Fostex TH909 Announcement
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #166 of 217
Playing Tool - Fear Inoculum through these tonight (out of my Sony TA-ZH1ES), what an experience. I agree with the Mojo2 comment as well, they’re sublime through that (although most cans seem to be!). My only problem when going to listen to these is ignoring my 900’s (and vice verse haha).

The drums on Invincible are something else on these, you feel the impact.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #168 of 217
These headphones deserve far more credit than they receive. I'd take them over anything else I've owned, that includes some ZMF, Meze Empyrean, LCD-X, the list goes on. With the right amp (not necessarily expensive powerhouse amp) they're incredible.
Hello, what amp do you recommend?

thanks

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #170 of 217
Nov 26, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #171 of 217
Playing Tool - Fear Inoculum through these tonight (out of my Sony TA-ZH1ES), what an experience. I agree with the Mojo2 comment as well, they’re sublime through that (although most cans seem to be!). My only problem when going to listen to these is ignoring my 900’s (and vice verse haha).

The drums on Invincible are something else on these, you feel the impact.
Tool + a Sony TAZ + the 909s is indeed a deadly combo, literally listening to the same thing (albeit Opiate^2 is the present track). Running concurrently against a BF2 + GSX mini + Diana v2… impossible to pick a favorite

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #172 of 217
Is there a budget over ear alternative with lower weight to the 909 (great dynamics, v-shaped sound) on the market today?

I have a Phillips X2HR and I am looking for a upgrade.

I love the immediacy and PRAT of GRADOs (no bass) and MSR7 (too small for big ears)

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #173 of 217
Is there a budget over ear alternative with lower weight to the 909 (great dynamics, v-shaped sound) on the market today?

I love the immediacy and PRAT of GRADOs (no bass) and MSR7 (too small for big ears)
I haven’t heard anything close to their sound signature in full size open backs.

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #174 of 217

Have you listened to a 909? If not, you might find they're not for you. Personally I adore them, but they can be bright with a bad pairing amp/dac. I didn't get on with them with my old Schiit Jotunheim, but there fantastic from my Chord Mojo 2.

If you do like the sound then try a used pair of Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2. Generally get them in good to excellent condition for around £250-£350. They have less bass impact, but they share the holographic/bubble type sound of the 909.

They're not the 909 (nothing is), but they're a similar headphone, lighter, easier to get aftermarket cables, and are an excellent headphone in their own right. Also play superbly well with tubes. They're a big upgrade from the X2HR. The DT1990 is also a worthy upgrade. My first decent headphone was the X2HR and I still keep a pair now.

You could also keep your eye out for a Grado GH series (a Grado with some bass). You don't see them for sale often, but they also don't command crazy prices (bit more than T1.2). A quick detachable cable mod and some shipibo earpads and you've got a real gem.

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #175 of 217
Have you listened to a 909? If not, you might find they're not for you. Personally I adore them, but they can be bright with a bad pairing amp/dac. I didn't get on with them with my old Schiit Jotunheim, but there fantastic from my Chord Mojo 2.

If you do like the sound then try a used pair of Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2. Generally get them in good to excellent condition for around £250-£350. They have less bass impact, but they share the holographic/bubble type sound of the 909.

They're not the 909 (nothing is), but they're a similar headphone, lighter, easier to get aftermarket cables, and are an excellent headphone in their own right. Also play superbly well with tubes. They're a big upgrade from the X2HR. The DT1990 is also a worthy upgrade. My first decent headphone was the X2HR and I still keep a pair now.

You could also keep your eye out for a Grado GH series (a Grado with some bass). You don't see them for sale often, but they also don't command crazy prices (bit more than T1.2). A quick detachable cable mod and some shipibo earpads and you've got a real gem.
I love bright headphones, and need the bass for low volume listening. Bright, but with natural colors / timbre. I find Beyers do not sound natural and lifelike. GRADOs do.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #176 of 217

If weight is the issue just go with IEMs cause their is little to nothing in existence that will work for you. Maybe Grade has something but I think you are SOL.

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #177 of 217
I love bright headphones, and need the bass for low volume listening. Bright, but with natural colors / timbre. I find Beyers do not sound natural and lifelike. GRADOs do.
Most Beyers don't, the T1 gen 2 are very different to the others. I wouldn't disregard them based off trying the 1990 or any other models. Very different beast, very unique, worthy of any collection.

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #179 of 217
We’re veering well off topic but have you tried the Hemps if you like Grados?

I started the evening listening to my Grado GS3000x but have just shifted over to the TH909’s now, oh how I love these. They never fail to impress my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back