Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #14,356 of 18,776
Will a good dac make much difference with the th900 or is it mostly about the amp? I'm planning on an ifi idsd for my dac...but would it be more worthwhile to save and for something else?

I haven't had a mind blowing experience with dacs yet. Headphones and amps--for sure though. Right now it's hard for me to tell the difference between my $30 and $150 dac with my thx00. (Fiio D03k vs schiit modi 2 uber)...selling the schiit to help fund the th900. What's the most cost effective way to maximize performance out of the th900?

Will a good dac make much difference with the th900 or is it mostly about the amp? I'm planning on an ifi idsd for my dac...but would it be more worthwhile to save for something else (best amp)?

Also...maybe some bias here, but can anyone see any objective reason at all why, if, I were to sell my thx00 and blindly buy the th900 that I'd regret it? Im not a crazy picky audiophile.... yet perhaps...but that dude Tyll's comparison of the Fostex and denon cans is scaring me haha.

I've found the TH900 scales well with DAC's. Right, you might not hear much diff between $30 and $150 DACs, but not much scaling is expected in that range. Also, I'm afraid with the iFi DAC your ears might bleed from treble... The cheapest DAC I can recommend with the TH900 is the Resonessence Herus (first version at least): IMHO its slightly recessed treble, huge and realistic sound stage, good presence region and deep, impactful bass pair well with the TH900. Then switching to my NOS 1541 DAC, everything gets even more clear and musical, but the price difference is huge. Diminishing returns, as usual. Trust your ears and be happy at the level your wallet allows.

I'd suggest trying the Bifrost/Gungnir Multibit as some of the best values for DACs, or then older multibit DACs based on the TDA-1541, TDA-1543, PCM-56, PCM-58, PCM-63, or some of the better implementations of the PCM-1702/PCM-1704, or some better delta-sigma like the Wolfson8740, or AKM4490/95/97. 

It's hard to find truly good DACs, even though they all are good to some extent. The analog stage, the filter(s), the DAC itself all have their part to play. Make a search on "DAC Chart of Awesomeness" for getting to a chart that pretty much matches my experiences, too -- though you'd need to listen to your shortlist yourself.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #14,357 of 18,776
Right right, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out an FR graph to see the subbass response. That and soundstage are my two key qualities right now and the th900 is the only headphone I've read about that does these really well. I'm talking subbass impact too, extension is inherent there.

I would actually get them now if my girlfriend would let me! Haha, sad to say, but she is too darn practical. I'd get no enjoyment from them knowing they'd be hidden from her or she'd be mad about it haha...made that mistake once with a dirtbike so I'll have to patiently wait for her to come around!

Appreciate all the help here, can't wait to join the club!

the th900 is renowned for its sub-bass and spacious presentation. it sounds surprisingly open for a closed-back can.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #14,358 of 18,776
But she thumps like a closed can can

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #14,359 of 18,776

I've found the TH900 scales well with DAC's. Right, you might not hear much diff between $30 and $150 DACs, but not much scaling is expected in that range. Also, I'm afraid with the iFi DAC your ears might bleed from treble... The cheapest DAC I can recommend with the TH900 is the Resonessence Herus (first version at least): IMHO its slightly recessed treble, huge and realistic sound stage, good presence region and deep, impactful bass pair well with the TH900. Then switching to my NOS 1541 DAC, everything gets even more clear and musical, but the price difference is huge. Diminishing returns, as usual. Trust your ears and be happy at the level your wallet allows.

I'd suggest trying the Bifrost/Gungnir Multibit as some of the best values for DACs, or then older multibit DACs based on the TDA-1541, TDA-1543, PCM-56, PCM-58, PCM-63, or some of the better implementations of the PCM-1702/PCM-1704, or some better delta-sigma like the Wolfson8740, or AKM4490/95/97. 

It's hard to find truly good DACs, even though they all are good to some extent. The analog stage, the filter(s), the DAC itself all have their part to play. Make a search on "DAC Chart of Awesomeness" for getting to a chart that pretty much matches my experiences, too -- though you'd need to listen to your shortlist yourself.

That's great feedback, thank you much!  The DAC Chart of Awesomeness is awesome, I'll take some trust in it with a grain of salt haha, and try to get something that's considered a great value.

edit...reviewed DAC chart...

I think the Schiit Bifrost Multibit would probably be the best DAC for my budget.  What's the best amp for the TH900 for under $1000.  Under $2000?  ...The iFi Pro iCAN is really intriguing for me given that I've been very happy with my Micro iCAN.  Are linear ones best for the TH900 given that it's a "V" shaped headphone?  Or is a "house" (upside-down V) the best given the supposed slightly recessed midrange?  

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #14,360 of 18,776
the th900 is renowned for its sub-bass and spacious presentation. it sounds surprisingly open for a closed-back can.

It also leaks suprisingly much for a closed-back can.
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #14,361 of 18,776
That's great feedback, thank you much!  The DAC Chart of Awesomeness is awesome, I'll take some trust in it with a grain of salt haha, and try to get something that's considered a great value.

edit...reviewed DAC chart...

