Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 7, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #9,380 of 18,776
it's more likely that it's a faulty unit don't you think? otherwise you'd expect to see widespread complaints about the sound being muddy. that's a major flaw and i haven't seen burson gear described in that way before. or it could be an exaggeration / poor choice of word - just sayin. :wink:

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #9,381 of 18,776
To put it in perspective, Canadian411 is the only person I know who thinks the GS-X mk2 is ugly.  We joke about it often.  However, it comes down to his preference.  

So I wouldn't think the unit is faulty - he just has a very difference of opinion on most things.  

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #9,382 of 18,776

I had a meet with my friend last night 
atsmile.gif

Finally have the chance to compare these two woodie beauties in a quiet room. However the source we used is my ifi micro idsd and his HM901, which are probably not good enough for these headphones. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #9,383 of 18,776
i've seen nothing but good reports about burson gear. if it's making the th900 which has such a clean presentation sound muddy, then there might be something wrong with your unit.

I've seen plenty of people who didn't like burson.  I believe there was a lot of criticism going around when the HA-160 was released.  They were very similar complaints about 'muddying' up the sound.
Originally Posted by Edric Li /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a meet with my friend last night 
atsmile.gif

Finally have the chance to compare these two woodie beauties in a quiet room. However the source we used is my ifi micro idsd and his HM901, which are probably not good enough for these headphones. 

Is the 901 not a high quality source?  I know I was considering the 801 as a desktop dac for a while because of how well it was received as a DAC.  People were (and still are) using it as a desktop dac in pretty good setups because of its presentation.  Without a doubt the 901 has improved on that.  Did you have any decent amplifiction to run it through? Cause if so I doubt there would be any issues.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #9,384 of 18,776
I owned the HA-160 and hated the sound because it was too warm and slow (muddy) but the Soloist is completely different.  The Soloist sounds neutral, fast, and clear to me.  Everything I've tried with the Soloist has sounded great so far.  I have no complaints.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #9,385 of 18,776
Agreed, Soloist is a different animal.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #9,386 of 18,776

I had a meet with my friend last night :atsmile:

Looking at these photos makes me very nervous for the beautiful wood finishes...aren't you afraid of scratching them by piling them on top of each other like that?

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #9,387 of 18,776
Anyone else had this happen?  I just reached to take the LCD-2 off my head and thought these feel weird,  I forgot I was listening to the TH-900.  I've done this before with the HD 600 also, thought I was listening to the HD 800 and looked over and saw the HD 800 laying on the table.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #9,388 of 18,776
vlach said:
Looking at these photos makes me very nervous for the beautiful wood finishes...aren't you afraid of scratching them by piling them on top of each other like that?

^the sound come out the other side :wink:
Seriously though - you can replace the wood cups of they ever get seriously damaged... but they aren't THAT fragile.

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #9,389 of 18,776
  Anyone else had this happen?  I just reached to take the LCD-2 off my head and thought these feel weird,  I forgot I was listening to the TH-900.  I've done this before with the HD 600 also, thought I was listening to the HD 800 and looked over and saw the HD 800 laying on the table.

Nope, never took a torturing device off my head and thought it was a TH-900 ...  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back