Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #12,601 of 18,761
Man percussion tho.....th900 smokes that slam. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #12,602 of 18,761

When I listen to the TH900 straight into the macbook, they get plenty loud and sound really great. What am I missing here?

You're missing an audio chain my friend. A quality digital to analogue converter that doesn't have to fit into a laptop enclosure + a quality amplifier (quality does not equal power).

Many high end amps have a lot of power so that they can drive any headphone on the market. Power and fidelity have absolutely nothing to do with each other in that respect.  Also there's not a whole lot of point in getting one of those amps if you don't have a quality source giving you the details that you need to have amplified.  If what you have sounds great and works for you than that's wonderful. Have a nice time enjoying the music. It's likely you would notice a difference with a small little dac/amp on your desktop rather than laptop output if you care at all it might not I have no idea about what's inside your machine. Some laptops have some pretty decent parts in there that don't get credit for what they do.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #12,603 of 18,761
I *had* an ODAC and used it with my o2 amp (and other amps), but found it to make things worse compared to my laptop output. With both my ultrasones and my TH900, the highs became sharper, and everything sounded less analog and smooth. It made for a very dry, unejoyable sound that was too harsh, especially in the treble.

Now, I think this was the fault of the ODAC, since I otherwise use the o2 amp to power my audio with my gaming system (PS3) and it doesn't bother me, and the sound is great. Therefore, maybe I just really like the DAC chip inside the macbook. When I add an amp into that chain (after the macbook output) it doesn't seem to do/sound much at all differently than without it, leading me to not bother with it.

So, maybe like you say, the key is finding an improved dac, but the DAC in the macbook to me sounds really pleasant, and I do NOT want to move from something musically pleasing to something sterile like the ODAC. It was like it sucked the music out of the music, and made it dry, and harsh. It has really positive reviews as a DAC - so idk why it was so unagreeable for me.

They really do sound great out of the macbook - I wonder if there is anyone on here who feels the same way or uses their TH900's like this. If you put on any of the cover songs from the "live lounge" on youtube or any "boyce avenue" track, it's phenominal. I'd recommend those two anyways, regardless of the system you have set up. The recording quality of the track seems to make the biggest difference for me, so far. TH900's work wonders for high-quality acoustic type music.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #12,604 of 18,761
I *had* an ODAC and used it with my o2 amp, but found it to make things worse compared to my laptop output. With both my ultrasones and my TH900, the highs became sharper, and everything sounded less analog and smooth. It made for a very dry, unejoyable sound that was too harsh, especially in the treble.

Now, I think this was the fault of the ODAC, since I otherwise use the o2 amp to power my audio with my gaming system (PS3) and it doesn't bother me, and the sound is great. Therefore, maybe I just really like the DAC chip inside the macbook. When I add an amp into that chain (after the macbook output) it doesn't seem to do/sound much at all differently than without it, leading me to not bother with it.

So, maybe like you say, the key is finding an improved dac, but the DAC in the macbook to me sounds really pleasant, and I do NOT want to move from something musically pleasing to something sterile like the ODAC. It was like it sucked the music out of the music, and made it dry, and harsh. It has really positive reviews as a DAC - so idk why it was so unagreeable for me.

They really do sound great out of the macbook - I wonder if there is anyone on here who feels the same way or uses their TH900's like this. If you put on any of the cover songs from the "live lounge" on youtube or any "boyce avenue" track, it's phenominal. I'd recommend those two anyways, regardless of the system you have set up. TH900's work wonders for acoustic type music.

Maybe try a NOS DAC. Ive got the Starting Point Systems DAC 3 which has the Philips TDA1543 DAC and its the smooth and most musical DAC I've heard. It lends a great deal of acoustic heft the instruments so you don't just hear them but you feel or sense the music too.

The th900s sound awesome out of mine.

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #12,605 of 18,761
I *had* an ODAC and used it with my o2 amp (and other amps), but found it to make things worse compared to my laptop output. With both my ultrasones and my TH900, the highs became sharper, and everything sounded less analog and smooth. It made for a very dry, unejoyable sound that was too harsh, especially in the treble.

They really do sound great out of the macbook - I wonder if there is anyone on here who feels the same way or uses their TH900's like this. If you put on any of the cover songs from the "live lounge" on youtube or any "boyce avenue" track, it's phenominal. I'd recommend those two anyways, regardless of the system you have set up. The recording quality of the track seems to make the biggest difference for me, so far. TH900's work wonders for high-quality acoustic type music.

heretic! :wink: i've been listening to the th900 and w3000anv straight from the headphone jack of a macbook pro for the last couple of weeks and i can't complain. they still sound "hi fi" to me.

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #12,606 of 18,761

You're not alone in this, mate. I experienced the exact same thing you describe when I first switched from my ancient Sony Vaio laptop to the Chord Hugo. Isn't it ironic that a dedicated digital-to-analog converter would actually make things less analogue sounding??? And yet, that is exactly my impression. If I've never switched back, it's mostly because I'm afraid of what I would find.
redface.gif

Of course, I would never admit this. Least of all in this forum ...
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #12,607 of 18,761

You're not alone in this, mate. I experienced the exact same thing you describe when I first switched from my ancient Sony Vaio laptop to the Chord Hugo. Isn't it ironic that a dedicated digital-to-analog converter would actually make things less analogue sounding??? And yet, that is exactly my impression. If I've never switched back, it's mostly because I'm afraid of what I would find. :xf_eek:
Of course, I would never admit this. Least of all in this forum ... :D

I stated on this forum that for different reasons I had a tough time picking which I liked better on th900 the a8 or Hugo. Granted TT pushed the needle to it, but that's heck of a lot of dollars to do it. Now I still keep th900 plugged into the a8 mostly and hd800s into the TT.
I don't have a notebook or an adapter to plug my cans into a phone to find out what that is. But I don't mind plugging my 846 into my 6 plus. Sure bass is a bit flabby, notes are not as sharp, but not bad.
I have concluded at this level it's about what your ears find favourable and what a little better is worth. These are all relitive but it starts with the speakers/cans/iem then you build back. If the money and interest is there things get a little better and why not.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #12,608 of 18,761
I have just used the o2 amp, and i have found that i prefer using the amp on my pc and not on my phone.

I prefer my phone overall but the amp adds a bit to the highs. My pc has dullish highs though so they end up being good together.

Cant wait to upgrade to the a8 :D

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #12,609 of 18,761
I have just used the o2 amp, and i have found that i prefer using the amp on my pc and not on my phone.

I prefer my phone overall but the amp adds a bit to the highs. My pc has dullish highs though so they end up being good together.

Cant wait to upgrade to the a8
biggrin.gif

It is sweet (a8) with th900 , never tried to listen from phone or my iMac 

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #12,611 of 18,761
Th900 is 1.5 tesla...here is the competition for 3.0 Tesla rating
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/800503/3-0-tesla-rating-on-vivo-xe1000-flagship-headphones

Without sounding like a snob it looks strictly Mid - Fi.

While the Tesla rating is greater it takes more than that to produce a sweet sounding headphone (as I know you are aware of)

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #12,614 of 18,761
Mar 5, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #12,615 of 18,761
Does anyone here run their TH900s balanced? Mine have been modded to accept HD800 cables. Is it worth the upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back