Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #6,346 of 18,765
  Out of curiosity, why did you pick the Soloist vs the Soloist SL? I debated between both and decided the SL made more sense for the TH900 since it doesn't need a ton power and I personally prefer analog volume. Haven't gotten it yet, so can't say how it sounds, but hoping its as good.

I had the same mindset as you initially. I reached out to Drew at Moon Audio and he said the Soloist produces a much more refined sound compared to the SL and that Stepped attenuators are always a better sound. As the signal only travels through 1 resistor. Verse with wiper control the signal is more saturated. For those two reasons I figured spending a few more bucks was worth it. Very happy I did.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #6,348 of 18,765
The Hugo's way too new. I doubt Chord have even started shipping them in anger yet. Only review I've seen was on Audiostream, who just put in a paragraph about headphone listening as lip service. InnerFidelity is supposed to receive that same unit for testing, though.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #6,352 of 18,765
There are lots of reviews out now, plus the thread. Seems to be the real deal for many. They've just started to arrive for distribution to the US. Moon Audio is about two weeks out from shipping, and I have a call in to Bluebonnet, Chord's US distributor, to see when they are shipping to their retailers. 

Cavalli is working on a more affordable portable DAC/Amp with extremely high performance. Can't wait for the comparison : )

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #6,353 of 18,765
It looks
There are lots of reviews out now, plus the thread. Seems to be the real deal for many. They've just started to arrive for distribution to the US. Moon Audio is about two weeks out from shipping, and I have a call in to Bluebonnet, Chord's US distributor, to see when they are shipping to their retailers. 

Cavalli is working on a more affordable portable DAC/Amp with extremely high performance. Can't wait for the comparison : )

It looks like an interesting product but I'll wait until more reviews are forthcoming before I take the plunge. I'm a little concerned that it's more DAC than headphone amplifier.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #6,354 of 18,765
After reading through this entire thread (!) I finally ordered the TH900 from Amazon; I've always been happy with Amazon's service and their prime shipping.  (I order a lot through them for my business).  

When they were delivered today via UPS, I noticed that the box seemed very light.  (The driver had gone before I got a chance to open the box).  Upon opening the package, I saw that I had a pair of Fostex TH5BB headphones.  These are portable on-ear phones retailing for $50.00.

I got online via chat with Amazon, and the matter was resolved, except that they are now out of stock on the TH900s until the end of March, or early April, so I arranged to return my TH5BB phones without opening the box, and cancelled the original order for the TH900s.  I've now reordered the TH900s from B&H; they will arrive in a few days (I did not choose expedited shipping, since a blizzard on the way will shut down this area for the next 2-3 days).

Interesting, though; someone at an Amazon warehouse somewhere saw a box with TH5BB printed on it, and read it as TH900.  Actually, it might be an easy mistake to make, depending on the lighting, lack of sleep or caffeine level.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to getting them next week.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #6,355 of 18,765
Too bad to hear of the lousy service, I only order gear through local high end shops. The wait will be worth it I think. Let us now how they are and compare to the hd800.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #6,356 of 18,765
Hey everyone. I went to use my TH900s today and noticed that my left earcup now swivels 360 degrees. Anyone know who this may have happened? Not sure of the inner workings of these headphones, but they have been sitting on my headphone stand anytime they are not in use. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

cheers

p.s. If you need pics I can provide if needed. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #6,357 of 18,765
  Hey everyone. I went to use my TH900s today and noticed that my left earcup now swivels 360 degrees. Anyone know who this may have happened? Not sure of the inner workings of these headphones, but they have been sitting on my headphone stand anytime they are not in use. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

cheers

p.s. If you need pics I can provide if needed. 

Something must have loosened inside the hinge. No idea how. Just curious but that is your serial number? (e.g. 0026x if you don't want to reveal the exact number)

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #6,358 of 18,765
  Something must have loosened inside the hinge. No idea how. Just curious but that is your serial number? (e.g. 0026x if you don't want to reveal the exact number)

#780. is there a way to easily tighten it up? I don't think its changing the sound or anything but just a bit odd. Only think I can think of is just taking them on and off a lot as they are my main headphone. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #6,359 of 18,765
I think the swivel is restricted by the shape of the screw and the screw hole, so maybe you need a new screw, or you need to tighten the screw? Could you post a close up of the side of the swivel joint?

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #6,360 of 18,765
  I think the swivel is restricted by the shape of the screw and the screw hole, so maybe you need a new screw, or you need to tighten the screw? Could you post a close up of the side of the swivel joint?

This is the Right side which is working fine

First image of left cup

2nd image

I'm sorry ahead of time. I could not get a perfect focus on the left cup for some reason. I don't have my SLR with me right now :frowning2:. Also after taking photos, it would seem a dusting is in order. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back