Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4,876 of 18,761
Quote:
The problem I see is you are mistaking detail with presentation (regarding your TH-900 vs PS1K comparison).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry123456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll re-read the reviews for each headphone to see what others say re the TH-900 detail. With me, that's really one key aspect

I mined the thread for some info on the TH-900 detail. Just wanted to post what I found in case it helps anyone else:

...the TH900 is what I would consider to be reference-grade in its detail, accuracy, and faithfulness to source material. Fortunately such detail never feels overwhelming to me. The TH900 is voiced in such a way as to avoid an un-involving or cold sound which is often (and often erroneously) associated with 'analytic' headphones. That's not to say the TH900 is warm, but rather that it is natural and involving.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread#post_8141969
============
the TH-900 ... are resolving enough (compared to D7000) to be on the same level as T1
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/4725#post_9631082
============
A few people have made similar comments about the HD-800s. The TH-900s (or TH-600s) are a fairly safe bet as far as headphones go. They work well out of most amps or devices (OTL tube amps excepted), they have an entertaining sound and a fair bit of detail. ... They don't have quite the finesse and resolution of the LCD-3s or top 'stats
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/4125#post_9396434
============
After more break-in on the TH900 the mids and treble are definitely clearer and more refined, smooth as you put it than the D7000s and, YES, the bass is much more defined on the TH900.  I'm loving these
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/3570#post_9260308
============
the TH-900s are boom boom pow + a whole lot of details at the same time. It's part of their magic. Fun AND detailed AND technically proficient.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/3135#post_9082001
============
The mids are still slightly recessed but these are one of the most detailed dynamic cans I have ever heard.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/3000#post_9048373

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #4,877 of 18,761
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on running the TH900 balanced. From what I've read these are relatively efficient headphones and as such may not benefit as much as some other headphones (esp. Sennheisers) from running balanced, but I think at a minimum, my balanced headphone amps always sound their best running in balanced mode, since they were designed that way. Any thoughts?

Also, I see that both Headamp (Jason) and TTVJ (Todd) have new pricing on these headphones - is there any particular reason to order from one over the other? Where can I get my headphones converted to balanced?

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #4,878 of 18,761
Getting mine balanced with Q cable from BTG. Hopefully get it back in a couple of weeks and we'll see how it goes.

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #4,879 of 18,761
Noooooooo!
Do not touch my Th900 
biggrin.gif
 like it stock, learned that from d7k

okay, a little curious on comparison but will need two copies , right?

My brain forgets stuff , I do not see how others are able to compare stuff from memory, must have special talent or something

In session with Th900 and loving it , Happy Sunday!!!

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #4,880 of 18,761
Quote:

I mined the thread for some info on the TH-900 detail. Just wanted to post what I found in case it helps anyone else:

...the TH900 is what I would consider to be reference-grade in its detail, accuracy, and faithfulness to source material. Fortunately such detail never feels overwhelming to me. The TH900 is voiced in such a way as to avoid an un-involving or cold sound which is often (and often erroneously) associated with 'analytic' headphones. That's not to say the TH900 is warm, but rather that it is natural and involving.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread#post_8141969
============
the TH-900 ... are resolving enough (compared to D7000) to be on the same level as T1
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/4725#post_9631082
============

+1

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #4,881 of 18,761
Quote:
Grado's are like a drug habit. They are highly addictive, but ultimately they are not good for you. After years of rehab you look back and go, "what was I thinking?"

yes but not all drugs are addictive, or bad for you, just illegal and frowned upon, like how many people don't like grado , but grados are great!

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #4,882 of 18,761
Does anyone have any info on the stock cable? Is it already wired at the cups for balanced and can be converted to 4-pin XLR by snipping the TRS plug? TIA

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4,883 of 18,761
It's a good question, many stock cables use a shared ground (since 1/8" and 1/4" TRS use a shared ground in the connector), which requires a true re-cabling, while in other headphones you can just re-terminate. I too would prefer re-termination, since by all accounts the stock cable is nice, and this is essentially a reversible process.

I did find this post, which makes it sound like people have been replacing cables, rather than re-terminating - link. It doesn't answer the particular question about whether the stock cable has separate grounds up to the connector, but it does answer another one - the stock holes for the cables are big enough to accommodate decent gauge balanced cables.

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #4,884 of 18,761
Quote:
It's a good question, many stock cables use a shared ground (since 1/8" and 1/4" TRS use a shared ground in the connector), which requires a true re-cabling, while in other headphones you can just re-terminate. I too would prefer re-termination, since by all accounts the stock cable is nice, and this is essentially a reversible process.

I did find this post, which makes it sound like people have been replacing cables, rather than re-terminating - link. It doesn't answer the particular question about whether the stock cable has separate grounds up to the connector, but it does answer another one - the stock holes for the cables are big enough to accommodate decent gauge balanced cables.

