Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4,038 of 18,765
I would have liked to own the TH900's and have been tempted to buy them in the past.
but just reading the reports of fragile headband, screw issues and 1 year warranty have kept me from pulling the trigger on ordering.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4,040 of 18,765
Quote:
I would have liked to own the TH900's and have been tempted to buy them in the past.
but just reading the reports of fragile headband, screw issues and 1 year warranty have kept me from pulling the trigger on ordering.

I think that screw thing affected a limited number of initial run headphones. I got mine brand new from Headroom in January and have had absolutely zero issues. These are simply the best closed headphones I've heard yet!

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #4,041 of 18,765
I think that screw thing affected a limited number of initial run headphones. I got mine brand new from Headroom in January and have had absolutely zero issues. These are simply the best closed headphones I've heard yet!

I can concur with this. I haven't heard of any issues with the screws or hinges for awhile. I believe Fostex has resolved that issue. Also regarding the headband, it is not fragile per se, but in comparison and regarding portable headphones it might be somewhat "fragile". But I wouldn't call the headband any more fragile then say the Beyerdynamic T1.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #4,042 of 18,765
I would like to ask if anybody can compare the LCD-2 and the th-900. I saw a few very brief comparisons just stating the th-900 is better, and that's pretty obvious!

I like everything abt the LCD-2 but the physical weight and the slight lack of bass bloom makes electronic slightly boring. Plus, a LCD-2 plus a lyr and bitfrost is the same price as a th-900.

I'm think of running the th-900 using a budget tube amp (bravo ocean) and dacless out of a iPhone 4S.

So LCD 2 + lyr + bitfrost
Or
TH-900 plus bravo ocean?

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #4,043 of 18,765
Quote:
I'm think of running the th-900 using a budget tube amp (bravo ocean) and dacless out of a iPhone 4S.

Or
TH-900 plus bravo ocean?

You might as well stick with the LCD2 option. You'll enjoy it much more than the TH900 with a budget amp out of an iPhone 4S. I drive it with a mid-fi (at best) amp currently and do notice the lack of resolution and detail from the TH900s. It sounds decent enough but with much better amplification, it'll take it to a different level (have auditioned on another occasion with a much better amp to be completely convinced). But you need to commit to giving it better than the Bravo amp.

That LCD-2 + Lyr + Bifrost is a pretty damn solid combo already. It's almost like a sure thing actually.

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #4,044 of 18,765
You might as well stick with the LCD2 option. You'll enjoy it much more than the TH900 with a budget amp out of an iPhone 4S. I drive it with a mid-fi (at best) amp currently and do notice the lack of resolution and detail from the TH900s. It sounds decent enough but with much better amplification, it'll take it to a different level (have auditioned on another occasion with a much better amp to be completely convinced). But you need to commit to giving it better than the Bravo amp.

That LCD-2 + Lyr + Bifrost is a pretty damn solid combo already. It's almost like a sure thing actually.

That is true. May I know what are you using to drive your th-900?

Edit: How about the Denon D7ks?

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #4,045 of 18,765
D7k is well marshaled by the Lyr in the bass region.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #4,046 of 18,765
Quote:
D7k is well marshaled by the Lyr in the bass region.

Meaning, the bass is lower than usual? I am sort of a basshead and the lcd-2 is slightly short of bass bloom for me.
But then again, because I don't get to try the D7ks, I am worried about its highs being too harsh for me. 

1 Question, does treble harshness mean high treble quantity, I assume they are related but not directly dependent
on one another.

[Edited]

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #4,047 of 18,765
Quote:

x2 on all counts except I just got mine (00729) from Headroom a week and a half ago. They have completely replaced my D7000 for regular listening, and outshine a friend's Ed. 8 to my ears.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #4,049 of 18,765
Quote:
I would like to ask if anybody can compare the LCD-2 and the th-900. I saw a few very brief comparisons just stating the th-900 is better, and that's pretty obvious!

