Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #2,657 of 18,761
Not much difference to me after at least a couple hundred hours, incl. an initial "burn-in" to weed out any defects (ex.: driver failure on some HE400 or LCD2/3s etc.)

Amplification has a much more noticeable impact. I'm a big tube fan but couldn't find a satisfactory combination on any of my tube amps.

Was ready to give up on it esp. compared to my other 'phones but then I had a few long computer sessions and I figured I'd just get at least some more mileage out of it and hooked it up straight to the headphone out of my Audiolabs M-DAC and interestingly, with my favourite filter settings it actually sounded pretty good. That's right, gasp shock horror, a DAC-integrated solid-state amplifier, albeit a very good one.

It tamed the brightness/sibilance just enough while keeping the bass tight enough that the qualities I always heard in the TH900 finally weren't overwhelmed by the strong coloration on either end of the frequency range. My (solid-state) Peachtree amp is also doing OK with them, though the W3000ANV still sounds better to me (those mids & voices!). But  somehow the M-DAC sounds just right with the TH900; for bass-heavy fare like electronica it's the most fun for sure but even other genres now sound pretty good, so it might stick around for a while longer.

Which mdac firmware and which filtertype are you using.
Im am now using a v181 but also have a mdac.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #2,659 of 18,761
Quote:
What the hell happened to the cans, zobin? Did you keep them on a stand most of the time?

i keep mine on a stand most the time.. is that a bad idea?? those pictures made my jaw drop, real sorry..

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #2,661 of 18,761
Ouch. But to me it looks like the parts themselves are OK. Looking at the hinges on mine, it seems you should be able to screw it back together with the right Phillips head screwdriver, maybe adding a drop of threadlock to prevent it from coming loose again...

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #2,662 of 18,761
Quote:
Which mdac firmware and which filtertype are you using.
Im am now using a v181 but also have a mdac.

Firmware is the latest one, A08. I know there have been endless discussions on the PFM forum about perceived differences but I never had much of an issue, the filters and headphone having a more noticeable impact. I am using the "Phase Select" set to reverse (which actually switches to a previous version's decoding) and the oversampling "Optimal Spectrum" which is actually smoother (but sounds a bit less "bright" to me than the non-oversampling "Optimal Transient" ones) and thus turns out to be good match for the TH900. To my ears anyway.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #2,664 of 18,761
Thank you guys for being with me in this sad moment :frowning2: I never use the fostex stand or any stand to be honest since I have a habit of storing all my headphones in their own box after listening so it sit in its box most of the time. I didn't expect this to happen since the only one I knew that had this problem was Anakchan who brought his cans outside for meeting and travelling while the only time mine stayed outside was the time I brought it back to my house. After listen to some tracks in the morning I took it out to put it back to its box and the cup felt down on the way .So it's snapped under a normal usage by itself.
The joint looks like an easy fix by screwing the screw back but I won't do that by myself  because the screw driver might damage the beautiful cup and the issue can happen again (this time I am lucky that it felt to a soft surface I don't know about next time). IMO it's a terrible flawed design using such a short and small screw to hold the cup. I sent email to my local shop and fostex aus already so I hope they could find a solution for my case. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #2,666 of 18,761
Quote:
Thank you guys for being with me in this sad moment :frowning2: I never use the fostex stand or any stand to be honest since I have a habit of storing all my headphones in their own box after listening so it sit in its box most of the time. I didn't expect this to happen since the only one I knew that had this problem was Anakchan who brought his cans outside for meeting and travelling while the only time mine stayed outside was the time I brought it back to my house. After listen to some tracks in the morning I took it out to put it back to its box and the cup felt down on the way .So it's snapped under a normal usage by itself.
The joint looks like an easy fix by screwing the screw back but I won't do that by myself  because the screw driver might damage the beautiful cup and the issue can happen again (this time I am lucky that it felt to a soft surface I don't know about next time). IMO it's a terrible flawed design using such a short and small screw to hold the cup. I sent email to my local shop and fostex aus already so I hope they could find a solution for my case. 

Fostex should be able to fix it. I was lucky that I live here in Tokyo so the turnaround time for mine was 1-2 days. In my case my screw completely severed. I can't tell from yours if it just unscrewed itself or if it actually broke off. With mine at least, it looked like the screw was casted as such not that strong.

I'd definitely recommend the following for care :-

1) put both left and right cups on symmetrically everytime
2) if someone talks to you whilst listening, take both cups off, don't do it the DJ style of putting one cup behind or in front of the ear whilst the other is still on. Don't stretch and pull one cup off the ear even if it's on the same axis
3) basically just don't put too much stress the headband, joints, or swivel

This is quite a delicate headphone. in some aspects it feels more delicate than my SR-009 even.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #2,667 of 18,761
Quote:

Fostex should be able to fix it. I was lucky that I live here in Tokyo so the turnaround time for mine was 1-2 days. In my case my screw completely severed. I can't tell from yours if it just unscrewed itself or if it actually broke off. With mine at least, it looked like the screw was casted as such not that strong.

I'd definitely recommend the following for care :-

1) put both left and right cups on symmetrically everytime
2) if someone talks to you whilst listening, take both cups off, don't do it the DJ style of putting one cup behind or in front of the ear whilst the other is still on. Don't stretch and pull one cup off the ear even if it's on the same axis
3) basically just don't put too much stress the headband, joints, or swivel

This is quite a delicate headphone. in some aspects it feels more delicate than my SR-009 even.

I thought the 009s are decently durable... are they really as sensitive as the TH900s..?

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #2,668 of 18,761
Dec 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #2,669 of 18,761
*cries*

By the way, does anyone have a bit of squeakiness or creaking in their left (or right) cup? I can't seem to figure out what it is. It usually goes away if I reposition the headphones.

Also, could someone check that twisting joint on their left and right cups. Is there a bit of leeway or are mine loose?

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #2,670 of 18,761
Quote:

That's most unfortunate. It's under warranty so return it to the place you bought it and Fostex will repair or replace it. I hope xzobinx's and AnakChan's experiences are isolated incidents. It is cause for concern knowing that the D7000 suffered from a similar problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back