Fostex TH900 MkII
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #586 of 1,501
Hi all!
I've been a Fostex fan for quite a while, I've got the D2000, D5000 and now the TH-600.
I've just purchased the FiiO Q5 for about € 200 based on the opinion of this forum.
I'm planning to buy the TH-900mk2 (or the 909 when more reviews will be out) by the end of the year and I was wondering if the Q5 could be a good pairing going balanced (or changing the amp module) or I should sell it and get a mojo or xDSD.

Thank in advance!

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #587 of 1,501
Hi all!
I've been a Fostex fan for quite a while, I've got the D2000, D5000 and now the TH-600.
I've just purchased the FiiO Q5 for about € 200 based on the opinion of this forum.
I'm planning to buy the TH-900mk2 (or the 909 when more reviews will be out) by the end of the year and I was wondering if the Q5 could be a good pairing going balanced (or changing the amp module) or I should sell it and get a mojo or xDSD.

Thank in advance!
Mojo with headphone is soso. Best all rounder is ifi bl.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #588 of 1,501
Hey all,

I've got my LCD-Xs up for sale. They never really impressed me - although they are very neutral. I've came to the conclusion that I prefer a v-shaped sound signature and just want an insanely fun set of cans. I've gotta be honest with myself. I am looking for quality, though.

I have an Audinst HUD-MX1 now, from years ago. The LCD-X are low impedance, so I never thought it'd be an issue driving them.

However, I've been toying around with the idea of changing my DAC out as well, because I wanted to move toward end-game territory. Things like the Oppo HA-1, or the Marantz HD-DAC1, or the Schiit Jotunheim. A really nice, all inclusive unit that will last at least a decade or more.

Anywho, a lot of my research pushed me towards the Fostex/Denon family of headphones - u-shaped, or v-shaped with clarity and build quality. I've owned D2000s that I adored, in fact, more than my LCD-Xs. Now, I'm considering Denon D7200s, Fostex 900s, Beyer 1990, etc, and I think I'm going to get myself a pair of TH900 MK2s in the limited edition Emerald Green.

Was wondering what to expect, ideally if anyone has auditioned both the LCD-X and the TH900s. Is this a safe blind buy, considering a return window, if I'm unable to try them?

Thanks all.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #589 of 1,501
Hey all,

I've got my LCD-Xs up for sale. They never really impressed me - although they are very neutral. I've came to the conclusion that I prefer a v-shaped sound signature and just want an insanely fun set of cans. I've gotta be honest with myself. I am looking for quality, though.

I have an Audinst HUD-MX1 now, from years ago. The LCD-X are low impedance, so I never thought it'd be an issue driving them.

However, I've been toying around with the idea of changing my DAC out as well, because I wanted to move toward end-game territory. Things like the Oppo HA-1, or the Marantz HD-DAC1, or the Schiit Jotunheim. A really nice, all inclusive unit that will last at least a decade or more.

Anywho, a lot of my research pushed me towards the Fostex/Denon family of headphones - u-shaped, or v-shaped with clarity and build quality. I've owned D2000s that I adored, in fact, more than my LCD-Xs. Now, I'm considering Denon D7200s, Fostex 900s, Beyer 1990, etc, and I think I'm going to get myself a pair of TH900 MK2s in the limited edition Emerald Green.

Was wondering what to expect, ideally if anyone has auditioned both the LCD-X and the TH900s. Is this a safe blind buy, considering a return window, if I'm unable to try them?

Thanks all.
Hey all,

Thanks all.
7200 soso, sort of lacking top end.
20170712_105146.jpg

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #590 of 1,501
7200 soso, sort of lacking top end.

I hear a lot of comparisons between the 900MK2, and the Massdrop X00. Are the 900s worth, at this rate, 1200 dollars more? I hear that the X00s maintain the v-shaped signature without harsh treble the 900s may be known for - but again, that just might be haters who don't own the 900s. Both are well within my price range, but I'd also prefer to not go for something I can get in the X00s!

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #591 of 1,501
I hear a lot of comparisons between the 900MK2, and the Massdrop X00. Are the 900s worth, at this rate, 1200 dollars more? I hear that the X00s maintain the v-shaped signature without harsh treble the 900s may be known for - but again, that just might be haters who don't own the 900s. Both are well within my price range, but I'd also prefer to not go for something I can get in the X00s!
Wider sound stage, more details, better built, better drivers.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #593 of 1,501
Ah, figured as much. I guess after my deep buyer's remorse after purchasing the LCD-Xs all those years ago, I'm a little scared to jump into a completely new brand and tech.

What do you prefer driving them with?
They dont need loads of power but it will scale with more. Cayin N8 dap pushes them well. Mass Kobo is excellent.
20190203_180734.jpg

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #595 of 1,501
That's a beautiful DAC! (And amp)
Dap is Cowon Pleneu L, amp is Mass Kobo in 4.4 balance. Sounds like a home system on the go.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #596 of 1,501
I auditioned the LCD X through a mojo and for me mids were shouty, I couldn't get pass that to listen to other characteristics.

I've had the ebony Massdrop, it's an economical TH-900. You will know which is the flagship product between the two.

For amp, I've been enjoying it with the cma600i.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #597 of 1,501
I auditioned the LCD X through a mojo and for me mids were shouty, I couldn't get pass that to listen to other characteristics.

I've had the ebony Massdrop, it's an economical TH-900. You will know which is the flagship product between the two.

For amp, I've been enjoying it with the cma600i.

Thanks for the input. The massdrop cans are sexy indeed. I really think this will be the sound signature I settle on for the discernible future. I think I might just take the jump and grab the green TH900s from Amazon and return if I'm monumentally disappointed. Doesn't seem to be much of a used market for them in particular.

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #598 of 1,501
Additionally, what’s the good word on amp/dac suggestions for the TH900MK2?

My gut is telling me to go to the Marantz combo, or even the Audiogd in this event, but if treble is as high as predicted, would WA7 Fireflies be out of the question?

Basically; what amps and DACs is everyone satisfied with?

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #599 of 1,501
I like my MK2's with tubes. I've had mine paired with a Icon HP8 Mk2 for quite some time.

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #600 of 1,501
I like my MK2's with tubes. I've had mine paired with a Icon HP8 Mk2 for quite some time.
Cool! I was always interested in tube amps, but never had a headphone that would benefit from them. Am I correct that a tube will settle some of that harsh treble?

I actually found some used Emerald Green TH900s for sale that I'm really considering jumping on at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back