Fostex TH900 MkII
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #976 of 1,501
Interesting
It's a decent headphone by itself, kind of similar signature to TH900 (bass-heavy with recessed mids), but doesn't have the same bass quality.
Great for the price, not a TOTL killer like Pro82/GM200.

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #979 of 1,501
Dec 8, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #982 of 1,501
just out of curiosity, is anyone here using the TH900's as a reference Headphone meaning to mix or are you using it to listen to music only?
TH900 has an extreme V-shape FR, your mixes would be horrible.
They would only sound OK to other TH900 owners :jecklinsmile:

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #983 of 1,501
TH900 has an extreme V-shape FR, your mixes would be horrible.
They would only sound OK to other TH900 owners :jecklinsmile:
The use of "only" negates everything you said and will say.

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #984 of 1,501
New owner checking in.

I'm really worried I made a mistake by plumping for the TH900 now after having just found out about the Takstar Pro 82. Did I mistake?

AchingEmptyGallinule-max-1mb.gif

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #987 of 1,501
I've only had the red ones. I own both mk1 and 2. I'm still modding the mk 1. I purchased Lawton level 5 cups and ear pads. Instead of his dampening material I used dynamat extreme. With the mod I found Lawton's pads to bright and I didn't find the bass to my licking so I flipped the mk2 with the Lawton. The switch helped both headphones. I need a dampening material over the driver and currently using the tuning material from Dan Clark Audio. Which tamed that brightness real quick, but maybe too tamed. Over my 9 day vacation I'll finish them up.

Just now I put zmf Oval Suede and bass went bananas need to tame but the ticker damping cuts out upper mids making more tolerable but loose that enjoy region. But bass is god level.
Gonna try the Oval Suede on my reds. I'm trying to tame highs a little bit add some warmth

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #988 of 1,501
Recently i just bought this used, but i had concern in my mind regarding the genuity of the driver since all fostex headphone i think it's easily to mod/replace with cup or driver change, i already had 610 and i think it's cannot be differentiate with th900 if someone change the earcup for example

How do i know if the unit not being tampering or modify heavily like change The other fostex model cup with the red one or change the driver inside the cup ? is there any way to tell without dissemble it ? if i must dissemble it to tell, how do i know, is the genuine th900 driver have special property on it like serial or certain trait ?!

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #989 of 1,501
Recently i just bought this used, but i had concern in my mind regarding the genuity of the driver since all fostex headphone i think it's easily to mod/replace with cup or driver change, i already had 610 and i think it's cannot be differentiate with th900 if someone change the earcup for example

How do i know if the unit not being tampering or modify heavily like change The other fostex model cup with the red one or change the driver inside the cup ? is there any way to tell without dissemble it ? if i must dissemble it to tell, how do i know, is the genuine th900 driver have special property on it like serial or certain trait ?!

That's an interesting question, I'd like to hear some opinions on that as well

Dec 15, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #990 of 1,501
just out of curiosity, is anyone here using the TH900's as a reference Headphone meaning to mix or are you using it to listen to music only?
I don't think that the TH900 Mk2 can be classified as a "Reference" headphone; far from it, actually. However, as a music-listening tool - and if you enjoy the type of music that's best-suited to this headphone's strengths (e.g. EDM, in its many guises) - you probably can't do better than the Fostex. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back