Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 27, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #4,861 of 18,761
Quote:

Hard question, but I would characterize the Fostex as more complex than the Sennheisers. I think that the HD-800's are very smooth and the TH900's are more rich. That probably is nonsensical as I don't really know how to describe sound. But I guess that there is just more going on with the TH900's. The stereo separation, to my ears, is equal or maybe a bit more precise in placement in the sound field of the HD900's. They are both great but I am sure that if I had to make a choice between the two, I would pick the TH900's. I never thought I would say that, as the HD-800's are such fantastic headphones. It might be different with other amps/DACs/sources. Just my subjective opinion.

Thanks. Appreciate your impressions.

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #4,862 of 18,761
Quote:
I can offer my view; to me the HD800 has the best midrange, in terms of natural timbre, presence and soundstage. I have never heard better headphones for jazz. The TH900's midrange OTOH is it's weakpoint, but it certainly has deeper & punchier bass. HD800 wins in terms of bass 'quality' though. I would concede that the TH900 is perhaps a better all rounder. I view the HD800 as a precision instrument. Mercedez vs Mustang?

Thanks for that. I was asking to see how they rated against another of the great flagship headphones.

To be honest, I've come to the same conclusion as regards TH-900 vs Grado PS1000. I can flip the TH-900 on and it sounds good for every genre ... there is nothing bad about it ... it's a really safe bet. However, as soon as I put on the Grado PS1000, there is additional detail in the mids, better tonality, better bass quality. I really miss those aspects in the TH-900. I tried EQing them, and I can bring the mids up a bit, but I can't EQ in what the Grados have. However, the Grado gives me enough on the downside (I'm thinking of the occasional piercing highs) that means I just have to try to find a more suitable everyday headphone.

I think the conclusion I have come to, having given them a week to impress, is that the TH-900 isn't offering me quite enough to justify keeping them. If I had never heard the Grado, I suspect it would be a different story.

To pick up on your analogy, and give one of my own ... I think of the musical notes the Grado produces as being like a super fine ornate razor blade ... each one is almost like an individual artwork, the notes are incredibly detailed, they are exquisite in their form, and like a fine artwork, the more you appreciate it, the more you observe to be appreciated ... but like a razor blade, occasionally you get nicked, and that causes pain. By the same analogy I would see the TH-900's musical notes as a modern safety razor ... very safe to use, but perhaps offering a slightly less close shave, meaning you're left with a bit of stubble that only a finer blade can get to the bottom of. The safety razor is great when you're in a hurry, or for everyday use, but you sometimes (for me oftentimes) need a closer shave. The TH-900 bass kick comes in like the barber smacking you round the face at the end of your shave after applying quite a heavy musky aftershave ... definitely an experience you remember!

I'll stop waffling now...
tongue.gif
 The TH-900 are boxed up and will be shipped back Monday. Bah ... time to reopen my search for headphone nirvana...

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #4,863 of 18,761
Quote:

Thanks for that. I was asking to see how they rated against another of the great flagship headphones.

To be honest, I've come to the same conclusion as regards TH-900 vs Grado PS1000. I can flip the TH-900 on and it sounds good for every genre ... there is nothing bad about it ... it's a really safe bet. However, as soon as I put on the Grado PS1000, there is additional detail in the mids, better tonality, better bass quality. I really miss those aspects in the TH-900. I tried EQing them, and I can bring the mids up a bit, but I can't EQ in what the Grados have. However, the Grado gives me enough on the downside (I'm thinking of the occasional piercing highs) that means I just have to try to find a more suitable everyday headphone.

I think the conclusion I have come to, having given them a week to impress, is that the TH-900 isn't offering me quite enough to justify keeping them. If I had never heard the Grado, I suspect it would be a different story.

To pick up on your analogy, and give one of my own ... I think of the musical notes the Grado produces as being like a super fine ornate razor blade ... each one is almost like an individual artwork, the notes are incredibly detailed, they are exquisite in their form, and like a fine artwork, the more you appreciate it, the more you observe to be appreciated ... but like a razor blade, occasionally you get nicked, and that causes pain. By the same analogy I would see the TH-900's musical notes as a modern safety razor ... very safe to use, but perhaps offering a slightly less close shave, meaning you're left with a bit of stubble that only a finer blade can get to the bottom of. The safety razor is great when you're in a hurry, or for everyday use, but you sometimes (for me oftentimes) need a closer shave. The TH-900 bass kick comes in like the barber smacking you round the face at the end of your shave after applying quite a heavy musky aftershave ... definitely an experience you remember!

tongue.gif
 The TH-900 are boxed up and will be shipped back Monday. Bah ... time to reopen my search for headphone nirvana...

