Fostex TH900 MkII
Jul 28, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #916 of 1,501
Do these scale well or is it fine to just throw an Asgard3 at them and call it a day?

I've been searching for a headphone and my favorite I have ever owned was the TR-X00 PH which died due to gimbal failing. So.. I kinda had it in my mind I wouldn't try to TH-900 MK2 because of this. I think I was wrong to do this as I'm wondering if the TH-900 was the one I've been looking for all along.
I think my pair sounds significantly better off of my Burson Soloist 3XP than my cheaper gear. The 900’s have sounded “good” off of all my sources, but the extra quality power really makes them better in all aspects, I think.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #917 of 1,501
Do these scale well or is it fine to just throw an Asgard3 at them and call it a day?

I've been searching for a headphone and my favorite I have ever owned was the TR-X00 PH which died due to gimbal failing. So.. I kinda had it in my mind I wouldn't try to TH-900 MK2 because of this. I think I was wrong to do this as I'm wondering if the TH-900 was the one I've been looking for all along.
They scale, but I think they're more amp dependent than DAC dependent. I find a good tube amp works best.

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #918 of 1,501

They are ridiculously easy to drive, so practically any amp will do, as long as it doesn't have a warm tilt.

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #919 of 1,501
IME these phones do scale with better amps and DACs. The more you give them the more they can offer you. My amp progression while also owning TH900mk2 & TH909 was Jot 2 & Liquid Platinum to Violectric V281 and DACs, Bifrost 2 to Soekris dac1541 and most recently I added a Holo Spring 3. With that said I was extremely happy with them working off the Jot 2 & Liquid Platinum and Bifrost 2 - there was not a need to upgrade those components for the headphones specifically. The updates I made to my source were just that, me updating my sources. The TH9xx's I have just happened to benefit as a result.

Also, sometimes drivers die, components fail. It happens. It's not necessarily a reason to avoid a specific brand/type, unless the failures are disproportionately wide spread, and that could even be due to a bad batch etc.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #920 of 1,501
I think my pair sounds significantly better off of my Burson Soloist 3XP than my cheaper gear. The 900’s have sounded “good” off of all my sources, but the extra quality power really makes them better in all aspects, I think.

They scale, but I think they're more amp dependent than DAC dependent. I find a good tube amp works best.

IME these phones do scale with better amps and DACs. The more you give them the more they can offer you. My amp progression was Jot 2 & Liquid Platinum to Violectric V281 and DACs, Bifrost 2 to Soekris dac1541 and most recently I added a Holo Spring 3. With that said I was extremely happy with them working off the Jot 2 & Liquid Platinum and Bifrost 2 - there was not a need to upgrade those components for the headphones specifically. The updates I made to my source were just that, me updating my sources. The TH9xx's I have just happened to benefit as a result.

Also, sometimes drivers die, components fail. It happens. It's not necessarily a reason to avoid a specific brand/type, unless the failures are disproportionately wide spread, and that could even be due to a bad batch etc.
I know, I was just heart broken. I loved my PHs lol. They got me into audio. The TH-900 would be a good way to honor them.

Thanks all for the input! Yeah I was looking at a some burson stuff and the jot2. There is a lot of fun in just researching new gear

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #921 of 1,501
I have my 900 and use them on Woo WA5 LE which is a big tube amp. I find the 900 strange for closed back headphones. It doesn't sound closed in. There is depth like my open back headphones. The 900 separation is top notch for edm. So like my 1266 these I couldn't sell.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #922 of 1,501
I have received these and am impressed so far. Running off the 6.35mm port on my IFI Diablo and they sound great.

Should I be looking at a cable replacement with balanced connector for these?

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #923 of 1,501
I have received these and am impressed so far. Running off the 6.35mm port on my IFI Diablo and they sound great.

No

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #924 of 1,501

Balanced connector isn't needed but as far as I can see Diablo isn't some insanely powerful source. I have three different cables for my TH900mk2 and I can tell you that - they do react to different cables. If you're feeling like changing/tuning their tonality more to your liking, then go ahead. I find the stock cable to make their bass too loose and the lower treble far to bright to sound natural. Astral Acoustics SSPC cable does wonders with TH900 increasing bass control and resolution and taming the treble peak but keeping them quite bright still, which brings forth the midrange without actually making them sound more in-your-face. Besides they sound way more holographic and the soundstage improves by quite a bit, showing some depth at last. On stock it's wide but damn flat.
P.S. Listening with both Aune S6Pro and Burson C3X Performance.

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #925 of 1,501
Balanced connector isn't needed but as far as I can see Diablo isn't some insanely powerful source. I have three different cables for my TH900mk2 and I can tell you that - they do react to different cables. If you're feeling like changing/tuning their tonality more to your liking, then go ahead. I find the stock cable to make their bass too loose and the lower treble far to bright to sound natural. Astral Acoustics SSPC cable does wonders with TH900 increasing bass control and resolution and taming the treble peak but keeping them quite bright still, which brings forth the midrange without actually making them sound more in-your-face. Besides they sound way more holographic and the soundstage improves by quite a bit, showing some depth at last. On stock it's wide but damn flat.
P.S. Listening with both Aune S6Pro and Burson C3X Performance.
Which version of the Astral Acoustics cable do you have?

Aug 29, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #926 of 1,501
Which version of the Astral Acoustics cable do you have?
SSPC - it's in the "Wire supplies" section if you're curious. When I asked for a cable that would be neutral in terms of sound signature but at the same time transparent and with good technicalities, that's what they suggested as the perfect option and I think it was a great recommendation. I love the cable, it's looks and build. Wasn't cheap but if you ask me, it was worth every penny.

Attachments

• IMG_20210830_012909.jpg
    IMG_20210830_012909.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 29, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #927 of 1,501
SSPC - it's in the "Wire supplies" section if you're curious. When I asked for a cable that would be neutral in terms of sound signature but at the same time transparent and with good technicalities, that's what they suggested as the perfect option and I think it was a great recommendation. I love the cable, it's looks and build. Wasn't cheap but if you ask me, it was worth every penny.
It is a great looking cable. All their cables look great looking at their lineup.

Aug 29, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #929 of 1,501
I have two other cables fro mAstral Acoustics, but for IEMs. Their line-up underwent a revamp some time ago though and now they offer much more high-quality cables :)
Most of their cables seem to be for IEM’s. I take it your cable is a special order?

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #930 of 1,501
Is the Hugo 2 a good pairing for the Fostex TH900 MKII?

I don't need a transportable Amp/Dac however, should I be considering anything else at that price point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back