Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 30, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #13,486 of 18,765
I can get a new pair of T1 gen 2s for about 657 Euros.. The TH900s cost about 1260 Euros... Are they so much better than the T1s?

I don't think the T1s gen 2s is a Fiat.. 

What do you think?

This is opening up another can of worms. TH900 is very different from the T1. It is its own category of sound sig. The price is in part due to the wood cups and craftsmanship. T1 gets a lot of hate but it is no means a Fiat. Just because it isn't priced as a modern flagship doesn't mean it isnt kne.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #13,487 of 18,765
This is opening up another can of worms. TH900 is very different from the T1. It is its own category of sound sig. The price is in part due to the wood cups and craftsmanship. T1 gets a lot of hate but it is no means a Fiat. Just because it isn't priced as a modern flagship doesn't mean it isnt kne.

I'm not taking the price into account and don't base my decision on what I like or not on price.
I bought my HD650s new for €250 and regard them as highly as my €2500 Pioneer SEM1.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #13,488 of 18,765
I'm not taking the price into account and don't base my decision on what I like or not on price.
I bought my HD650s new for €250 and regard them as highly as my €2500 Pioneer SEM1.

Ah I had interpreted the ferrari statment as such. But I still think performance wise a T1 is far from being fiat. Guess it depends on your own preference. Need to hear the sem1 tho.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #13,489 of 18,765
It isn't true for everyone or on all specimen.
Your mod is certainly not the only cure.
Cables to improve it is just silly. A better cable will giive you more detail than you already have. If you have sibilance you will get more of it with a decent cable. If you don't the cable isn't good.
Lawton mods are meant to be used as a complete set, I've tried since D7000 and using only one of the three parts gives worse reults than stock. You need the bigger cups (wood choice doesn't matter), dampening and thicker angled pads. The cable is optional but very good (Jena) and ehances detail.

Yeah, I said the possibilities are endless, and I meant the "only way" = to do it Easily, and it doesn't cost anything to simply rotating the foam discs

I also am aware of my taste, which may be out of this planet. Therefore, i stopped posting DIY guide which net in my finalized 900 as an end game for myself. In the future if people think my mods were that bad, i could just delete the thread then

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #13,490 of 18,765
On a related note I am sometimes finding my th900 to be occasionally harsh...and I do use the T1. Did anyone find any changes with burn/brain in.

yep. the sharpness of the highs became less problematic for me over time. having said that, they still aren't as smooth and refined as other totl cans that i've heard.

I can get a new pair of T1 gen 2s for about 657 Euros.. The TH900s cost about 1260 Euros... Are they so much better than the T1s?

I don't think the T1s gen 2s is a Fiat.. 

What do you think?

i'm afraid this won't be the answer that you're hoping to receive. only you can decide whether it's worth paying the additional euros for the th900 or not because it's your money and personal preference. the best way to make an informed choice between the two is to compare them yourself. there really is no adequate substitute for that process - sorry.

fwiw, i haven't heard the t1 gen 2 but i have spent time with the t1. i prefer the th900, but that doesn't mean that you will. again, this is a matter of personal preference. and if you hang around this forum, you'll soon find how varied that can be. :wink:

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #13,491 of 18,765
Ah I had interpreted the ferrari statment as such. But I still think performance wise a T1 is far from being fiat. Guess it depends on your own preference. Need to hear the sem1 tho.

Ah, no, I wasn't referring to the price of these cars, it was just beacause he said I can't afford that one so should I buy the other. I was strying to steer him in the direction of buying what sounded best to him no matter the MSRP and then try to find it at a cheaper price or try to find a cheaper variant of it, price possibllities enough with the Fostex 900/600 and various xxx models.

FYI I don't have a Ferrari, don't like it and find it too expensive. I don't have a Rolls, find it too expensive and half like it (meaning I like the look but wouldn't want to be seen with one). What I do like? 70s Charger, 2016 Challenger Hellcat and the ultimate: a sedan with the engine of a race car, the M5. Don't have any of the three but I have another nice one I really enjoy and has more power than I need which is why I am without a drivers license for a week now. My wife has a holiday now so I got my own private "chauffeur" and I really enjoy it. I even sit in the back ofd the car now like a real CEO in his limo. Should lose my license more often. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I said the possibilities are endless, and I meant the "only way" = to do it Easily, and it doesn't cost anything to simply rotating the foam discs

I also am aware of my taste, which may be out of this planet. Therefore, i stopped posting DIY guide which net in my finalized 900 as an end game for myself. In the future if people think my mods were that bad, i could just delete the thread then

Apologies, I thought it concerned another mod, the one that was described at length in this thread and then moved to it's own thread. The one where one had to buy some kind of hard foam and cut it to the millimeter or half millimeter precise or something like that from what I still know from memory. That one seemed hard to do (cutting to a mm precise ...) and if the sound changes that much with a mm of foam then I consider it big BS. Each his own opinion of course.
Your mod should be no problem like you describe it here and why not try it? Nothing to lose anyway.
If you like your mod then why not advise it? Some might not like it but it might be helpful for others who do. 
I also have my own peciuliar taste, never heard anything worse than a Stax (except for the Nighthawk which I wanted to throw through the window) but my opinion most certainly isn't gonna be everyone's taste, rather the opposite.

