Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #4,891 of 18,760
Quote:
Well....I finally caved!  I'm not sure if I should be cursing you guys or thanking you. 
wink_face.gif
  After reading every page of this thread, I broke down and sold everything I could and purchased a pair of these phones.  My only regret is that I didn't pull the trigger sooner, although I would've missed the price decrease.  These are definitely the best headphones I've ever heard, and are exactly my kind of sound!   They are definitely an "end game" headphone, and I could be happy with these as my only can!  Of course I'm a HF'er, so there will probably be others in my future(PS1K), but these are keepers.

Now I need an amp and DAC for these, and I'm looking to spend around $1,500.  I'm having a hard time with the decision, I want to make sure to get something that really works well with the 900s.  My short list is the Burson Conductor SL9018, the Fostex HP-A8, or used Burson HA-160D paired with a used Solo.  The used Burson equipment does allow me to upgrade the DAC down the road, since DAC technology advances so fast.  I would love to hear others' opinions or recommendations.  I just ordered the the TH-600 for my wife, so both cans are low ohm/high sensitive, so that makes a difference.  Here's a couple of pics with the new Hi-Fi M8, they sure are pretty!!

I can testify that the Yulong DA8 at $1,299 is an outstanding DAC and the internal amp is just great for them. Don't let that internal amp fool you, it has a lot of good things going for it. Of course you can't go wrong with Fostex's own DAC/Amp either. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #4,892 of 18,760
Quote:
Well....I finally caved!  I'm not sure if I should be cursing you guys or thanking you. 
wink_face.gif
  After reading every page of this thread, I broke down and sold everything I could and purchased a pair of these phones.  My only regret is that I didn't pull the trigger sooner, although I would've missed the price decrease.  These are definitely the best headphones I've ever heard, and are exactly my kind of sound!   They are definitely an "end game" headphone, and I could be happy with these as my only can!  Of course I'm a HF'er, so there will probably be others in my future(PS1K), but these are keepers.

Now I need an amp and DAC for these, and I'm looking to spend around $1,500.  I'm having a hard time with the decision, I want to make sure to get something that really works well with the 900s.  My short list is the Burson Conductor SL9018, the Fostex HP-A8, or used Burson HA-160D paired with a used Solo.  The used Burson equipment does allow me to upgrade the DAC down the road, since DAC technology advances so fast.  I would love to hear others' opinions or recommendations.  I just ordered the the TH-600 for my wife, so both cans are low ohm/high sensitive, so that makes a difference.  Here's a couple of pics with the new Hi-Fi M8, they sure are pretty!!

WA7, done. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #4,894 of 18,760
Quote:
I forgot to add that I need coaxial or optical inputs.  I thought highly of the W7, but saw that it only has USB input.

Oh... 
frown.gif

Well, most here have said the Burson stuff plays nice, although I didn't quite like the pairing with my HA-160 or the Soloist. DAC wise - the sky is the limit, but I really liked the Yulong D18, the new DA8 looks intriguing. There is always the Schiit offerings, Gungnir or Bifrost (Uber?). Also the X-Sabre has some love here as well. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #4,895 of 18,760
Quote:

Oh... 
frown.gif

Well, most here have said the Burson stuff plays nice, although I didn't quite like the pairing with my HA-160 or the Soloist. DAC wise - the sky is the limit, but I really liked the Yulong D18, the new DA8 looks intriguing. There is always the Schiit offerings, Gungnir or Bifrost (Uber?). Also the X-Sabre has some love here as well. 

I'm not familiar with the Yulong, I'll check it out, thanks.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4,897 of 18,760
Quote:

Oh... 
frown.gif

The issue I had with the Burson Conductor and the TH900 is the TH900 are almost too sensitive. Even on low gain mode, the stepped volume knob was either too low or, on the next notch up, too loud for me with the TH900. Difficult to dial in your ideal volume. I bet it's the same way on the Soloist, although I have not tried.

It sounded good though aside from this, and if you like the sound signature of the TH900 with solid state (I prefer better vocals/mids) . 

I much prefer the Audeze cans on the Conductor  since they seem more suited and well-matched to such a powerful amp. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #4,901 of 18,760
Like this? hehe 
eek.gif

Quote:

Although the price can really get up there if you like boutique parts - but going with stock.  Greed is right.

Is paralleling so many DACs the way to go?

Again the right Question! Even though we all agreed, it was stunning that so many chips in parallel still improved the whole sound experience, we also agreed, that this is quite a BIG thing to do... Just the power consumption is awesome. 12 Volt with 14A.... And still no HD Music? Challenge accepted! We needed a new DAC design which plays HD up to 192kHz / 24 bit AND sound as good as the DDDAC1543 MK2 on 44.1 / 16 material
Another view on the DDDAC1543mk2 240 chip version:
This was just great fun, even when the whole thing looks against everything you should do in high end audio (look at the wiring and wide space between boards) it was amazing that we still had improvement

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4,903 of 18,760
Quote:
Like this? hehe 
eek.gif

Is paralleling so many DACs the way to go?

Again the right Question! Even though we all agreed, it was stunning that so many chips in parallel still improved the whole sound experience, we also agreed, that this is quite a BIG thing to do... Just the power consumption is awesome. 12 Volt with 14A.... And still no HD Music? Challenge accepted! We needed a new DAC design which plays HD up to 192kHz / 24 bit AND sound as good as the DDDAC1543 MK2 on 44.1 / 16 material
Another view on the DDDAC1543mk2 240 chip version:
This was just great fun, even when the whole thing looks against everything you should do in high end audio (look at the wiring and wide space between boards) it was amazing that we still had improvement

What the $%^#$^   240 chips?  Never heard of such...

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #4,904 of 18,760

Users who are viewing this thread

Back