Yeah, what i would like to do is snip the cable at about 1ft. from the TRS plug and simply attach a 4-pin female XLR on that end and a 4-pin male on the headphone end. That way the cable is still stock, but it has added versatility for balanced operation. Just like what HifiMan has done with the HE-6 cable. Perhaps someone is able to dig up some clear pictures of the internal wiring inside the cups or has opened the TRS plug to verify this?

edit: I'm surprised this is a mystery in the Head-Fi community lol.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #4,885 of 18,761
There's no shared ground between the cups (through the headband) so there will be 4 wires at the plug. No one solders them at the Y connector. There are two wires in each cup as you would expect. I resoldered my Silver Dragon cable on. I started with a Black Dragon cable btw, I never saw the stock cable.

hth

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #4,886 of 18,761
Quote:
There's no shared ground between the cups (through the headband) so there will be 4 wires at the plug. No one solders them at the Y connector. There are two wires in each cup as you would expect. I resoldered my Silver Dragon cable on. I started with a Black Dragon cable btw, I never saw the stock cable.

hth

Many thanks for that info! Would you be able to tell us if the wires are color-coded by chance and which is which? TIA 
beerchug.gif

edit: if not, would you be able to ask the person who took off the stock cable?

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #4,887 of 18,761
If you are just adding an adapter just unscrew the stock connector and use your handy multimeter as you cut them to figure l/r. The TRS diagram is on the net. I assume you can find the corresponding ground by finding 25 ohm between the pos and one of the negs. An easier solution is a 9 volt battery. It will pop/scratch when u hook up the right pair to the pos & neg on the battery.

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #4,888 of 18,761
Quote:
If you are just adding an adapter just unscrew the stock connector and use your handy multimeter as you cut them to figure l/r. The TRS diagram is on the net. I assume you can find the corresponding ground by finding 25 ohm between the pos and one of the negs. An easier solution is a 9 volt battery. It will pop/scratch when u hook up the right pair to the pos & neg on the battery.

Simple enough, thanks.

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #4,889 of 18,761
Well....I finally caved!  I'm not sure if I should be cursing you guys or thanking you. 
wink_face.gif
  After reading every page of this thread, I broke down and sold everything I could and purchased a pair of these phones.  My only regret is that I didn't pull the trigger sooner, although I would've missed the price decrease.  These are definitely the best headphones I've ever heard, and are exactly my kind of sound!   They are definitely an "end game" headphone, and I could be happy with these as my only can!  Of course I'm a HF'er, so there will probably be others in my future(PS1K), but these are keepers.

Now I need an amp and DAC for these, and I'm looking to spend around $1,500.  I'm having a hard time with the decision, I want to make sure to get something that really works well with the 900s.  My short list is the Burson Conductor, the Fostex HP-A8, or used Burson HA-160D paired with a used Solo.  The used Burson equipment does allow me to upgrade the DAC down the road, since DAC technology advances so fast.  I would love to hear others' opinions or recommendations.  I just ordered the the TH-600 for my wife, so both cans are low ohm/high sensitive, so that makes a difference.  Here's a couple of pics with the new Hi-Fi M8, they sure are pretty!!

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4,890 of 18,761
Quote:
Well....I finally caved!  I'm not sure if I should be cursing you guys or thanking you. 
wink_face.gif
  After reading every page of this thread, I broke down and sold everything I could and purchased a pair of these phones.  My only regret is that I didn't pull the trigger sooner, although I would've missed the price decrease.  These are definitely the best headphones I've ever heard, and are exactly my kind of sound!   They are definitely an "end game" headphone, and I could be happy with these as my only can!  Of course I'm a HF'er, so there will probably be others in my future(PS1K), but these are keepers.

Now I need an amp and DAC for these, and I'm looking to spend around $1,500.  I'm having a hard time with the decision, I want to make sure to get something that really works well with the 900s.  My short list is the Burson Conductor SL9018, the Fostex HP-A8, or used Burson HA-160D paired with a used Solo.  The used Burson equipment does allow me to upgrade the DAC down the road, since DAC technology advances so fast.  I would love to hear others' opinions or recommendations.  I just ordered the the TH-600 for my wife, so both cans are low ohm/high sensitive, so that makes a difference.  Here's a couple of pics with the new Hi-Fi M8, they sure are pretty!!

Welcome to the club! Nice pics.

Based on my own personal experiences, I'd not be going after a DAC too quickly. I just can't hear enough of a difference to justify one - I sold my Cambridge Audio DACMagic a while back. If you can get to a Head-Fi meet it could be good to check out various amps and DACS to see what you like best...

If you do want to go that route, apparently the Fostex HP-A8C is a good partner with the TH-900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back