Fostex TH900 MkII
Feb 2, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #526 of 1,501
Ok, so I own the TH-610’s and since the TH-900 Mk II’s are represented more I’m coming here. My question is, or rather I should just say...I have been plugging my cans in backwards/reverse, as in forcing the larger pin into the smaller hole. Have I damaged my pair?

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #527 of 1,501
Ok, so I own the TH-610’s and since the TH-900 Mk II’s are represented more I’m coming here. My question is, or rather I should just say...I have been plugging my cans in backwards/reverse, as in forcing the larger pin into the smaller hole. Have I damaged my pair?
if the cable doesn't drop out , i think you are ok ..

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #528 of 1,501
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying the Th900, as opposed to the TH900mk2 as they'e $1099 vs $1500. Is the price difference worth considering getting the mk2?

To be fair, most of my listening is out and about using Spotify or flac as a source via Samsung s8+, and an Oppo HA-2 as a DAC/amp.

Will the isolation be good enough for using on a train?

My main genre is electronic music (dubstep / dnb) and I'm purchasing these for their great low frequency EQ capabilities.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #529 of 1,501
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying the Th900, as opposed to the TH900mk2 as they'e $1099 vs $1500. Is the price difference worth considering getting the mk2?

To be fair, most of my listening is out and about using Spotify or flac as a source via Samsung s8+, and an Oppo HA-2 as a DAC/amp.

My main genre is electronic music (dubstep / dnb) and I'm purchasing these for their great low frequency EQ capabilities.

if attached cable is ok with you ,, go for the cheaper , its the same headphone ..

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #530 of 1,501

I personally wouldn't commute with these. The isolation is good enough, but not really the best. Sound does leak. The cups also look comically large for a portable headphone, but if you're cool with that look, then more power to you.
If you're really willing to spend $1000 on commuter headphones for dubstep, I'd suggest the CA Vega iem. It will be much easier to commute with, and people won't be looking to mug you because most won't even recognize the CA vegas are that expensive (unless they already know Campfire).

Also, on another note, the B&W P7 is also a decent choice for bass heavy music + portability. It costs about a third of the price of the TH-900 and is about 80-85% of the sound quality. The P7 lacks the sparkly treble and sound stage of the TH-900.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #531 of 1,501
I personally wouldn't commute with these. The isolation is good enough, but not really the best. Sound does leak. The cups also look comically large for a portable headphone, but if you're cool with that look, then more power to you.
If you're really willing to spend $1000 on commuter headphones for dubstep, I'd suggest the CA Vega iem. It will be much easier to commute with, and people won't be looking to mug you because most won't even recognize the CA vegas are that expensive (unless they already know Campfire).

Also, on another note, the B&W P7 is also a decent choice for bass heavy music + portability. It costs about a third of the price of the TH-900 and is about 80-85% of the sound quality. The P7 lacks the sparkly treble and sound stage of the TH-900.

Thanks for your response! I'm used to giant cans as I'm coming from a pair of JVC SZ2000', and I'm used to that kind of slam and size. Looking to step up in terms of overall quality though. Thankfully in New Zealand crime is low, and I'd be unlikely to be mugged for them, and if they do I'm fairly competent in terms of defending myself!

Regarding the CA vega, I'm not a huge fan of IEMs. Debatably I haven't listened to super high end ones like those but Audiofly AF180.. But based on them being IEMs I will rule them out based on that. I just don' e the sensation of something being that deep in my ear.

The P7 I've listened to, and didn't enjoy their bass, even EQ'd they did not provide the slam I'm after.

I think I've sold myself... Its a shame I can't test them here in New Zealand.

If I listen at "acceptable" levels on the train, I'm hoping it won't be too much of an issue. I often enjoy 2-3 hour walks so I think they'l be fine for this, given I'm used to the weight of the SZ2000... I've
had full open headphones and they were terrible for train commuting.. I really wish I could try them :frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #532 of 1,501
@ReaperZzZ, have you considered the MassDrop TH-X00 series (Mahogany, Purple Heart and Ebony - slightly different sounds but all are quite similar to the TH-900) since they are priced a bit cheaper at $400, $450, $500 but like the original TH-900 the cables are not removable and they are quite long with a 6.3mm jack. These are quite easy to mod with SMC jacks without any cutting so its something to consider.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #533 of 1,501
@DavidA I hadn't to be honest, I'm basing my picks from the Top10 basshead thread because well, I'm a basshead through and through.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/

I'm happy to spend the money on good audio, and who knows i may find myself listening to them at home, although it's unlikely as I have a fairly detailed Yamaha / Paradigm / Velodyne setup for home listening :) and the girlfriend can sleep through "anything"

Maybe I should be looking at the Sony MDR-XB1000 as they isolate well, but I think I'd prefer the quality overall from the TH900, as I mentioned I often spend multiple hours walking out and about, and at that point pushing the volume won't be an issue... But there's none brand new, which is a big preference to myself.

Ugh :frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #534 of 1,501
@ReaperZzZ, Just looked at the list and I didn't know that my TH-600 is on the list, LOL, but I don't consider my self a bass-head. The one headphone that I usually use if I want bass is my HE400 that has been modded, it goes low, has very clean and detailed bass that is never out of control, and with the mods has turned into a great sounding headphone. I think you can probably get the TH-X00 to match the TH-900 just by changing ear pads and maybe use a attenuation ring. For portable use the stock cables of all the TH series are way too long so if you don't want to do any mods then the TH-900 mk2 would be your best choice at this time.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #535 of 1,501
@DavidA I'm not sure either. I'm going by the paper shake test and they perform exceptionally in that.. Us bassheads like to tweak the EQ in ways a lot of critical listeners don't, so perhaps that's why.

You raise a good point about the cable length of the the 600/900mk1 though, although I'm struggling to justify sure spending that much extra to get the mk2 to simply give me an exchangeable cable.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #536 of 1,501
@DavidA I'm not sure either. I'm going by the paper shake test and they perform exceptionally in that.. Us bassheads like to tweak the EQ in ways a lot of critical listeners don't, so perhaps that's why.

You raise a good point about the cable length of the the 600/900mk1 though, although I'm struggling to justify sure spending that much extra to get the mk2 to simply give me an exchangeable cable.
If you can solder then the SMC jacks are easy to install and don't require any mods to the cups, baffle or frame. Here's a picture of my TH-600 with SMC jacks:
20150523_071607.jpg

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #539 of 1,501
@DavidA I've tracked down someone who's good at soldering, could you perhaps link me to more info regarding those mods, and where i might purchase a suitable cable to go into them ? :) I'm thinking 1.5m would be a good length, and this can be done on the TH900mk1 right? .. Thanks !

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #540 of 1,501
@DavidA I've tracked down someone who's good at soldering, could you perhaps link me to more info regarding those mods, and where i might purchase a suitable cable to go into them ? :) I'm thinking 1.5m would be a good length, and this can be done on the TH900mk1 right? .. Thanks !

The SMC jacks that fit without mods to the cups, baffle or frame of the TH900: https://vetco.net/products/smc-female-chassis-mount-connector/pan-smc-2963

For cables you can use any cable that is terminated with SMC jacks like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2m-4ft-H...m=391853920891&_trksid=p2045573.c100753.m4841
or you can build them using Mogami or Canare cables for $40-60, here are a few that I've built for my self
5ft cable.jpg

Cables-SMC.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back