Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #14,372 of 18,765
The Bakoon amp is superb with TH900s, a match made in heaven for sure. Having said that, I've been happy with Chord Mojo recently, as I wanted to dial back the crazyness of toying around with audio equipment. 

Chord mojo is definitely on my radar. But do you think sacrifices are made in sound quality to accommodate portability? My setup will be strictly for home use.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #14,373 of 18,765

The Bakoon amp is superb with TH900s, a match made in heaven for sure. Having said that, I've been happy with Chord Mojo recently, as I wanted to dial back the crazyness of toying around with audio equipment. 

How do your Dulce Bass IEM's compare to the TH900 in relation to bass?  I have Etymotic ER-4P's but the bass just isn't enough in relation the rest of the FR range.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #14,374 of 18,765
@22qed - the mojo will drive the th900. you don't need a desk top rig to power the th900 sufficiently.

as for your question, i doubt that anyone here can answer that authoritatively for you. chord products are highly regarded tho.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #14,375 of 18,765
Chord mojo is definitely on my radar. But do you think sacrifices are made in sound quality to accommodate portability? My setup will be strictly for home use.

I think Mojo sounds better than many full-sized systems, definitely no compromises in sound quality. I bought mine to replace my home rig, and it has. Mojo is a little miracle.

How do your Dulce Bass IEM's compare to the TH900 in relation to bass?  I have Etymotic ER-4P's but the bass just isn't enough in relation the rest of the FR range.

They are on par. Dulce Bass hits slightly harder, but Fostex has more deep down rumble. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #14,376 of 18,765

Check out this thread on M1 and Mojo.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/816385/shanling-m1-an-ipod-nano-competitor-dap-usb-dac-usb-transport-bluetooth-4-0-aptx-dsd#post_12770518

Many people on this thread are buying the Shanling M1 DAP aftermarket USBC to MicroB cable and plugging directly into the Mojo.  M1 will work as transport directly to the Mojo.  Mojo can power your TH-900 (as stated by Up Late).

Most people on that thread are providing feedback on the M1/Mojo combo, and fewer are using it stand alone.

I am more of a portable/transportable user.  Got into desktop after getting a few killer portable setups.  I would rather take my music to work, son's hockey practice/games, walking around the mall, loud restaurants, laying in bed, the list goes on...

Portable can be just as enjoyable, and sometimes more enjoyable than desktop setups.  And can be more pocket friendly to start.  And everything I own can drive the TH-900 VERY WELL!  2 RSA Amps, Neco V3, Headstage Arrow.  (Heh heh.  Pocket friendly.  I meant to the wallet, but I carry my portable rig in my front pocket everywhere I go.)

I may get a Mojo.  Check out this thread first.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/829906/chord-electronics-ces-launch-extravaganza#post_13111740
7 days until Chord has 3 major announcements at CES.  Maybe we can find some Mojos on sale soon.  Who knows...

Edit:  Pocket Friendly comment added.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #14,377 of 18,765
@22qed - the mojo will drive the th900. you don't need a desk top rig to power the th900 sufficiently.

as for your question, i doubt that anyone here can answer that authoritatively for you. chord products are highly regarded tho.

That's good to know, thanks.  I just find the wide range of hardware sizes curious with performance apparently being equal (more or less) between large and small units of similar price.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #14,378 of 18,765
  Check out this thread on M1 and Mojo.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/816385/shanling-m1-an-ipod-nano-competitor-dap-usb-dac-usb-transport-bluetooth-4-0-aptx-dsd#post_12770518

Many people on this thread are buying the Shanling M1 DAP aftermarket USBC to MicroB cable and plugging directly into the Mojo.  M1 will work as transport directly to the Mojo.  Mojo can power your TH-900 (as stated by Up Late).

Most people on that thread are providing feedback on the M1/Mojo combo, and fewer are using it stand alone.

I am more of a portable/transportable user.  Got into desktop after getting a few killer portable setups.  I would rather take my music to work, son's hockey practice/games, walking around the mall, loud restaurants, laying in bed, the list goes on...