A: yep. the sharpness of the highs became less problematic for me over time. having said that, they still aren't as smooth and refined as other totl cans that i've heard.
B: i'm afraid this won't be the answer that you're hoping to receive. only you can decide whether it's worth paying the additional euros for the th900 or not because it's your money and personal preference. the best way to make an informed choice between the two is to compare them yourself. there really is no adequate substitute for that process - sorry.

C: fwiw, i haven't heard the t1 gen 2 but i have spent time with the t1. i prefer the th900, but that doesn't mean that you will. again, this is a matter of personal preference, and if you hang around this forum you'll soon find how varied this can be.
wink.gif

A: The Lawtons are. 
biggrin.gif

B: Best advice you can get, we give it here often. Sadly, depending on where you live it might be hard to audition cans and even harder to audition two brands side by side. Lats year I took a three day holiday to go to a specialized dealer and audition all the big name brands for a whole day.
Play it dirty, order both from Amazon where you have a 30 days no questions asked money back guarantee. They don't mind.
C: Yep, we can only give our opinions and those are influenced by our personal preferences. Thus they will be in no way objective, not even if we tried to be. So asking here will give you not only a lot of different answers but even a bunch of totally contradictory ones. In the end, you'll end up more confused than before you asked.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #13,492 of 18,765
There's a good reason why the T1 has fallen so heavily in price to half the original RRP while other flagships have remained relatively stable over the years; they are simply not natural sounding and have mediocre technical ability, not to mention horrible build variation for their price point. I don't see how anyone can enjoy these unless they have high frequency hearing loss centering around 10k and couldn't care less about instrument timbre.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #13,493 of 18,765
  There's a good reason why the T1 has fallen so heavily in price to half the original RRP while other flagships have remained relatively stable over the years; they are simply not natural sounding and have mediocre technical ability, not to mention horrible build variation for their price point. I don't see how anyone can enjoy these unless they have high frequency hearing loss centering around 10k and couldn't less about instrument timbre.

Hi! So do you think I have to get the Fostex TH-610 instead of the T1 gen 2s?

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #13,494 of 18,765

There's a good reason why the T1 has fallen so heavily in price to half the original RRP while other flagships have remained relatively stable over the years; they are simply not natural sounding and have mediocre technical ability, not to mention horrible build variation for their price point. I don't see how anyone can enjoy these unless they have high frequency hearing loss centering around 10k and couldn't less about instrument timbre.

Hi! So do you think I have to get the Fostex TH-610 instead of the T1 gen 2s?

Get th900 then mod the crap out of it. :wink_face:

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #13,495 of 18,765

Unfortunately the high unit variance, relatively high number of silent revisions, and some general manufacturing issues in the early part of both the 1.1 and 1.2's life cycles have given the T1 a less than splendid reputation. However, I would say that if you did have a chance to give a high serial 1.1 a try, your opinion of it may change. Especially that part about high frequencies.

@roiosdona not going to lie but if you ask the Th900 thread whether the th900/610 is better than the t1...I think you're seeking a confirmation that many would be uncomfortable giving. Neither is markedly worse than the other, and frankly the sound signatures are so different its not exactly worth comparing. I think you've got a general sense of how both sound -now is for you to determine which works better for your tastes. Cheers m8.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #13,496 of 18,765
Going Lawton level two with Cocobolo cups. Can't wait for them to come in. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #13,497 of 18,765
hi,I bought a fostex th 900 mk2. Now I would like to buy an aftermarket cable and balance it.perhaps an moon audio or an Italian cable, Portento Audio. I just can not find the headphone connector side. I believed that those of Sennheiser HD600 / 650 were perfect, and instead are a bit more short and tend to slip from the headset. you know the specific headphone connector side for fostex th900 mk2? thanks to those who can give me real answers.

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #13,499 of 18,765
Try Fit-ear ? According to a mod here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/13320#post_12697110

I can't understand why fostex decided to make the detachable cable connector so huge on mk2.  It makes anything other than a Fostex cable look incredibly out of place (that isn't to say the Fostex cable isn't already out of place).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back