Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 24, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #14,341 of 18,776
Yeah, I really like the Z1R's bass performance. I find it to be very well suited for electronic music, which most of my listening centers on. Speaking in very general terms (and deliberately oversimplifying), I'd say that the TH-900 is better suited for HipHop, while the SE-Master1 and Z1R are my go-to cans for most electronic music genres. I don't know if the Z1R will spoil the TH-900 for you, but I'm quite confident that the majority of people would find its treble and midrange more agreeable. Bass preference will probably vary depending on taste and choice of music.

Oh yeah, and merry Christmas everyone.

that was a reference to a mot's post over in the mdr-z1r thread

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #14,342 of 18,776
yep. the th900 doesn't bump up the mid-bass. the mdr-z1r does tho while having that "subbass oomph", according to thatonenoob's fr chart. should be interesting to compare them. i hope that i won't find the th900 "unlistenable" afterwards.
wink.gif

Almost no can at this level is unlistenable.  There are exceptions, but I think you get my point m8.  
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #14,345 of 18,776
I cannot recall ever seeing a frequency plot of the la900 versus the th900. It would be a great Chrrstmas gift if somone were to do that. In fact an overlay of the th900, la900 snd thx00 plots and waterfall comparisons would be the ultimate and very instructive.

It will be very interesting to see what direction Fostex chooses to go with their next flagship: reference or fun especially considering the recent release of the V8.

Looking at the graphs for the Sony, I wonder how much weight the engineers give to graphs versus listening tests relative to their target signature? Presumably their testing would have shown the same anomoly and certainly Sonly engineers have the tools and talent to have dealt with it.

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #14,346 of 18,776
I cannot recall ever seeing a frequency plot of the la900 versus the th900. It would be a great Chrrstmas gift if somone were to do that. In fact an overlay of the th900, la900 snd thx00 plots and waterfall comparisons would be the ultimate and very instructive.

It will be very interesting to see what direction Fostex chooses to go with their next flagship: reference or fun especially considering the recent release of the V8.

Looking at the graphs for the Sony, I wonder how much weight the engineers give to graphs versus listening tests relative to their target signature? Presumably their testing would have shown the same anomoly and certainly Sonly engineers have the tools and talent to have dealt with it.

Yes this would be a very nice present.

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #14,348 of 18,776

I'm not for certain about the 3K and perhaps as more measurements come out I may find that my rig interacted poorly with the headphone in that FR area.  However, I just wanted to say that Sony engineers definitely place a good amount of emphasis on it sounding right to them.  I think it's well-reflected in the signature and it certainly isn't a bad one at that.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #14,349 of 18,776
Ok, I've now decided that I want to purchase the Sony ZH1ES and also want my TH900 to be balanced via balanced XLR connector.

Can anyone tell me where to get such a connector? I can only find XLR connectors with attached cables, or does one have to remove the cable to get the xlr connector? I understand I don't need to replace the stock cable itself because it already supports balanced audio.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #14,350 of 18,776
  Ok, I've now decided that I want to purchase the Sony ZH1ES and also want my TH900 to be balanced via balanced XLR connector.

Can anyone tell me where to get such a connector? I can only find XLR connectors with attached cables, or does one have to remove the cable to get the xlr connector? I understand I don't need to replace the stock cable itself because it already supports balanced audio.

Just as a general question, I would imagine that balancing the TH900 would be putting a lot of power through the cans...giving you very little play with the vol pot on most amps, even in low gain? 

EDIT: Considering the relatively low impedance/ decent sensitivity of this headphone.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #14,351 of 18,776
Will a good dac make much difference with the th900 or is it mostly about the amp? I'm planning on an ifi idsd for my dac...but would it be more worthwhile to save and for something else?

I haven't had a mind blowing experience with dacs yet. Headphones and amps--for sure though. Right now it's hard for me to tell the difference between my $30 and $150 dac with my thx00. (Fiio D03k vs schiit modi 2 uber)...selling the schiit to help fund the th900. What's the most cost effective way to maximize performance out of the th900?

Will a good dac make much difference with the th900 or is it mostly about the amp? I'm planning on an ifi idsd for my dac...but would it be more worthwhile to save for something else (best amp)?

Also...maybe some bias here, but can anyone see any objective reason at all why, if, I were to sell my thx00 and blindly buy the th900 that I'd regret it? Im not a crazy picky audiophile.... yet perhaps...but that dude Tyll's comparison of the Fostex and denon cans is scaring me haha.

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #14,352 of 18,776
this is probably going to come off as pat, but you stand the best chance of having your questions answered to your satisfaction by auditioning and comparing these ancillary options, and relying on what your ears tell you.

if you're looking for an objective reason to choose the th900 over the thx00 then you're pretty much left with price and measurements. you will still have to make a subjective call on which one most suits your personal preferences and circumstances.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #14,353 of 18,776
I don't do regret and honestly have no reason.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #14,354 of 18,776

The th900 does not benefit from a balanced connection. I was told this would likely be the case before I got mine balanced but wanted to try for myself anyway. Having tried it I can report I could hear no difference with multiple amps.

The real case for getting a balanced cable with this headphone is to enable it to be used with those amps that have been optimized for balanced. Even then the th900 is so easy to drive that unless the amp performs quite differently on its balanced outputs it is unlikely you will hear any difference.

If you still need to investigate you will need to choose between a 4 pin balanced connector or dual 3 pin connectors. I went with dual 3 pins and then use adaptors to allow use with amps that only offer 1/4" or 1/4" and 4 pin balanced connectors. You can get the connectors (I use Furutech) on line and from my experience there was no audible difference between the very expensive and lower priced connectors from the same manufacturer. Any competent electronic repair person should ge able to do the change for you.

Are you still sure you want to do this? My suggestion is that you give serious consideration to spending the funds elsewhere.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #14,355 of 18,776
this is probably going to come off as pat, but you stand the best chance of having your questions answered to your satisfaction by auditioning and comparing these ancillary options, and relying on what your ears tell you.

if you're looking for an objective reason to choose the th900 over the thx00 then you're pretty much left with price and measurements. you will still have to make a subjective call on which one most suits your personal preferences and circumstances.

Right right, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out an FR graph to see the subbass response. That and soundstage are my two key qualities right now and the th900 is the only headphone I've read about that does these really well. I'm talking subbass impact too, extension is inherent there.

I would actually get them now if my girlfriend would let me! Haha, sad to say, but she is too darn practical. I'd get no enjoyment from them knowing they'd be hidden from her or she'd be mad about it haha...made that mistake once with a dirtbike so I'll have to patiently wait for her to come around!

Appreciate all the help here, can't wait to join the club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back