The HifiMan HE-6 might be your calling...

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #4,864 of 18,761
Quote:
The HifiMan HE-6 might be your calling...

Thanks. I'm investigating the HE-6 as a possible option. I have concerns I'd need a new amp, and I suspect 'beefy' ones capable of driving the HE-6 ain't gonna be cheap.

I have the Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear, so I asked the manufacturer if they believe I could use it or not. If he says yes, or that I could even use it as a stop-gap, then I think I'll try a HE-6. I'll read up on the HE-5 in case that's an option, too.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

Just reading up about the HiFiMan HE Adapter. It may allow me to make use of my Rega Brio HiFi amp to drive the HE-6. Hmmm...

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #4,865 of 18,761
Quote:
Ain't the PWD warm also?
The HEX might more neutral, like the M7.

Been looking at the Calyx Femto and Bricasti M1 very expensive and would probably take till the end of the year to save for
eek.gif
...... but maybe worth the sacrifice

Has anyone had anytime with ether of theses dac's?

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4,866 of 18,761
Quote:
Been looking at the Calyx Femto and Bricasti M1 very expensive and would probably take till the end of the year to save for
eek.gif
...... but maybe worth the sacrifice

Has anyone had anytime with ether of theses dac's?

I can tell you this much..  The GS-X mk2 / Master 7 combo is as true as you can get.  Not warm, not cold, just true.  This combo just lets the headphones do the talking - if you know what I mean..  I like this combo better than the GS-X mk2 / PWD2 combo.  More true to the sound.  

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #4,867 of 18,761
Quote:

I can tell you this much..  The GS-X mk2 / Master 7 combo is as true as you can get.  Not warm, not cold, just true.  This combo just lets the headphones do the talking - if you know what I mean..  I like this combo better than the GS-X mk2 / PWD2 combo.  More true to the sound.  

I don't question the M7>GSX its a great combo Darryl, I know its good with all I have read including your comparison review between M7 vs PWD, which I've read probably 20 times now :)  What I am questioning is if I would prefer a warmer signature

Anyhow the girlfriend was not impressed when I told her about the Calyx being 8k... its a bit to much this early in my audiophile hobby, so more than likely I will end up with the M7 or something around that price mark, which I know I will be more than happy with.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4,868 of 18,761
Quote:
I don't question the M7>GSX its a great combo Darryl, I know its good with all I have read including your comparison review between M7 vs PWD, which I've read probably 20 times now :)  What I am questioning is if I would prefer a warmer signature

Anyhow the girlfriend was not impressed when I told her about the Calyx being 8k... its a bit to much this early in my audiophile hobby, so more than likely I will end up with the M7 or something around that price mark, which I know I will be more than happy with.

eek.gif

I gotcha...  Maybe the DP-1 or HEX...

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #4,869 of 18,761
Quote:

Thanks. I'm investigating the HE-6 as a possible option. I have concerns I'd need a new amp, and I suspect 'beefy' ones capable of driving the HE-6 ain't gonna be cheap.

I have the Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear, so I asked the manufacturer if they believe I could use it or not. If he says yes, or that I could even use it as a stop-gap, then I think I'll try a HE-6. I'll read up on the HE-5 in case that's an option, too.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

Just reading up about the HiFiMan HE Adapter. It may allow me to make use of my Rega Brio HiFi amp to drive the HE-6. Hmmm...

Yeah give the adapter a try. Also, I don't think you'll like the HE-500 as its lacking in overall resolution, which you appreciate in your Grados.

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #4,871 of 18,761

tongue.gif

Have you heard the T1?

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #4,872 of 18,761
Quote:
Ain't the PWD warm also?
The HEX might more neutral, like the M7.

Actually, the PWD isn't warm. It leans towards neutral but can vary slightly due to differences in firmware versions. It also sounds a bit drier than some DACs like the Yulong DA8 that I had a chance to test drive in my system.

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #4,873 of 18,761
Quote:
Have you heard the T1?

Nope. Thanks for suggesting it. I'm gonna re-read the great Head-Fi flagship thread here to go through all the options again. The HD-800, HE-6, and T1 are the main options that present (the Audeze LCD-3 isn't something I see easily available in the UK, so it's not on my shortlist). However, I have reservations over each of those (HD-800 seems to be amp-unforgiving, so I may end up back where I am with the Grado sibilance, the HE-6 is power-hungry, though using a hifi amp may potentially mitigate that, but even so, the frequency response curve seems similar to the Grado in the high section, so not sure of the potential gain, and a downside of the great T1 is that it can be a tad bland).

