Fostex TH900 MkII
Jul 2, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #901 of 1,501
I do daily 5 mile walks, are these any good for outdoors use (obv not when its raining)?
TH900 are "semi-closed", can't even block air-conditioning noise in an office.
You would have to raise volume to unsafe (for healthy hearing) levels to block street noises.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #902 of 1,501
TH900 are "semi-closed", can't even block air-conditioning noise in an office.
You would have to raise volume to unsafe (for healthy hearing) levels to block street noises.
6 years in stand room only crowded trains and no big issues. 6 years using the th900 on the go.

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #904 of 1,501
Hong Kong has quiet train cars and people. Boston or NYC trains are so loud you need ANC or CIEM to just block out the trains nevermind the people.
Ill be in Boston this August , so Boston is full of animals and bad behaving humans ? Also if Hong Kong is quiet wouldnt the people pressing on my back and the person Im pressing in front of me hear my music ?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #905 of 1,501
Ill be in Boston this August , so Boston is full of animals and bad behaving humans ? Also if Hong Kong is quiet wouldnt the people pressing on my back and the person Im pressing in front of me hear my music ?

In Boston it's more the train noise than the animals. First subway system in the world and all that but we definitely have a fair share of animals too. Enjoy Boston my guy. I would usally say pack light because of how humid July and August are here but I think someone from HK and Miami has humidity covered.

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #906 of 1,501
In Boston it's more the train noise than the animals. First subway system in the world and all that but we definitely have a fair share of animals too. Enjoy Boston my guy. I would usally say pack light because of how humid July and August are here but I think someone from HK and Miami has humidity covered.
HK is way more humid than Miami Beach.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #907 of 1,501
Listening to all kinds of stuff about 40 hours burn in. This is a GEM of a phone. Anything I throw at it sounds great. Terms that immediately come to mind: expansive, wide open, rich, immersive, textured, musical, detailed. It’s the best sound of anything else, either loudspeaker or headphone, that I’ve heard. Thankfully, and completes the package for me, it eq’s REALLY well if you wanna tone shape to spice up some older recordings you may love. Example Rush Fly by Night. I have always loved Rush but many of their albums need help. They just do. Fly By Night even on the best system needs more treble and sometimes more bass to sound engaging. These phones really do well with that kind of tone shaping.
These are unquestionably keepers for me. Listen to Cafe Blue, Patricia Barber with NO EQ. It’ll bowl you over.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #908 of 1,501
Oh, comparison. Spent several hours with Audeze LCD 2 closed at a shop. TH900 blows it out of the water by a large margin for every trait mentioned earlier. If lcd 2 is somehow better technically with mids (and it can’t be by much, I’ll bet you that), I don’t care. Fostex sounds SO MUCH BETTER!

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #909 of 1,501
Oh, comparison. Spent several hours with Audeze LCD 2 closed at a shop. TH900 blows it out of the water by a large margin for every trait mentioned earlier. If lcd 2 is somehow better technically with mids (and it can’t be by much, I’ll bet you that), I don’t care. Fostex sounds SO MUCH BETTER!
The LCD-2 Closed Back has excellent technical aspects, especially considering its price tag (it's under $1,000). Still, I'd grab the TH900 Mk2 any time of the day - it's a more engaging, fun, and throughly musical experience. It doesn't help that it handles EDM (my genre of choice) much, much better.

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #910 of 1,501
60 plus hours in. God, even smoother and more dynamic! Just gets better and better! So happy with this purchase! Gonna lead me to upgrade my loudspeakers in my big rig lol!

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #912 of 1,501
Apologies if this has been covered but can someone point me to the replacement pads for the 900mk2 that tames the treble a smidge. Loving them but I’m finding them a tad fizzy on certain tracks. But love the rest of the sound.
If you have high quality EQ add 2db at 80 Hz 1 octave BW. Treble is perfectly balanced across all recordings doing this, I’ve found. A lot easier than swapping pads.

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #913 of 1,501
If you have high quality EQ add 2db at 80 Hz 1 octave BW. Treble is perfectly balanced across all recordings doing this, I’ve found. A lot easier than swapping pads.
Th900 needs that boost there anyway to round out the bass. I just feel that region of bass frequency response is missing more than the treble is hot. I say this because good recordings instrumental jazz etc the cymbals sound right as rain and not tizzy.

Jul 25, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #914 of 1,501
Several listening sessions later, and with added assurance, I’m going to reaffirm this statement. I now add that 80 Hz bump to everything I listen to. This headphone is now perfect. No edgy treble either.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #915 of 1,501
Do these scale well or is it fine to just throw an Asgard3 at them and call it a day?

I've been searching for a headphone and my favorite I have ever owned was the TR-X00 PH which died due to gimbal failing. So.. I kinda had it in my mind I wouldn't try to TH-900 MK2 because of this. I think I was wrong to do this as I'm wondering if the TH-900 was the one I've been looking for all along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back