Portable can be just as enjoyable, and sometimes more enjoyable than desktop setups.  And can be more pocket friendly to start.  And everything I own can drive the TH-900 VERY WELL!  2 RSA Amps, Neco V3, Headstage Arrow.  (Heh heh.  Pocket friendly.  I meant to the wallet, but I carry my portable rig in my front pocket everywhere I go.)

I may get a Mojo.  Check out this thread first.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/829906/chord-electronics-ces-launch-extravaganza#post_13111740
7 days until Chord has 3 major announcements at CES.  Maybe we can find some Mojos on sale soon.  Who knows...

Edit:  Pocket Friendly comment added.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been neglecting a dap for a while now, just using my phone and computer with spotify.  An affordable DAP with a good EQ would definitely be worthwhile though.

Noticed the mention of Headstage Arrow above, that's a pretty good "basshead" amp right?

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #14,380 of 18,765
Thanks for the heads up, I've been neglecting a dap for a while now, just using my phone and computer with spotify.  An affordable DAP with a good EQ would definitely be worthwhile hough.

Noticed the mention of Headstage Arrow above, that's a pretty good "basshead" amp right?

Yes.  The Headstage Arrow version that I have is the 2.2 (two point two) generation.  It has higher bass gain that some of the later revisions.  It sounded good without being too bloated.  Currently, it does not get any head time, so if this is something you are interested in, I could be persuaded to part with it.  (I don't have a price in mind.  Would have to research that.)

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #14,381 of 18,765
Hello all, I've been looking for a pair of headphones around $1000 to complement/contrast my HD800's and have narrowed it down to the TH900 MKII ($1099) and the Elear ($999). I've read a decent amount of this thread and it seems people really like the TH900's for anything with good bass or edm, which is great, but I also saw a lot of mentions of a recessed mid range. How do the TH900's fare with female vocals and non bass heavy or electronic music? Also, if anyone has had a chance to compare the Elear and TH900 are there any glaring pro's/con's to either? Any responses appreciated, thanks.

*edit... well I read the entire Focal Elear thread and decided to pick up the TH900's for now as I could not pass on the MKII's at $1099 new, looking forward to receiving them and hoping they suit my taste sonically as I think the headphones on their own are beautiful.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #14,382 of 18,765
Hello fellow TH-900 fans.  I got an email today from Musician's Friend.  They are having an end of year clearance.  I saw the TH-900 halfway through the 32 page list.  They are being sold for $1299.  I added them to my cart and then found that you can use their accessories discount code (until 12/31).  EXTRA15.  It took them to $1104.99.  Picture appears to be MK1 (fixed cables.)  I did not proceed any farther than that with the purchase/cart.  Hope it is OK to post this.  If not, let me know and I'll delete it.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #14,383 of 18,765
Going to start experimenting with EQ with the LA900.

I have been one to always avoid EQ but honestly it is the best way to solve the issue of a headphone being overall good but having a single glaring issue.

Over the last week I have been fiddling with EQing my Utopia's and HD800 and the results have been very positive.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #14,385 of 18,765
  Hello all, I've been looking for a pair of headphones around $1000 to complement/contrast my HD800's and have narrowed it down to the TH900 MKII ($1099) and the Elear ($999). I've read a decent amount of this thread and it seems people really like the TH900's for anything with good bass or edm, which is great, but I also saw a lot of mentions of a recessed mid range. How do the TH900's fare with female vocals and non bass heavy or electronic music? Also, if anyone has had a chance to compare the Elear and TH900 are there any glaring pro's/con's to either? Any responses appreciated, thanks.

*edit... well I read the entire Focal Elear thread and decided to pick up the TH900's for now as I could not pass on the MKII's at $1099 new, looking forward to receiving them and hoping they suit my taste sonically as I think the headphones on their own are beautiful.

IMO and for my musical tastes, the TH900 is a bit superior in most areas to the Elear, except for tonal balance. If you're going for a more neutral presentation, then Elear is a better choice, but for musicality, detail, imaging/ staging (especially since the Fostex is closed!), dynamics, treble impact, and bass slam, the TH900 just edges out the Focal.

I think that the TH900 is the perfect complement to the HD800. Each has supreme qualities that are arguably best in their class. I think that the Elear does everything really well but isn't truly exceptional at anything in particular. The MDR-Z1R is a lot more intriguing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back