Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 6, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #13,141 of 18,761
Jun 6, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #13,144 of 18,761

It looks weird but it works
smily_headphones1.gif
. FitEar 000 cable into the TH900Mk2.

So the conclusion is Mk2 sounds exactly the same as Mk1, right?

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #13,146 of 18,761
  So the conclusion is Mk2 sounds exactly the same as Mk1, right?

I didn't bring my Mk1s to compare nor would it be a good environment in a shop to draw conclusive thoughts (although maybe ok to give an initial idea).

Is the Mk2 using senn HD600 connectors which I thought was proprietary, or am I not seeing right?

Those connectors are HD600-styled connectors however I think the wiring is the FitEar styled (where on one channel it's wired the other way around).

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #13,147 of 18,761
  Those connectors are HD600-styled connectors however I think the wiring is the FitEar styled (where on one channel it's wired the other way around).

That's a shame I was getting all excited thinking of the possibilities ether headphone owner being able to swap out cables between both....... it's a pipe dream as usual
cool.gif

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #13,148 of 18,761
  The mk2 comes with 1/4 or balanced?

Both...you choose which one you want but I believe, by default, you get "Plug: Gold-plated 1/4” stereo phone".

ET-H3.0N7BL
Plug: Gold-plated 4-pole XLR
Connector: Rhodium-plated 2-pin
Length: 3m
Weight: 130g

ET-H3.0N7UB
Plug: Gold-plated 1/4” stereo phone
Connector: Rhodium-plated 2-pin
Length: 3m
Weight: 120g - See more at: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH900mk2.shtml#content-3-tab-tab

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #13,149 of 18,761
I'm currently using a dac magic plus + bottlehead crack/speedball. I heard the bottlehead crack and speedball don't go well with low impedance headphones. Am i better using the th900's with the crack or will the onboard amp on the dac magic plus do justice for the 900's?

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #13,150 of 18,761
Both...you choose which one you want but I believe, by default, you get "Plug: Gold-plated 1/4” stereo phone

I'm sorry to say that no you *don't* get a choice, at least not here in Japan. The Mk2's ship with the 1/4" stereo jack plug and if you want the "optional" balanced cable then you have to buy it separately.

In fact, I just bought the balanced cable to use with my Aurorasound HEADA. I found the improvement to be very significant - much better channel separation, wider soundstage and improved resolution. Bit of a no-brainer, really, if you have a balanced amp...

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #13,152 of 18,761
I'm sorry to say that no you *don't* get a choice, at least not here in Japan. The Mk2's ship with the 1/4" stereo jack plug and if you want the "optional" balanced cable then you have to buy it separately.

In fact, I just bought the balanced cable to use with my Aurorasound HEADA. I found the improvement to be very significant - much better channel separation, wider soundstage and improved resolution. Bit of a no-brainer, really, if you have a balanced amp...

Originally Posted by up late /img/forum/go_quote.gif

there's no point connecting a balanced headphone cable to a single ended amp now is there?

You're referring to @vinyljunkie? I don't get it. Heada is a balanced amp.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #13,153 of 18,761

A better phrase would have been "you have the option to purchase the balanced cable".

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #13,155 of 18,761
there's no point connecting a balanced headphone cable to a single ended amp now is there?

Only if you have two amps, one SE and one balanced.  Use the same balanced cable with an adapter to use the SE amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back