Fostex TH900 MkII
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #541 of 1,501
The SMC jacks that fit without mods to the cups, baffle or frame of the TH900: https://vetco.net/products/smc-female-chassis-mount-connector/pan-smc-2963
Perfect, thank you !! :) I've emailed a couple of local electronic retailers here in New Zealand to see if they can supply the same thing, otherwise I'll just order those.

That cable looks awesome ! As my SZ2000's cable was 1.2m , that's the perfect length for me, time to track some down with a 3.5mm plug rather than the 6.3mm plug.. that image looks like it's 3.5mm actually, i'll message the seller! :)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #542 of 1,501
So I bit the bullet and purchased some Fostex Th900mk2, a local audio store are importing them for me cheaper than I could via ebay, and it'l give me a local warranty source too. They'e a going to help me with a customised cable.

My excitement level is 43838386161/10!!

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #543 of 1,501
@DavidA I hadn't to be honest, I'm basing my picks from the Top10 basshead thread because well, I'm a basshead through and through.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/

I'm happy to spend the money on good audio, and who knows i may find myself listening to them at home, although it's unlikely as I have a fairly detailed Yamaha / Paradigm / Velodyne setup for home listening :) and the girlfriend can sleep through "anything"

Maybe I should be looking at the Sony MDR-XB1000 as they isolate well, but I think I'd prefer the quality overall from the TH900, as I mentioned I often spend multiple hours walking out and about, and at that point pushing the volume won't be an issue... But there's none brand new, which is a big preference to myself.

Ugh :frowning2:

Having a TH900 mk2, Fostex Mahogany, and the EMU Ebonies I can confirm the sound signatures are very very similar. Not exact, but all sound so good it doesn't matter to me the practically imperceptible differences. But I love the Fostex line up and am looking to get a few more sets in different wood cup setups even if they all sound similar to each other. I know I'm crazy :)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #544 of 1,501
@Humblepie i think majority of us here are a little crazy :k701smile:.

I appreciate your input.

@jmills8 I see you use your TH900 out and about a lot, I notice you mention people next to you can hear it in a room, but how about bus/train.. I too like to listen at "above average" levels, however thankfully here I'm New Zealand the population density is low, and people don't tend to talk much which will benefit me I hope :)

It's great reading through this thread and see a few others have paired the Th900 with the Oppo HA-2 due to its compatibility with low impedance headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #545 of 1,501
The first week with these cans was rough. Couldn't handle the brightness and sibilance. After a couple weeks of burn in or my brain adjusting to the sound I cant stop listening. The harshness from treble and sibilance has settled down big time. Anyone else experience this?

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #546 of 1,501
The first week with these cans was rough. Couldn't handle the brightness and sibilance. After a couple weeks of burn in or my brain adjusting to the sound I cant stop listening. The harshness from treble and sibilance has settled down big time. Anyone else experience this?
Yes, I just find them very revealing, open and dynamic now. I love their sound!

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #547 of 1,501
Your anp and dac can help or create too much treble. On Hugo, Hugo 2 and ifi Bl the TH900 sounds perfect.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #548 of 1,501
Your anp and dac can help or create too much treble. On Hugo, Hugo 2 and ifi Bl the TH900 sounds perfect.

Nice! Im actually ordering a ifi BL soon. Looking forward to pairing the two. I also heard a member mention he has had good results with using the schiit loki and boosting the low frequencies and reducing the higher ones. Havent messed with yet though as I'm quite pleased with the sound right now

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #551 of 1,501
Is not the Hugo2 and the Ifi BL sound too bright for the Fostex?

With the Mojo I have tried them and if it sounds very warm.
Not at all.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #552 of 1,501
What a coincidence, just got my ifi BL two days ago and I've been playing around with it and the th900. It's an awesome pairing and definitely rattles my skull.

What I didn't like is the channel imbalance at low volumes. I can't take volume too high so I've been playing with the ultra sensitivity ie match option and either on the eco or standard setting. More test need. So far I'm loving it.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #553 of 1,501
What a coincidence, just got my ifi BL two days ago and I've been playing around with it and the th900. It's an awesome pairing and definitely rattles my skull.

What I didn't like is the channel imbalance at low volumes. I can't take volume too high so I've been playing with the ultra sensitivity ie match option and either on the eco or standard setting. More test need. So far I'm loving it.

And do you confirm that you do not notice the sound too sharp or bright?

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #554 of 1,501
Just saw this thread is recent, so I'm cross posting from AFC and Cascade threads.

So I re-auditioned the Cascade, Aeon F Closed and the TH900 today, and I've backflipped and bought the AFC. The AFC seems to strike a good balance between the other 2 with a great soundstage, imaging, and flat neutral to Harmon neutral response. The TH900 has a mega wow factor- spectacular s-stage, imaging, and brilliant bass slam. However, I feel it's treble is just slightly too grating on some material and it may not be a keeper in the long run. The Cascade, on the other hand, is pretty unique. It's a basshead can in the high end tier, and it also happens to have a very fine mid range and treble, with an above average wide (for a closed can) soundstage . I think it will be my next purchase as it will complement my collection very well. It just does something no other can does to this level. I admit I did have some not so positive things to say about these models recently, but I don't know why I've changed my mind almost completely on third audition. But anyway, these are my thoughts (at this moment ) and I hope it's helpful to others.
PS, I may reconsider the TH900 if it comes down in price.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #555 of 1,501
Decided to purchase a Cayin C5 for our and about, as my Oppo HA-2 wasn't giving me enough juice (bit of a basshead), it'll be interesting to see how it compares from a tonal perspective.

If anyone is using their th900's out and about, what are you using to drive these bad boys? :)

I'm hoping the dac in my phone is half decent and will give me comparable sound to the oppo HA-2's dac

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back