Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #12,406 of 18,765
I have the Burson Soloist and my so. Owns the Th900 and the Audeze Deckard headphone amp. The Audeze was a best match for the fostex. The sound thorough the Soloist was hard and dry with the fostex. I believe it's because both of them are fast and this lends a hard,dry sound. Not terrible by any means but the Audeze was a great match in comparison. Having said that, the Burson and any Audeze LCD is a synergy made in heaven!

glad to hear some positive things about the Deckard, which seems to lurk in the shadows behind the LCD phones and other amps. 
I've tried some quality cans lately, but decided to stick with the TH 900s, just more organic sounding from top to bottom compared to LCD 3s, HiFiMan HE 560s, LCD EL-8s; and obviously the 900s are easier to drive. I have a Schiit Lyr 2 hybrid amp now - sort of my entry one-size-fits-many amp.

anyone able to comment on the Lyr 2 vs Deckard for the 900s?

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #12,408 of 18,765
I emailed Fostex in Japan regarding the driver with the MK2 - in Japanese of course, using Google Translate so not perfect. I asked if there was any difference in the driver of the MK2 and original TH900, since the specifications on the website were the same. Here is the answer I got just now from Fostex support.

In Japanese:

件名:TH900 MK2

ご連絡ありがとうございます。
フォステクス・サポートチームの佐藤と申します。

ご質問頂きましたTH900mk2につきましてご回答申し上げます。

TH900とTH900mk2のドライバーは同一の物で違いはございません。
TH900mk2で変更になりましたのはケーブルが着脱可能な方式になったことと、
別売のバランスケーブルをお買い求め頂く事で、バランス接続にも対応でき
る様になったことです。

よろしくお願いいたします。

In English:

Subject: TH900 MK2

Thank you for contact us.
My name is Fostex support team of SATO.

I would like answers for questions received TH900mk2.

The same thing in the TH900 and TH900mk2 drivers are no differences.
And changes in the TH900mk2 had become a removable system cable and
Purchase a balanced cable (sold separately) to the balanced connection is also available
I was like that.

Best regards.

This is the result of Bing Translator which had the clearest translation.

So as per my suspicion since the specs (100 dB/mW, 1.8W max power on the driver & frequency response) were identical on the site and described the same exact way, there is no difference in the actual driver between the original and MKII.

Also, it seems that on Amazon Japan the MK2 goes for 173,000 Japanese Yen = $1462 and the original is 137,000 Japenese Yen and that is $1158. Not a huge price difference at this point.

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #12,410 of 18,765
Thx and pass

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #12,411 of 18,765
If only they didn't use those ugly as connectors and went with something like MDR-Z7/mini xlr connectors...
I think I might go with mk1 and convert them myself, now that it's confirmed that there are no driver changes.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #12,415 of 18,765
Yeah, exactly...I have Z7 and upgraded cables, so I converted it myself into 3.5 TRS and it is wonderfully working :D

What do you mean? You put the Sony upgraded cables on your TH900? As permanent attachment cables, or removable? And you converted what into a 3.5 TRS? So you converted, but still using unbalanced cables?
Sorry man, but we can't read your mind.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #12,417 of 18,765
Cool :popcorn:

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #12,419 of 18,765
I have recently been listening to my TH900 almost exclusively with the Grace M903 - I have to say this is a very pleasing combination - maybe not the last word in high end amp/dacs, but very decent all round experience. I always take the Grace M903 when I need a portable setup when out of town.

An excellent track which really shows just how good the TH900 is at revealing detail across lows mids and highs whilst remaining organic is the HiRez version of Supertramp's Crime of the century 24/192 I have used JRiver version 20 to analyze the dynamic range of this song which comes in at 12 (out of 20) so the remastering is quite good. The third track on the album Hide in my shell has some really great drums around 4.52  and some amazing vocals - I find the TH900 is not lacking at all in the mids (compared with the HD800). I have also listened to this track on the HD800's (exactly the same equipment setup) I think the HD800 nail it for realism in the bass (truly outstanding in the room feeling here at the 4.52 time I turned around thinking someone was playing behind me)however the TH900 have more impact in the bass (no surprises here). The TH900 to my ears are not lacking in the mids at all - funny enough (dare I say it...) to my ears the HD800 sounds better with the bass on this track. There are other albums tracks etc I prefer the TH900 with. The two are really complimentary with the Grace M903.

Set up:
Metabox laptop
Windows 10
Streamlength v1.26 driver for windows
JRiver Version 20
24bit/192khz Crime of The Century  (HD tracks purchase)
Grace m903 amp/dac
TH900 no mods single ended.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #12,420 of 18,765
I have recently been listening to my TH900 almost exclusively with the Grace M903 - I have to say this is a very pleasing combination - maybe not the last word in high end amp/dacs, but very decent all round experience. I always take the Grace M903 when I need a portable setup when out of town.

An excellent track which really shows just how good the TH900 is at revealing detail across lows mids and highs whilst remaining organic is the HiRez version of Supertramp's Crime of the century 24/192 I have used JRiver version 20 to analyze the dynamic range of this song which comes in at 12 (out of 20) so the remastering is quite good. The third track on the album Hide in my shell has some really great drums around 4.52  and some amazing vocals - I find the TH900 is not lacking at all in the mids (compared with the HD800). I have also listened to this track on the HD800's (exactly the same equipment setup) I think the HD800 nail it for realism in the bass (truly outstanding in the room feeling here at the 4.52 time I turned around thinking someone was playing behind me)however the TH900 have more impact in the bass (no surprises here). The TH900 to my ears are not lacking in the mids at all - funny enough (dare I say it...) to my ears the HD800 sounds better with the bass on this track. There are other albums tracks etc I prefer the TH900 with. The two are really complimentary with the Grace M903.

Set up:
Metabox laptop
Windows 10
Streamlength v1.26 driver for windows
JRiver Version 20
24bit/192khz Crime of The Century  (HD tracks purchase)
Grace m903 amp/dac
TH900 no mods single ended.

I thank you for your throughout review on the hd800 and th900. The bass you are hearing is the differences signature of plastic diaphragm vs porous bio cell diaphragms. Different people prefer it differently. I am glad to hear that th900 has enough bass impacts and slam to surpass hd800 in a way. I have been saying this for a while, the recessed mid is somehow only presented by some specific amps. Th900 does not have that recessed mid range that lacks or bother in anyway. It is more like it was tuned a bit far away to create larger soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back