Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #11,236 of 18,765
If you put it that way, we might as well call trumpets just metal pipes with a bunch of holes in them! 
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #11,238 of 18,765
Oh... I thought you were joking there. No, I think you're digging a little too deep in the analogy, there. The point was, people shouldn't worry too much about finding that "one" end-game headphone that will satisfy all their needs for the eternity of time. It's fine to buy multiple headphones for different occasions/purposes. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #11,239 of 18,765
digging too deep? just thought that your analogy was flawed is all, but totally get your point about having cans with different sound signatures to suit your mood, music genre etc. it's all good.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #11,241 of 18,765
Everyone has the freedom to have many headphones or just one. Personally, I couldn't live with having rock-headphones, pop-headphones and metal-headphones. I want to be able to listen to everything without changing headphones several times.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #11,242 of 18,765
i have a few cans that i enjoy swapping around but that's not dependant on music genre. i just like having the variety. i can't do that as easily with loudspeakers and nor would i want to.

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #11,246 of 18,765
  Everyone has the freedom to have many headphones or just one. Personally, I couldn't live with having rock-headphones, pop-headphones and metal-headphones. I want to be able to listen to everything without changing headphones several times.

Exactly, that's why I use my HD650 more than TH900, because HD650 apart from EDM do everything better..... However HD650 have to be driven correctly for them to sing, unlike TH900 which sound good on just about anything, but they do scale up as well.

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #11,247 of 18,765
  Exactly, that's why I use my HD650 more than TH900, because HD650 apart from EDM do everything better..... However HD650 have to be driven correctly for them to sing, unlike TH900 which sound good on just about anything, but they do scale up as well.

Er... doesn't that actually kind of prove my point, that sometimes it's better to have multiple headphones to suit one's needs? 

Yea, you use the HD-650 the most... but you're still having to bust out the TH-900 for the EDM. 

I've been in the headphone hobby for over ten years. I realize there will never be a perfect headphone that does everything perfectly well, so I've resigned to just buying headphones for their intended purposes. 

Don't get me wrong... Ideally, there would be that one perfect headphone out there in existence, but practically speaking, it doesn't, and most likely never will. People are obviously free to do whatever they want with their money, be it just spend it on one headphone, but there's nothing wrong with buying different pairs for different purposes. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #11,248 of 18,765
don't think that there's a point to be proven here. if you're a member of this forum or lurking, chances are that your "need" to have more than one pair of cans is going to be greater than someone who is happy listening to music on their beats and is blissfully unaware of the existence of this forum. different strokes for different folks as they say. i'd probably still be happy with a pair of bose if i hadn't stumbled down this rabbit hole. :wink:

bit puzzled by your statement tho. are you saying that the "intended purposes" of cans differ? or do you mean that you prefer certain cans for particular purposes?

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #11,249 of 18,765

Er... doesn't that actually kind of prove my point, that sometimes it's better to have multiple headphones to suit one's needs? 

Yea, you use the HD-650 the most... but you're still having to bust out the TH-900 for the EDM. 

I've been in the headphone hobby for over ten years. I realize there will never be a perfect headphone that does everything perfectly well, so I've resigned to just buying headphones for their intended purposes. 

Don't get me wrong... Ideally, there would be that one perfect headphone out there in existence, but practically speaking, it doesn't, and most likely never will. People are obviously free to do whatever they want with their money, be it just spend it on one headphone, but there's nothing wrong with buying different pairs for different purposes. 

Totally agree....... was just posting my subjective view to TheOtus.  Wasn't an attack on anyone

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #11,250 of 18,765
  Totally agree....... was just posting my subjective view to TheOtus.  Wasn't an attack on anyone

No worries... didn't mean to say you were attacking me or anything. 

bit puzzled by your statement tho. are you saying that the "intended purposes" of cans differ? or are you saying that you prefer certain cans for particular music genres/purposes?

Well, I'm pretty certain when a manufacturer creates a headphone, they make it with a certain goal in mind. And every manufacturer's goals will be slightly different. With Sennheisers, it's pretty obvious they were created with classical music in mind (not solely, but largely). Whereas with something like AKG's, it's pretty obvious they were created with modern pop music in mind. 

And in that way, some headphones are better for certain genres than others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back