Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #12,542 of 18,776
Yea... looks like it was fair for the guy to ask if there was an impressions thread for the MK2 already, because he didn't want to accidentally make a second one. 

that's not what he asked. he asked whether there had been a discussion about starting a new impressions thread for the mk2 - just sayin'.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #12,543 of 18,776
Damn, the TH900 are fabulous. Bass phenoms, listening to bass heavy electronica with these tries to pulverize your skull. And the attack speed -- sweet Jesus. At first, the suddenness of TH900 going from black to peak output honestly made me wince until I got used to it. I don't know if it's this amazing attack speed, or a combination of other factors, but they are super at micro-detail revelation, and really, really, lend that sense of realism to strings, classic synthesizers, kick-drums. pianos. etc.

Reports of V-shaped sound is true. I will need to research the right gear pairing to tame the harsh highs that colors things like female vocals, high-pitched pop, etc. But, it may be that forwardness that gives that sweet-sweet instrument tone.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #12,544 of 18,776
Damn, the TH900 are fabulous. Bass phenoms, listening to bass heavy electronica with these tries to pulverize your skull. And the attack speed -- sweet Jesus. At first, the suddenness of TH900 going from black to peak output honestly made me wince until I got used to it. I don't know if it's this amazing attack speed, or a combination of other factors, but they are super at micro-detail revelation, and really, really, lend that sense of realism to strings, classic synthesizers, kick-drums. pianos. etc.

Reports of V-shaped sound is true. I will need to research the right gear pairing to tame the harsh highs that colors things like female vocals, high-pitched pop, etc. But, it may be that forwardness that gives that sweet-sweet instrument tone.

I find pairing them with a NOS DAC really helps flesh them out and tame the highs. Plus the bass is incredibly powerful. It also helps to give a bit more body to the mids.

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #12,545 of 18,776
Can anyone please describe what the Lawton angled pads specifically do to the sound of the TH900?

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #12,546 of 18,776
Ok just a preliminary thoughts to us th900 users concerning it versus ( not that its a competition) hd800S. If you like the fun in music, like that bass slam, like to feel you are live, that fast drive and like efficient cans. Th900 rules, imo. The hd800S has its benefits and compliments th900, balance balance balance. Mid sound stage, very real and neutral or natural whichever suits the metaphor. TH900 is an awesome product im glad i have it. 
Cheers might come back after many hours and give any more thoughts, by the way this is through TT comparison.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #12,547 of 18,776
HD800S is boring, I feel the mids are more distant and less involving than the TH900 on lot of modern music, and certainly less intense and immediate than on the HD800. Listening to live orchestras and female choirs is snore-inducing on the HD800S.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #12,548 of 18,776
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #12,550 of 18,776
I got to admit its an interesting trade off, i wouldnt quite go to a snore but the th900 certainly is a more entertaining can. For me its like 800S its about balance and yes being that way is not nearly as fun as th900. If I had to pick one can to live with its 900 all the way. Percussion and bass riffs are startling in the 900, mids are a bit more striking. Im giving the S more time as the more I listen I appreciate what this more polite balanced can is trying to do. It also needs a lot of power to scale it properly. But th900 rocks.

One salient addition, the 800S by no means was acquired as to go head to head with 900. I am not looking for more bass, sub base or a wider three D sound stage. Th900 I know has that cornered. I was looking for more balance and studio based sound scape, Im still need alot of brain burn in to get my head wrapped around that. ya its growing on me

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #12,551 of 18,776
This is the one of the best amps that I have heard for TH 900 so far, recessed mids...what's that ? 
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #12,552 of 18,776
I got to admit its an interesting trade off, i wouldnt quite go to a snore but the th900 certainly is a more entertaining can. For me its like 800S its about balance and yes being that way is not nearly as fun as th900. If I had to pick one can to live with its 900 all the way. Percussion and bass riffs are startling in the 900, mids are a bit more striking. Im giving the S more time as the more I listen I appreciate what this more polite balanced can is trying to do. It also needs a lot of power to scale it properly. But th900 rocks.

One salient addition, the 800S by no means was acquired as to go head to head with 900. I am not looking for more bass, sub base or a wider three D sound stage. Th900 I know has that cornered. I was looking for more balance and studio based sound scape, Im still need alot of brain burn in to get my head wrapped around that. ya its growing on me

If you don't need a closed headphone per se, you could try equalizing the HD800S and see how far it can go. I assume the music for which the fun character of the TH900 is a benefit wouldn't mind a bit of EQ'ing :)

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #12,554 of 18,776

If you don't need a closed headphone per se, you could try equalizing the HD800S and see how far it can go. I assume the music for which the fun character of the TH900 is a benefit wouldn't mind a bit of EQ'ing :)

I'm not sure you can eq out of limitations in dac or the hardware of cans, cables etc. I don't eq for a variety of reasons. But I'm not looking to adjust down certain frequencies when the sq is just inherently different. Another words I don't think you can or want to eq th900 to sound like 800s and visa versa, it's not like just add bass, etc IMO. But others may feel different so thanks for input.

Yes the Mids in th900 are a tad sharper making strings sound interesting to. The hd800 has balance and even if that word does not encapsulate the experience it is also cool. The 800s detail allows instruments to shine on there own as it doesn't have that frequency competition of one drowning out the other which can make the th900 confusing. In my case I applied Lawton DIY level one dampening and changed the cable to 22 awg Jenna labs pure copper, but I digress.

Maybe eq solves everything I just don't know.

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #12,555 of 18,776
Well, I am not using equalization either, but I know someone who liked the HD800 with the Smyth Realiser A8 more than the TH900 and I could get why. The HD800S being higher resolution I thought equalization might be a way with certain kinds of music, but you're right it won't make it sound with a totally different character.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back