Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #12,527 of 18,761
I was gonna say ...

Haven't heard them, but from what I've read I suspect they're about the same as TH-600's, just with different cups and pads (which will of course have an effect on sound). But a tweaked TH-600 for 400 bucks is still a pretty good deal, I guess. And I love the way they look; I think I even like their style better than the TH-900's.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #12,531 of 18,761
Feb 11, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #12,534 of 18,761
Balanced cables.

But since the cables in the mk1 are already balanced in their wiring does anyone know there is a change in the cable construction or just putting an XLR on one end and detachable connectors on the other.

Not that these are bad upgrades as it would have saved me the trouble of re-terminating my cable but it should mean there is no sonic difference between the models.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #12,535 of 18,761
Balanced cables.

But since the cables in the mk1 are already balanced in their wiring does anyone know there is a change in the cable construction or just putting an XLR on one end and detachable connectors on the other.

Not that these are bad upgrades as it would have saved me the trouble of re-terminating my cable but it should mean there is no sonic difference between the models.

Sorry maybe I'm wrong about this. First off are not the th900 I own se unbalanced cables. Even with my mod I stuck with that. I'm not sure if the new xlr cables are balanced or not or if they offer them like hd800s offers both.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #12,536 of 18,761
Sorry maybe I'm wrong about this. First off are not the th900 I own se unbalanced cables. Even with my mod I stuck with that. I'm not sure if the new xlr cables are balanced or not or if they offer them like hd800s offers both.

There are four wires in the stock cable but what makes them single ended is the fact that the two ground wires are terminated to the same spot/pin in the connector.  In a balanced termination the ground wires are terminated to separate pins.  SE = ground connection shared termination point between L & R.  Balanced = ground wires have a separate L & R termination points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back