Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 7, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #9,391 of 18,765
To put it in perspective, Canadian411 is the only person I know who thinks the GS-X mk2 is ugly.  We joke about it often.  However, it comes down to his preference.  

So I wouldn't think the unit is faulty - he just has a very difference of opinion on most things.  

lol!

I've seen plenty of people who didn't like burson.  I believe there was a lot of criticism going around when the HA-160 was released.  They were very similar complaints about 'muddying' up the sound.

hmm - guess we must have read different reviews and listening impressions. there were criticisms of the ha-160's stepped attenuator but apart from that it got praised for its performance and build quality at its price point.

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #9,392 of 18,765
Maybe it's a personal taste/pref but I don't like TH900 with Burson, when I tried with HA-1 it's super clean and mids are engaging.  I was complaing all this year about TH900 mids due to Burson amp.  Maybe it has to do with Part Connexion tweak ?

I heard that normal Burson is different than from Part Connexion.

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #9,393 of 18,765
  To put it in perspective, Canadian411 is the only person I know who thinks the GS-X mk2 is ugly.  We joke about it often.  However, it comes down to his preference.  

So I wouldn't think the unit is faulty - he just has a very difference of opinion on most things.  

Ya still ugly IMO, look at those ugly screws, the front panel for example (12 including power unit in mk1) 4 on top of each unit, mk2 has 14 screws ! in front + 8 on top, (amp and power unit).
Not very professional and still look like home made.

Look at Auralic Taurus, just 2 in front, and can't even tell if is a screw, and non on the power unit (front), that's what I call it professional looking unit.

But it's all matter of your taste, I don't like it period, if Justin makes something similar to Auralic product I will save and buy.

I install crown moulding and wainscoting as a part time hobby and I really don't like seeing nails and screws, :wink: maybe that's the reason behind me, I want the perfection !.

And forget to add, :wink:, I don't think I have a different opinion, I was sure Burson 160 series were muddy and there were report about it, and I can hear the difference between Oppo and burson, etc.  Another "not" so impressive amp with respect to the price is the Ray Sammuel's amp, and I knew this since the beginning, now people are realizing that lol.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #9,395 of 18,765
Did some more listening between TH900 and HD800 just to get the feel of their sound, and let some more 'brain burn-in'. The instruments sound different.. like I found that the Indian flute sounds richer and juicy on th900, it has a nice "flavor" (not sure how else to describe it). Whereas on HD800 it sounds more airy, and natural. I prefer the sound of acoustic guitar on TH900, whereas the saxophone and trumpets more on HD800. This may be a weird personal analogy, but listening to TH900 is like tasting a really good meal, and listening to HD800 is like admiring a big beautiful painting, both equally satisfying.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #9,396 of 18,765

Ya still ugly IMO, look at those ugly screws, the front panel for example (12 including power unit in mk1) 4 on top of each unit, mk2 has 14 screws ! in front + 8 on top, (amp and power unit).
Not very professional and still look like home made.

Look at Auralic Taurus, just 2 in front, and can't even tell if is a screw, and non on the power unit (front), that's what I call it professional looking unit.

But it's all matter of your taste, I don't like it period, if Justin makes something similar to Auralic product I will save and buy.

I install crown moulding and wainscoting as a part time hobby and I really don't like seeing nails and screws, :wink: maybe that's the reason behind me, I want the perfection !.

And forget to add, :wink:, I don't think I have a different opinion, I was sure Burson 160 series were muddy and there were report about it, and I can hear the difference between Oppo and burson, etc.  Another "not" so impressive amp with respect to the price is the Ray Sammuel's amp, and I knew this since the beginning, now people are realizing that lol.

I'm pretty sure Justin don't care to much if you think his work is ugly and I'm pretty sure he'll say you can keep your money as well.  Besides he has a pretty good following and he sell out all the time.  So that's a PERIOD..   

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #9,397 of 18,765
Did some more listening between TH900 and HD800 just to get the feel of their sound, and let some more 'brain burn-in'. The instruments sound different.. like I found that the Indian flute sounds richer and juicy on th900, it has a nice "flavor" (not sure how else to describe it). Whereas on HD800 it sounds more airy, and natural. I prefer the sound of acoustic guitar on TH900, whereas the saxophone and trumpets more on HD800. This may be a weird personal analogy, but listening to TH900 is like tasting a really good meal, and listening to HD800 is like admiring a big beautiful painting, both equally satisfying. :)  

visceral is the word that comes to mind for the th900. it's been a while since i heard the hd800 but i remember finding the presentation kinda distant and feeling a bit disconnected from it.

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #9,398 of 18,765
visceral is the word that comes to mind for the th900. it's been a while since i heard the hd800 but i remember finding the presentation kinda distant and feeling a bit disconnected from it.

There we go, that's the word! It definitely has that body and mass to it. I keep coming back to them more and more after listening to the Sennheisers lol. Though I find HD800s do really well with deep atmospheric music (ambient, drone stuff), which demands that wide soundstage.

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #9,399 of 18,765
still interested in getting a totl open can. have auditioned most of them. the hd800 is one i'd like to try again.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #9,402 of 18,765
still interested in getting a totl open can. have auditioned most of them. the hd800 is one i'd like to try again.

Do it man. They complement each other very well.
HD 800 is like a large professional auditorium with a very technical appeal and showoff whereas the fostex is a sexy elegant, very well designed and lit club. Maybe this description doesn't help.

HD 800 can kick pretty hard too, starting from a small Vali from Schiit.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #9,403 of 18,765
Do it man. They complement each other very well.
HD 800 is like a large professional auditorium with a very technical appeal and showoff whereas the fostex is a sexy elegant, very well designed and lit club. Maybe this description doesn't help.

HD 800 can kick pretty hard too, starting from a small Vali from Schiit.

yeah, i have both and they complement each other very well...just tend to listen to the th900 80% of the time, though...i find them more enjoyable to listen to. interested in the he-6 because i've read they are somewhat neutral like the hd800 (though nothing matches the hd800) but retains more of a euphonic character to them. i had the he500 previously and while they were good, i didn't find them terribly good. i'd forgive the weight of the he-6 if in fact they are that good.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #9,405 of 18,765
For me it's exactly the opposite. I have both and use HD 800 90% of the time :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back