but I will say...especially to all of you non TH900 owners is....you lucky lucky people. You've now got the Fostex house sound, with much of its atmospheric joie de vive and enthusiasm for enjoying the music in a slightly more charismatic way than may have been originally intended....which is no bad thing in my eyes. Bravo Fostex, Massdrop and all of you who took the blind plunge :) 

THX00- 8/10
TH900- 9/10

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #2,863 of 12,087
Which of the 3 sets of pads still maintained the treble and mids relatively close? I realize a lot of this is trade off's. Our personal preferences often have us giving up one thing in order to hear something else.

I would say that Hifiman pads.  Comfort, however, goes to the HM5 pads.

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,864 of 12,087
The Beyerdynamic C-ONE headband is the best looking headband cushion/cover for this family of headphone IMO.

Nice, that definitely looks comfortable!  I assume you have to dismantle the headband to slip this on though?

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,865 of 12,087
Nice, that definitely looks comfortable!  I assume you have to dismantle the headband to slip this on though?

You don't, it goes on like the other Beyerdynamic headband but looks a lot cleaner.

Also it will be a tight fit so it might wrinkle the original headband. Hence I only put it on my D2000 which has been worn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back