Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4,051 of 18,776
Thx all for your replies to my question. It is much appreciated! So to sum up:

The th900 is brighter
The th900 has more subbass rumble less midbass bloom
The th900 has less midrange bloom

If this is the case, the th900 may not be for me. Because I'm looking for LCD-2 plus slightly more midbass emphasis for electronic music. Any recommendations? (Sorry for being off topic) I actually considered the D7ks but I was really worried about the treble being too hot. Because I find the d5ks slightly fatiguing.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #4,052 of 18,776
Quote:

The th900 is brighter

If this is the case, the th900 may not be for me. Because I'm looking for LCD-2 plus slightly more midbass emphasis for electronic music. Any recommendations? (Sorry for being off topic) I actually considered the D7ks but I was really worried about the treble being too hot. Because I find the d5ks slightly fatiguing.

Tbh, it seems like your criteria for a headphone is an incredibly hard one to find. If you want more midbass, than I would suggest EQ'ing a pair of LCD-2's because the only options I can think of that have a lot of mid bass are the D7K, Ed. 8, ATH3000ANV, and Ultrasone Signature DJ. I would check into those headphones as I believe they meet that midbass bloom preference. All of those phones are highly regarded for the most part and each have their crowd. I would particularly look into the treble because usually if you want midbass bloom, you will looking into V shaped headphones that have recessed mids and a treble spike. Again, the cheapest solution might be to EQ or maybe to find an amp that has a bass boost option (ie portable amps).

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #4,053 of 18,776
Quote:

Tbh, it seems like your criteria for a headphone is an incredibly hard one to find. If you want more midbass, than I would suggest EQ'ing a pair of LCD-2's because the only options I can think of that have a lot of mid bass are the D7K, Ed. 8, ATH3000ANV, and Ultrasone Signature DJ. I would check into those headphones as I believe they meet that midbass bloom preference. All of those phones are highly regarded for the most part and each have their crowd. I would particularly look into the treble because usually if you want midbass bloom, you will looking into V shaped headphones that have recessed mids and a treble spike. Again, the cheapest solution might be to EQ or maybe to find an amp that has a bass boost option (ie portable amps).

Haha! Indeed I'm a troublesome fella. The Ed.8 was to digitalish for me. The W3k bass is ....... (Enuf said). The Sig. Dj, well the auditioning conditions were downright poor but it just didn't give me the whole smoke this **** is amazing when compared to the lcd-2 but, I was driving it with an iphone and the lcd-2 with a darkstar so.... (pretty unfair). The D7k is somewhat known for harsh treble and I'm really sensitive to that..

Haha... Guess my only answer is the lcd-2... Oh well, thx all for your input!

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #4,054 of 18,776
Quote:

Haha! Indeed I'm a troublesome fella. The Ed.8 was to digitalish for me. The W3k bass is ....... (Enuf said). The Sig. Dj, well the auditioning conditions were downright poor but it just didn't give me the whole smoke this **** is amazing when compared to the lcd-2 but, I was driving it with an iphone and the lcd-2 with a darkstar so.... (pretty unfair). The D7k is somewhat known for harsh treble and I'm really sensitive to that..

Haha... Guess my only answer is the lcd-2... Oh well, thx all for your input!

It is a hard headphone to improve upon if you like the general tonality of the headphone. Maybe the LCD-3?

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4,055 of 18,776
Quote:

The th900 is brighter

HE500 is the only planar I know that has a mid-bass belly and a nice bass bloom.

It is also quite a dark-sounding planar (the only darker planars being LCD2/3) with difference being in the treble, where it has a bit more sparkle and smoothness than LCD2. That most likely coincides with your preference.

Look into that perhaps.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #4,056 of 18,776
TH900s sound great with EDM. 'nuff said. I didn't like the LCD-2s with EDM because it sounded like it was overly midrange-centric to the point that my head almost exploded after extended listening to midbass-heavy tracks. 

There is a measure of balance with the TH900s that you won't get with LCD-2 or LCD-3. This is one of its strengths. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #4,057 of 18,776
Quote:
TH900s sound great with EDM. 'nuff said. I didn't like the LCD-2s with EDM because it sounded like it was overly midrange-centric to the point that my head almost exploded after extended listening to midbass-heavy tracks. 