I like everything abt the LCD-2 but the physical weight and the slight lack of bass bloom makes electronic slightly boring. Plus, a LCD-2 plus a lyr and bitfrost is the same price as a th-900.

Or
TH-900 plus bravo ocean?

I have the LCD 2.2 and TH900. Cautione lector: I am not a sound engineer, nor am I conversant in the minutia of of high-end audio as are many here, so please take the following FWIW keeping that in mind.

I think the two are very different headphones in a couple of key respects. First, they are tuned-- if that's the correct word-- quite differently. The LCD 2.2 are often described as dark, and they have a prominent midrange to my ears; bass is certainly not lacking in these as far as I'm concerned, and on the other end of the spectrum I've heard the treble described as a bit "rolled off" and that seems about right to me. On the other hand, the TH900 bass seems more detailed and definitely extends deeper than the LCD 2.2 to my ears. Perhaps the graphs & etc. would say otherwise, but that's what I'm hearing. The TH900 seem less "boomy" to me in the bass and midrange, but the LCD 2.2 midrange is just... better to me for lack of another descriptor. The TH900 treble has much more sparkle to me which for me can be a good and a bad thing depending upon the recording and music type. I think the two headphones are complementary as far as tone goes.

Second, the TH900 are low impedance and thus require little in the way of amplification to function-- they sound quite good right out of my various Macs, iPhone and iPods with nothing more than a mini adaptor. This is not to say that they don'y benefit immensely from decent amplification; improvements across the spectrum are apparent to my ears out of a CLAS > RSA SR-71B, and even more improvement via PS Audio DL III or Anedio D1 > V200. I am currently waiting on a RWA Bellina HPA that I am eager to plug the TH900 into. I know RWA doesn't get a lot of love here, but I liked the sound of my RWA Corvina (balanced) a lot driving various HPs, and well, they're my ears. On the other hand, the LCD 2.2 absolutely demand decent amplification, and this is apparent event to my amateur ears. I've heard the LCD 2.2 out of the Schiit products (as well as the V181 and the Apex Peak/volcano) and they were good, but not as good as the RWA Corvina (again, my ears). The RSA SR-71B out of the balanced output does OK with the LCD 2.2.

Bottom line: if I were looking to lower my budget ceiling with just one of the two, I'd go TH900 because it can be easily driven, and you can take your time marshaling resources to buy quality amplification.

(edit for auto-spelling mishaps... aack!)

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4,050 of 18,765
Quote:

Meaning, the bass is lower than usual? I am sort of a basshead and the lcd-2 is slightly short of bass bloom for me.
But then again, because I don't get to try the D7ks, I am worried about its highs being too harsh for me. 

1 Question, does treble harshness mean high treble quantity, I assume they are related but not directly dependent
on one another.

[Edited]

I didn't like the pairing with the D7K and Lyr. The Lyr just has way too much power for the D7K and TH-900 tbh. You will get hiss, especially if you listen to music at moderate to high volumes. Regarding the treble, harshness means that the treble is shrill or sharp to the ears, it can become overwhelming to some. It is that feeling that the highs are piercing, hurtful to the ears and most of the time fatiguing to the average listener. A headphone can have harsh highs, and not be a treble head headphone, but usually they go hand and hand. Many describe the V shaped signature headphones as having hot treble. The D7K is definitely one of those headphones, and thus have sharp/hot treble for some users. Now, depending on your music preferences, you may not have a problem with it at all, but if you listen to poorly recorded music or a lot of treble energetic music than you might find the treble to be too much.

Also, I'd have to agree that the LCD-2 and TH-900 are basically nothing a like. Tonality is totally different, and in your case the bass is not much the same either. Both have good punch and go deep, but the LCD-2 have more mid bass, while the TH-900 have a more balanced bass with no emphasis on either. Speaking for my general experience, I'm reaching for the TH-900 9/10 times. I have since sold my LCD-2 and have kept my LCD-3. The LCD-3 is much better headphone IMO, but when I want to listen and feel the bass, the TH-900 deliver that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back