Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 14, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #12,421 of 18,776
I have recently been listening to my TH900 almost exclusively with the Grace M903 - I have to say this is a very pleasing combination - maybe not the last word in high end amp/dacs, but very decent all round experience. I always take the Grace M903 when I need a portable setup when out of town.

An excellent track which really shows just how good the TH900 is at revealing detail across lows mids and highs whilst remaining organic is the HiRez version of Supertramp's Crime of the century 24/192 I have used JRiver version 20 to analyze the dynamic range of this song which comes in at 12 (out of 20) so the remastering is quite good. The third track on the album Hide in my shell has some really great drums around 4.52  and some amazing vocals - I find the TH900 is not lacking at all in the mids (compared with the HD800). I have also listened to this track on the HD800's (exactly the same equipment setup) I think the HD800 nail it for realism in the bass (truly outstanding in the room feeling here at the 4.52 time I turned around thinking someone was playing behind me)however the TH900 have more impact in the bass (no surprises here). The TH900 to my ears are not lacking in the mids at all - funny enough (dare I say it...) to my ears the HD800 sounds better with the bass on this track. There are other albums tracks etc I prefer the TH900 with. The two are really complimentary with the Grace M903.

Set up:
Metabox laptop
Windows 10
Streamlength v1.26 driver for windows
JRiver Version 20
24bit/192khz Crime of The Century  (HD tracks purchase)
Grace m903 amp/dac
TH900 no mods single ended.

I thank you for your throughout review on the hd800 and th900. The bass you are hearing is the differences signature of plastic diaphragm vs porous bio cell diaphragms. Different people prefer it differently. I am glad to hear that th900 has enough bass impacts and slam to surpass hd800 in a way. I have been saying this for a while, the recessed mid is somehow only presented by some specific amps. Th900 does not have that recessed mid range that lacks or bother in anyway. It is more like it was tuned a bit far away to create larger soundstage.

I thought there was recessed Mids, at least until the TT. Now I'm not so sure at all. It's got the base slam, clear 3D mids. I'm waiting to receive my hd800s in early February and will post my thoughts versus 900 after. Probably on the hd800s threads as I have been asked to do so by several posters.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #12,423 of 18,776
fr measurements consistently show that the th900 has a mid range dip. it's been a deal breaker for some folks who have sold off their th900's because of it. while for others it's not an issue. i fall into the latter group but i'm not going to claim that it isn't there or that it is entirely amp dependent, which strikes me as unlikely.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #12,424 of 18,776
fr measurements consistently show that the th900 has a mid range dip. it's been a deal breaker for some folks who have sold off their th900's because of it. while for others it's not an issue. i fall into the latter group but i'm not going to claim that it isn't there or that it is entirely amp dependent, which strikes me as unlikely.

I do agree, these are mostly V-shaped, though not severely so. With a good tube amp the mids really do warm up, and if you listen to certain genres of music that are suited for the V signature then it works great - for example I listen to a lot of Deep House and using a good tube amp warms the mids while keeping the bass and treble where they need to be, of course making sure the tubes are appropriate. Also need to be careful of the tube amp output impedance, especially if it's a pure tube amplifier since these are sensitive cans. But if you've used Fostex or even Denon's that's their basic house sound, though the TH900 is a bit more emphasized with that.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #12,425 of 18,776
sure. there's a possibility that pairing the th900 with some amps might mitigate it and that it will be less noticeable with certain types of music, but to suggest that the th900 does not have a recessed midrange is wishful thinking.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #12,426 of 18,776
I c0nverted into detachable cables with solid silver toward TRS 3.5mm one jack per cup. That can connect to any other extension cables, balanced/unbalanced

Can you give us the supplies you used and how you attached it to the frame/cups?  Thanks! 

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #12,427 of 18,776
There are several ways to do. The wires attached to the cups by the mini-zip ties. I could use silicone to fill it up, but that will be hell lot of work to remove when needed. Female 3.5m is Rean neutrik.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NB4X2U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_
Cables, anything you want ofcourse. You can even re-use the stock cables, just cut it at the good length and solder the jacks on, stock cables is knot tight onto the frame inside

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #12,428 of 18,776
Well, I just upgraded my pads to have more angle like 2.5mm thicker on the rears to project the sound more onto the ears. The foam discs were cut into shape and receded inside the pad to make sure it doesn't cover the foam rings that control the drivers! Works out beautifully.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #12,431 of 18,776
Jan 14, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #12,432 of 18,776
Are those the Lawton angle pads ot?...

Nope, just stock pads and foam discs cut into shape and slot right-in :D . They can easily be taken in-out, just slot inside, and they recede far in there just on top of the metal chassis and not affecting or blocking the porous open-cell foam ring that control the driver

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #12,435 of 18,776
Wow. Pretty interesting. Is there a noticeable change in sound?

Not really, only the pads allow better fit, and the drivers now can aim directly down the Kobe of a little tilted foward. There is changes in the trebles clarity and energy when the drivers sit directly on top of my ears, if it tilted toward the fronts a bit it get smooth out and if it tilted toward the rear a bit it will have the more expansive soundstage....but those are nuances changes, and it also happens in stock form...just the stock pads don't allow to wear it snuffy enough to really test it out. So my conclusion is no changes in sound , only comfort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back