There is a measure of balance with the TH900s that you won't get with LCD-2 or LCD-3. This is one of its strengths. 

I agree for EDM or any kind of electronica, you can't get much better than the TH-900. The resolution and the dynamics are unmatched IMO. Also, I love how deep the TH-900 go, having emphasized mid-bass just bloats the bass making it sound to boomy. Of course YMMV, but if I where to choose between the TH-900 or LCD-2/3 for electronica... it would be the TH-900 no doubt. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #4,058 of 18,776
Quote:
I agree for EDM or any kind of electronica, you can't get much better than the TH-900. The resolution and the dynamics are unmatched IMO. Also, I love how deep the TH-900 go, having emphasized mid-bass just bloats the bass making it sound to boomy. Of course YMMV, but if I where to choose between the TH-900 or LCD-2/3 for electronica... it would be the TH-900 no doubt. 

I think you would know the best, Greed, since you have the LCD-3s and are selling it for a specific reason, right? 
size]

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #4,059 of 18,776
Quote:

I think you would know the best, Greed, since you have the LCD-3s and are selling it for a specific reason, right? 
size]

Ha, touche. But no, I still love me some LCD-3 magic when I pop on some vinyl. Typically, I listen to my LCD-3 headphones when I want to jam out to any type of rock. But for the more fast and dynamic genres like ambient, electronica, synth, etc... TH-900 all the way. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #4,060 of 18,776
Quote:

size]

I happen to own the LCD-3s and think they are the better headphone. But I can't comment on EDM as I don't listen to it, just rock, metal, jazz and classical and with those genres; however I do prefer the LCD-3s. That said, the TH-900s aren't too far back and are the best closed headphones I've heard and find them very satisfying.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4,061 of 18,776
Quote:

This. Can't agree more, TH900 + EDM = *eargasm*

Apr 27, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #4,062 of 18,776
Wow! Just realised I really sparked a conversation going on here. But I heard from others saying that the
TH-900 don't have the midbass bloom that the LCD-2 so you mean that it is the other way around. I really
like electronic and all edm listeners know that bass is like almost the core of edm. So no bass means no fun 
right guys?

So LCD-2 vs TH-900, which has Midbass Slam and Quantity? 

The LCD-3 for some reason is slightly too lush for my tastes. Tracks like Through the fires and flames which
is pretty busy, sounds slightly suffocated or nasal. But will try them again. I would be able to try the TH-900 
in the near future and I'm excited but who knows when...

Is it possible the LCD-3 is too lush for me? The lcd-2 sounds like the perfect balance between lushness and 
articulation. So not too dry or too lush. The HD650 sounds more like the lcd-3 being very lush. But, its a quarter 
price so well... can't complain too much. 

But I said earlier if you guys didn't see it, getting the th-900 REALLY cuts my budget for amp and i might even
have to go dacless... Thinking of possibly the mag+mod by schiit but will see how it goes. Currently, I'm thinking
of driving the TH-900 with a bravo ocean with is really quite a shame...

EDIT: So, greed, why are you selling our lcd-3s?
EDIT 2: Oh, just checked your post, you are gonna have two pairs, okay.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #4,063 of 18,776
This is TH900 related I promise...

I have demoed Beyer T90's open, then ordered TH600's expecting isolation from a closed headphone...

(I was considering demoing the TH900's as well)

But given the lack of Isolation...  listening in a busy environment s-bucks or hotel lobby "other noises" jack around with sound so whats the point with closed phones?  They dampen/isolate...a little...

but why not go with super high end IEM's $1,100ish for busy/noisy environments and then a really high end open headphone for the other uses?

I guess after demoing the closed TH600's I have to ask the TH900 group who cares if its closed back?  why not go with open cans?  especially if your going to listen at home anyway....

or is closed cans really not for the listener... they are more for the person NEXT THE the listener?

Thanks everyone!

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #4,064 of 18,776
To be honest I don't fully understand your question. 
If you're asking why I bought the th900 and not other open cans, the reason is I found its sound and overall performance to be superior to other cans that I had chance to compare it with being open or closed. 
If your're asking why fostex doesn't make a open headphone instead of closed then it's the designer you need to ask. But I can say closed and open design has their own advantages and disadvantages. Most top tiers are open but it doesn't mean you can not have excellence closed cans. 
Please remember r-10 and sr-4070 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back