Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #4,246 of 18,765
received my TH900 today.

frustrating day, as i woke with the stirrings of a head cold.
my ears keep popping, my head hurts, and my eyes feel like they're going to pop out of my head.

so, my first listening impressions of the TH900 are a bit of a mixed bag.
i'm hoping this is all down to my condition, and not the headphone.

the presentation seems dry, lighter in the bass than i was expecting, and forward in the treble.

and so burn-in begins, as does medicated recovery...

May 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #4,247 of 18,765
Quote:
received my TH900 today.

my ears keep popping, my head hurts, and my eyes feel like they're going to pop out of my head.

the presentation seems dry, lighter in the bass than i was expecting, and forward in the treble.

Sounds very uncharacteristic of the TH-900, so I would assume it is due to your head cold. Otherwise, I guess sum it up to subjective hearing. 
darthsmile.gif

May 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #4,248 of 18,765
Get well first. Then sip some scotch, sit down and get some impressions on these before coming to a conclusion. Head colds with head congestion are the WORST when it comes to evaluating anything. Everything sounds like crap, unfortunately.

May 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #4,249 of 18,765
Quote:
received my TH900 today.

Get well soon.

I recently got my pair too, and experience the same as you. Maybe my pair is not sufficiently played in as well (even though I bought them used). Please keep us updated on how you perceive them as you get better and as they get burned in.

The overall sound signature is much brighter than Denon AH-D7000. My D7k's are the latest revision, so things might have changed over the course of time. I certainly don't perceive them as hot upstairs.

May 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #4,250 of 18,765
Yup, that looks almost like it. I also love the fact that you have a savings jar for the TH900. You might want to do some crowdsource funding to get to your goal faster. :wink:

Last time I checked, the minimum ammount for a kickstarter campaign is $5000. Might work for someone who's trying to afford the SR-009 though :darthsmile:

May 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #4,251 of 18,765
Quote:
Last time I checked, the minimum ammount for a kickstarter campaign is $5000. Might work for someone who's trying to afford the SR-009 though
darthsmile.gif

Try this: http://raise5.com/ :) Do a twist on raising the funds for a service and donate a bunch of it back to charity.

May 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #4,252 of 18,765

TH-900 Just in. Amazing price from pricejapan.com. Seems a nicer stand than many of the reviews indicate (wood vs. metal).

Running off the headphone out on the TEAC UD-501 and so far so good. They seem more refined than my departed LA-7000 (in a good way). On to an extended listening session!

May 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #4,253 of 18,765
Quote:

TH-900 Just in. Amazing price from pricejapan.com. Seems a nicer stand than many of the reviews indicate (wood vs. metal).

Running off the headphone out on the TEAC UD-501 and so far so good. They seem more refined than my departed LA-7000 (in a good way). On to an extended listening session!

yeah, the yen is going crazy right now, so it's a great time to buy the TH900. Too bad I have nowhere near enough money :frowning2:

May 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4,254 of 18,765
Quote:

Try this: http://raise5.com/ :) Do a twist on raising the funds for a service and donate a bunch of it back to charity.

The "I Need The TH900" charity? 
wink_face.gif

May 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #4,257 of 18,765
well, my head cold turned out to be bronchitis and sinusitis.
went to the doc in the box, got two shots and a prescription.
on the mend now, and the TH900 has been playing music continually.

I listen in now and then, and I must say its a very fine sounding headphone.

honestly, a bit brighter than what I am used to.
i'd say about as bright at the HE-6, over all.

my "reference" for neutrality is probably more in the LCD-3 camp, though.

I think I can get used the treble, because it does seem to be a very resolving sound, and free from grain or artifacts...

it is reminiscent of the D7000, to these ears.
but, better in pretty much every way.

May 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #4,258 of 18,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

honestly, a bit brighter than what I am used to.
i'd say about as bright at the HE-6, over all.

my "reference" for neutrality is probably more in the LCD-3 camp, though.

I think I can get used the treble, because it does seem to be a very resolving sound, and free from grain or artifacts...

it is reminiscent of the D7000, to these ears.
but, better in pretty much every way.

Fully agree that they are brighter than I'm used too, and I'm also in the LCD-3 camp.

In direct comparison the D7000's strikes as darker sounding, much less detailed and the lower bass of TH900 is more prominent, whereas the midbass on D7000 are much more pronounced. Soundstage and holography is better on TH900, but on those characteristics they're not up to par with Beyerdynamic T1.

The D7000's I've got is the latest revision and the only amp that has made them a tad bright was Grace Design m903, but only when playing them very loud. With Woo Audio WA2, WA6-SE, ASUS E1 and AURALiC TAURUS they're not bright at all (using AURALIC ARK MX+ as DAC).

To be honest, I don't think D7000 and TH900 have any commonalities besides their form factor.

May 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #4,260 of 18,765
Example of where TH900 becomes extremely sibilant: Spotify, Eric Clapton Let it Grow @ 0:30 where they sing "Let it bloSSSZZZZZZZZZom ..."

Do you guys experience this or what? Currently using Woo Audio WA6-SE with Mullard GZ37 rectifier and a pair of big bottle 6EW7's. I have plenty more tubes.

Edit: Another song which becomes unbearable is "Desire - If I can't hold you", I often use that to check for sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back