Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #5,268 of 18,761
Quote:

I just purchased this amp, but still awaiting shipment from japan. Of course I do not own the TH900, but I have to say I am very tempted to get one after hearing so many good things just of the TH900, and especially so when paired with the bakoon. I hope it works just as well with my HE-500, from all that I've read of this amp, it supposedly does very well with every TOTL headphone. It looks like a nice size. Smaller than I was expecting.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #5,269 of 18,761
In the past few months I've off loaded a bunch of gear but I find myself unable to sell my TH-900s...  I have simply experienced nothing else like them and am convinced I would miss them too much if I sold them.  So alas, they remain:

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #5,270 of 18,761
Quote:
In the past few months I've off loaded a bunch of gear but I find myself unable to sell my TH-900s...  I have simply experienced nothing else like them and am convinced I would miss them too much if I sold them.  So alas, they remain:

beerchug.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #5,271 of 18,761

I see that you have sold a HD800 and also a LCD-2/3, all of which I have been considering getting. What didn't you like about them compared to the TH-900?

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #5,272 of 18,761
Quote:

Quote:
I see that you have sold a HD800 and also a LCD-2/3, all of which I have been considering getting. What didn't you like about them compared to the TH-900?

The HD-800 is extremely comfortable, stylish, and well worth the price if you prefer analytical headphones that pick every single detail out of the music but to me they just weren't a perfect match because I prefer musicality and fun vs. reference and analytical.  The HD-800s are extremely good though but just were not my cup of tea.  I've owned them like 3 times.

The LCD-2s/3 were a much better fit for me than the HD-800s but I could never get over the mad scientist look vs. the simple, stylish, high-end look of the TH-900s which still looked like headphones.  I also didn't enjoy the pressure from the LCD-2s which for me had a vice grip like hold on my skull.  The LCD-3s were much better at this, the pads are a significant improvement in my opinion, but in the end, I still preferred the TH-900s which just fit me personally.

What works for me may definitely not work for you.  Each person is different and therefore I may seem out of my mind when you try them and experience a completely different reaction. 

The TH-900s are stylish, sleek, light, easy on the ears, bass surgeons who have spent years honing their craft, and are just down right fun to listen to.  The decay and low THD is the magic mojo that sets them apart.

The next best thing for me is the LCD-3s which still have that crazy mad scientist look but are extremely comfortable, cool looking, and a great listen.  I also really enjoyed the Ultrasone Signature series.  I will likely permanently own a pair of Sig DJs in the future.  I regret selling my pair.

In the end, for the type of preferences that I have, and the music that I listen to, the TH-900s are as close to a perfect headphone I've found.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5,274 of 18,761
Quote:

Might I ask what your amp / dac are?

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #5,276 of 18,761
I have decided to sell both my AKG K-1000 and Sennheiser HD800 for only one reason, they leak too much sound. Although there is a wall between my 'music room' and our bedroom, during late night sessions they leak too much sound to the bedroom. Hence, I need some isolation. Enter, the Fostex TH-900. I have one question, as you can see in my profile I do not have a headphone amplifier, but a (low gain) speaker amplifier. I know, I can always opt for an aftermarket cable (and I probably will), but I first want to get an idea about how they sound in my system. Do adaptors exist that convert a headphone jack into speaker-level connection (left +/-, right +/-). I prefer not to damage the cable.
Thanks for your advice.

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #5,277 of 18,761
Quote:
I have decided to sell both my AKG K-1000 and Sennheiser HD800 for only one reason, they leak too much sound. Although there is a wall between my 'music room' and our bedroom, during late night sessions they leak too much sound to the bedroom. Hence, I need some isolation. Enter, the Fostex TH-900. I have one question, as you can see in my profile I do not have a headphone amplifier, but a (low gain) speaker amplifier. I know, I can always opt for an aftermarket cable (and I probably will), but I first want to get an idea about how they sound in my system. Do adaptors exist that convert a headphone jack into speaker-level connection (left +/-, right +/-). I prefer not to damage the cable.
Thanks for your advice.

It's possible, but the problem is that the TRS jack has shared grounds which will cause issues with your amp. The solution? Enter, The Can Opener!

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #5,279 of 18,761
Quote:

Dear brunk, Thank you very much. A bit expensive, but of course cheaper than recabling it. 
By the way, what is inside the box?

You're welcome. All that's inside is just a small handful of resistors and some wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back