Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #4,231 of 18,776
Quote:
Sorry for being completely off topic frm the previous posts. Anybody has good experience with amp Dac combo that are good with the th-900 (separated or integrated) below 500 usd.

Sound sig looking for is anything but bright.

So far, the brands I have seen popping out are not available here locally. Any recommendations?

If your budget is below 500 USD, seriously consider this. You'll be doing your TH900 a fair treat with this one.
http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Yulong-D100-MKII-ASRC-D-A-Converter.html

May 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4,234 of 18,776
Quote:

I'd also look into the Burson HA-160D, it might be tad over $500 but not much and it is a really good unit also.

Although it's a decent piece of gear, I found the HA-160 and Soloist sibilant and too airy sounding with the TH900. The headphone amp section of the HA-160D is equivalent to the HA-160 so I doubt it'll be much different. The Burson amps play nicely with the warm rich sound of LCD-2/3, but not as well with the V-shaped sound signature of TH900.

May 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #4,235 of 18,776
Quote:

Hmm... what are you running your TH-900's with? 

Edit: My comment was irrelevant, everyone hears different. Although I'm still curious about the treble. I found the treble to much smoother, and crisp. No signs of the hot treble that I experienced with the D7000. Are you D7000's modded or stock?

That was a fatal flaw for the D7000s for me...the overly "active" treble. Something that is much improved on by the TH-900s.

May 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #4,236 of 18,776
Quote:

Although it's a decent piece of gear, I found the HA-160 and Soloist sibilant and too airy sounding with the TH900. The headphone amp section of the HA-160D is equivalent to the HA-160 so I doubt it'll be much different. The Burson amps play nicely with the warm rich sound of LCD-2/3, but not as well with the V-shaped sound signature of TH900.

I agree the treble can become somewhat fatiguing with the HA-160, I still find it a decent pairing when you consider the price. The one thing I loved about the Burson was that is played fairly well with everything I threw at it, sort of a good all-arounder, but I can agree when you break it down and compare it to more top flight amps/dacs you will quickly hear the flaws. 

May 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #4,238 of 18,776
Quote:

And the booming mid-bass on every track... just gets a bit overexaggerated at times. Especially if you are trying to listen to music where the bass is not the emphasized to begin with.

That too...and a bit flabby while we're at it.

May 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #4,239 of 18,776
Quote:
So supposedly in your opinion, this is better than the one you mentioned in your earlier posts. Was it audinst mx or smth like that.

I wouldn't recommend the Audinst HUD-MX1 though. It was a bit bright, grainy (there must be a treble spike somewhere, if it is possible for that to be present in a DAC/amp unit) and not very dynamic sounding to my ears.

I much definitely prefer my DACport (with 1 ohm output impedance option) over it, though it is out of your budget and I do not know how it compares to the other offerings mentioned here.

edit: was the budget $300? Can't recall if I actually read that somewhere...

May 7, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #4,240 of 18,776
I wouldn't recommend the Audinst HUD-MX1 though. It was a bit bright, grainy (there must be a treble spike somewhere, if it is possible for that to be present in a DAC/amp unit) and not very dynamic sounding to my ears.

I much definitely prefer my DACport (with 1 ohm output impedance option) over it, though it is out of your budget and I do not know how it compares to the other offerings mentioned here.

edit: was the budget $300? Can't recall if I actually read that somewhere...

The DacPort sounds interesting because the Yulong D100 doesn't seem to be available here, but will definitely check it out too.

[Edit: How about the Audioquest Dragonfly and Matrix M-Stage]

May 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4,241 of 18,776
Sorry to jump into the discussion here, but would you guys recommend the woo audio wa7 as an amp for these headphones? if i have a budget of 1000$ and i need a USB dac & headphones amp, what would be the best option?

May 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #4,242 of 18,776
Quote:
Sorry to jump into the discussion here, but would you guys recommend the woo audio wa7 as an amp for these headphones? if i have a budget of 1000$ and i need a USB dac & headphones amp, what would be the best option?

Yes, AnakChan has expressed some comments about the pairing and his general consensus was that it was an excellent pairing. 

May 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #4,243 of 18,776
Awesome, good to know :)

May 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #4,244 of 18,776
Is it weird that I saw this motorcycle today and immediately thought of the TH900? Is it the color? It's gotta be the color
biggrin.gif

Hmm. just noticed Garfield sitting on the handlebars. Is that safe? 

May 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4,245 of 18,776
Quote:
Is it weird that I saw this motorcycle today and immediately thought of the TH900? Is it the color? It's gotta be the color
biggrin.gif

Hmm. just noticed Garfield sitting on the handlebars. Is that safe? 

Yup, that looks almost like it. I also love the fact that you have a savings jar for the TH900. You might want to do some crowdsource funding to get to your goal faster. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back