I think the Schiit Bifrost Multibit would probably be the best DAC for my budget.  What's the best amp for the TH900 for under $1000.  Under $2000?  ...The iFi Pro iCAN is really intriguing for me given that I've been very happy with my Micro iCAN.  Are linear ones best for the TH900 given that it's a "V" shaped headphone?  Or is a "house" (upside-down V) the best given the supposed slightly recessed midrange?  

there is no "best" amp, just what folks prefer and that can vary depending on who you ask. and "marv's dac chart of awesomeness" is no less subjective than anyone else's informed opinion/recommendation.

keep in mind that the differences in sonic performance between various dacs and amps is subtle when compared to cans, and be wary of claims that exaggerate them. this hobby is prone to hyperbole. :wink:

the th900 is an efficient can that is easy to drive. you don't require a dedicated amp to power it. so you could plug it into the headphone jack of your cellphone or computer using an adaptor for now while you explore amp and dac options. chances are that you'll be impressed by what you're hearing (unless the th900's sound signature isn't for you).

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #14,362 of 18,776
there is no "best" amp, just what folks prefer and that can vary depending on who you ask, and includes "marv's dac chart of awesomeness".

the th900 is an efficient can that is easy to drive. you don't require a dedicated amp to power it. so you could plug it into the headphone jack of your cellphone or computer using an adaptor for now while you explore amp and dac options.

Well I don't have the TH900 yet, just a THX00.  But I want to get my ducks in a row for the big day, which should be right around the corner!

What really got me curious about the amps was this review from headfonia where the reviewer was raving about some kind of rare Bakoon japanese amp haha.  As mentioned, I do have an iFi micro iCAN that I think is the duck's nuts (a good thing :wink: ), but if I'm going to drop the coin on a TH900, I want to make sure I'm "getting the most" out of it for a "reasonable" price.  I've spent countless hours looking at all this stuff, and am kinda back to square one--I just keep going around in circles dreaming of the day I will have my perfect setup.  I'm just a bit more confused than usual now that I'm really considering the actuality that there are neutral amps and V shaped ones.  I know for a fact the iCAN lets me make a V using the XBass and 3D switches, and I love these.  The big thang for me now is whether or not I'd subjectively get the best sound by taking something that's already a V and making it more V shaped, or whether or not the best sound for me would come from, for example, a ^ shape to "balance" the sound out a bit more.  Or neutral to...you get the idea.

Any way, I did just discover the Lending Library, so I'm sure I'll go there after I actually get the TH900s.  

Cheers! 

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #14,363 of 18,776
i know that you don't have the th900 yet. the options can be overwhelming, which is why i'm suggesting that you could start with the headphone and explore ancillary options afterwards. keep it simple, try to audition gear before you buy - especially cans, and have fun with it.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #14,364 of 18,776

Well I don't have the TH900 yet, just a THX00.  But I want to get my ducks in a row for the big day, which should be right around the corner!

What really got me curious about the amps was this review from headfonia where the reviewer was raving about some kind of rare Bakoon japanese amp haha.  As mentioned, I do have an iFi micro iCAN that I think is the duck's nuts (a good thing :wink: ), but if I'm going to drop the coin on a TH900, I want to make sure I'm "getting the most" out of it for a "reasonable" price.  I've spent countless hours looking at all this stuff, and am kinda back to square one--I just keep going around in circles dreaming of the day I will have my perfect setup.  I'm just a bit more confused than usual now that I'm really considering the actuality that there are neutral amps and V shaped ones.  I know for a fact the iCAN lets me make a V using the XBass and 3D switches, and I love these.  The big thang for me now is whether or not I'd subjectively get the best sound by taking something that's already a V and making it more V shaped, or whether or not the best sound for me would come from, for example, a ^ shape to "balance" the sound out a bit more.  Or neutral to...you get the idea.

Any way, I did just discover the Lending Library, so I'm sure I'll go there after I actually get the TH900s.  

Cheers! 

Bakoon is current mode iirc.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  My experience with current mode has been mixed.  With the TH900, impact and speed are improved, but it almost made the TH900 too aggressive.  In my DSM DAC experience, I was hard pressed at times to hear a difference sonically. Many of the perceived differences often came from changes in amplification.  However, I did feel that there was a significant improvement [imo] moving from DSM --> multibit.  Detail retrieval has been spot on and as a result imaging has taken quite a step forward. My experience is limited with R2R, but I do feel that the Bimby is a very reasonable offering at its pricepoint.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #14,365 of 18,776
Us chord users do not speak of r2r. :p

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #14,367 of 18,776
  Bakoon is current mode iirc.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  My experience with current mode has been mixed.  With the TH900, impact and speed are improved, but it almost made the TH900 too aggressive.  In my DSM DAC experience, I was hard pressed at times to hear a difference sonically. Many of the perceived differences often came from changes in amplification.  However, I did feel that there was a significant improvement [imo] moving from DSM --> multibit.  Detail retrieval has been spot on and as a result imaging has taken quite a step forward. My experience is limited with R2R, but I do feel that the Bimby is a very reasonable offering at its pricepoint.

Good to know, thanks for the input here.  Glad to hear there is a noticeable improvement with multibit, the Bimby seems like a really nice option at that pricepoint.  I've more or less settled on:

Bimby-->Micro iCAN-->TH900

Any feedback from anyone on this potential setup would be much appreciated, but I don't think I can do much better for a total of <$2000.  Eventually I'll probably upgrade to the Pro iCAN or another amp depending on the development of my sonic tastes, but right now, the iCAN products are the only ones I'm aware of that offer ASP tuning switches for bass and treble, which are kind of invaluable to me given my wide range of musical interests.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #14,369 of 18,776

Cheers! 

The Bakoon amp is superb with TH900s, a match made in heaven for sure. Having said that, I've been happy with Chord Mojo recently, as I wanted to dial back the crazyness of toying around with audio equipment. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #14,370 of 18,776

Users who are viewing this thread

Back