To be honest, I'd love to take the easy option and buy my way out of having to make a decision by just cutting loose and getting 'the greatest', the Stax SR-009, and being done with it, but I need to win the lotto to make that happen! LOL

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #4,874 of 18,761
Nope. Thanks for suggesting it. I'm gonna re-read the great Head-Fi flagship thread here to go through all the options again. The HD-800, HE-6, and T1 are the main options that present (the Audeze LCD-3 isn't something I see easily available in the UK, so it's not on my shortlist). However, I have reservations over each of those (HD-800 seems to be amp-unforgiving, so I may end up back where I am with the Grado sibilance, the HE-6 is power-hungry, though using a hifi amp may potentially mitigate that, but even so, the frequency response curve seems similar to the Grado in the high section, so not sure of the potential gain, and a downside of the great T1 is that it can be a tad bland).

To be honest, I'd love to take the easy option and buy my way out of having to make a decision by just cutting loose and getting 'the greatest', the Stax SR-009, and being done with it, but I need to win the lotto to make that happen! LOL

I don't own the TH-900 just yet but...

The problem I see is you are mistaking detail with presentation (regarding your TH-900 vs PS1K comparison). People can flame me all they want but I started this hobby on Grado's, heard practically every Grado known to Brooklyn. I know what they are good at, I know what they are not. Grado and detail just don't go hand and hand IMO.

Joe's house sound has a very intimate headstage. The TH-900 was taking that away from you so you freaked out! :D Btw, the Stax will to some extent do the same, same goes for the HD800 (I owned the 800 for a year before selling it because of three very serious flaws which I will not go into on this thread, you named one of them).

I will bet as time marches on you will realize that the Grado's are FAR from neutral and that you will eventually get tired of the color. The Grado lush becomes fatiguing after a while.

The music you listen to also has a quite an impact on your initial impressions too, because certain headphones can excel at different FR ranges. Grado's are mid monsters and really suck at treble (sibilant) and bass (quantity over quality). I bet if you listened to the TH-900 through some warm tubage it would be more interesting of the comparison (you may still not like them still, this isn't a case that the TH-900 is for you, its to make you more aware of the problems you are going to face vs ANY can).

Grado's are like a drug habit. They are highly addictive, but ultimately they are not good for you. After years of rehab you look back and go, "what was I thinking?"

Flame away! :)

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #4,875 of 18,761
Quote:
I don't own the TH-900 just yet but...

The problem I see is you are mistaking detail with presentation (regarding your TH-900 vs PS1K comparison). People can flame me all they want but I started this hobby on Grado's, heard practically every Grado known to Brooklyn. I know what they are good at, I know what they are not. Grado and detail just don't go hand and hand IMO.

Joe's house sound has a very intimate headstage. The TH-900 was taking that away from you so you freaked out!
biggrin.gif
Btw, the Stax will to some extent do the same, same goes for the HD800 (I owned the 800 for a year before selling it because of three very serious flaws which I will not go into on this thread, you named one of them).

I will bet as time marches on you will realize that the Grado's are FAR from neutral and that you will eventually get tired of the color. The Grado lush becomes fatiguing after a while.

The music you listen to also has a quite an impact on your initial impressions too, because certain headphones can excel at different FR ranges. Grado's are mid monsters and really suck at treble (sibilant) and bass (quantity over quality). I bet if you listened to the TH-900 through some warm tubage it would be more interesting of the comparison (you may still not like them still, this isn't a case that the TH-900 is for you, its to make you more aware of the problems you are going to face vs ANY can).

Grado's are like a drug habit. They are highly addictive, but ultimately they are not good for you. After years of rehab you look back and go, "what was I thinking?"

Flame away! :)

No flaming from me ... I get what you're saying. I'm always willing to open my mind, so I'll enter detox
tongue.gif
 (i.e. try to go Grado free) for a couple of days (my deadline for sending the TH-900 back is Tuesday). I'll really give the TH-900s the absolute best chance to win my heart over. I'll re-read the reviews for each headphone to see what others say re the TH-900 detail. With me, that's really one key aspect, the second being that I want to enjoy my music ... I don't want something too analytical. The TH-900 is definitely 'fun' so that leaves the detail piece for me to get my head around.

If others have a view on the level of detail offered by the TH-900's, care to share? Also, any other flagship comparisons from others?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back