Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 21, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #6,376 of 18,761

I have both TH900 and HD800 and feel the same way about them - although i have the LCD-3's as well which takes up quite a bit of my time :p

HE-6 is also on the way with a studio six not falling far behind....

The ALO SS is one of the best amp pairing i heard with the HD800 and LCDs, although not my favourite for the TH900

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #6,377 of 18,761
I'm really conflicted on whether to get the TH900s or not. I don't know how much of an improvement it will be over my D7000s. I've read through this thread and it seems to be better in pretty much everything when compared to the D7000s. I will also have to get rid of my D7000s if I get the TH900s. Don't know what to do since I can't audition them easily. Anyone want to give me advice? 

Since u asked.......I have both. The D7000's are Lawtom modded with his angle pads so really much better than stock. Had them stock and did the mods so I heard the improvement. They are very close to the TH900's in every way. I'm 52 years old so my hearing probably has some holes but to me the two are wonderful semi-clones.

Now I have Mark Lawton doing his magic to my TH900's as I write this so I'm very interested in hearing the change. He made the D7000 go from very good to great so if I get anything out of this mod I'll be thrilled.

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #6,378 of 18,761
Just curious about the Lawton thing. Off the top I have no desire to mod the Japanese cherry birch, or the ear pads made from protein leather synthesized from egg shell membrane, nor the chord. I can't imagine that these components would result in sound improvement. The only thing I could see is tuning. The process is not discussed in any detail on there sight so what does Lawton know that fostex does not about tuning there cans. What is actually done. Why can't we just get them tuned if thats so great. Why wouldn't fostex offer tuning? Maybe I just need some help to understand. I realize we are all chasing the dragon here, is it worth it.?

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #6,379 of 18,761
Since u asked.......I have both. The D7000's are Lawtom modded with his angle pads so really much better than stock. Had them stock and did the mods so I heard the improvement. They are very close to the TH900's in every way. I'm 52 years old so my hearing probably has some holes but to me the two are wonderful semi-clones.

Now I have Mark Lawton doing his magic to my TH900's as I write this so I'm very interested in hearing the change. He made the D7000 go from very good to great so if I get anything out of this mod I'll be thrilled.

That's very interesting. Thank you for your insight.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #6,380 of 18,761
Not being obtuse but how so?

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #6,381 of 18,761
Anyone have a good set of instructions on re-terminating the TH900 with a XLR 4 pin connector? I don't expect any SQ changes but would really like to use it on my Mjolnir to see how it matches up.

I'm assuming get a NC4MX-HD, cut the old connector off, strip the cable, strip the wires, figure out which wire is which and solder it all back up. But a nice set of instructions to follow is always nicer. :^)

Thanks,

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #6,382 of 18,761
Just curious about the Lawton thing. Off the top I have no desire to mod the Japanese cherry birch, or the ear pads made from protein leather synthesized from egg shell membrane, nor the chord. I can't imagine that these components would result in sound improvement. The only thing I could see is tuning. The process is not discussed in any detail on there sight so what does Lawton know that fostex does not about tuning there cans. What is actually done. Why can't we just get them tuned if thats so great. Why wouldn't fostex offer tuning? Maybe I just need some help to understand. I realize we are all chasing the dragon here, is it worth it.?

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #6,383 of 18,761
I have started trying the TH900 with the Burson Soloist and wanted to note that I have been pretty impressed so far. The TH900 gets the usual bump up in soundstage and imaging one tends to hear about the Soloist sound, along with an added weight to everything that feels really nice. The soundstage and sense of place that the Burson adds is easily the most impressive feature of the amp though. Even simple YouTube video blogs and such suddenly have a "You are in the room with the speaker." kind of feel to them in some cases that I would not have thought possible with such a source. I wonder how it does that.

However, I needed some time to adjust to the sound and still wonder if I have not lost a hint of detail with this relatively warm sounding for a solid state kind of amp. Further brain burn in will perhaps reveal the overall answer, but I already sense that I am liking the sound more the more I listen to it. I will try direct comparison with other amps later.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #6,384 of 18,761
Thanks for the reply but until you have heard th900 I'm not convinced, although I'm not provoking or trying to be convinced. Maybe I need to research myself but what is the DIY tune, pads aside. What happens? Is someone equalizing something and how? Has anyone here had th900 done a tune and can disclose what it sounds like? Frankly I'm tickled as things are?

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #6,386 of 18,761
No, except im really just trying to drive how th900 can be improved by tuning, what that process is, and has anyone done it considering the proprietary nature of the pads, cups, and chord that probably can't be improved. I'm just asking?

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #6,387 of 18,761
Thanks for the reply but until you have heard th900 I'm not convinced, although I'm not provoking or trying to be convinced. Maybe I need to research myself but what is the DIY tune, pads aside. What happens? Is someone equalizing something and how? Has anyone here had th900 done a tune and can disclose what it sounds like? Frankly I'm tickled as things are?

A DIY tune is the same thing Mark Lawton does for you.  Adds Fatmat or Dynamat to the cups, drivers and various parts of the drivers (front and back), and with his angle pads it is, as jibzilla said, considered a level 1 full tune.  This is what I experienced with my D7000.  It literally went from a good headphone to a great one, which is why I'm taking a leap of faith that the TH900, which is already an amazing headphone, will be just that much better.   At this point I'm doing just the tune without the pads but I have a pair of spare angle pads at home I can put on for testing once I get the TH900 back.

There are many YouTube videos about the Lawton mods - just search for it and watch a bit of it.  Very simple mod, easy to do yourself but best part is it works. 

I posted about doing this mod once before as a question and got nothing but "why are you messing with a great headphone", and many other comments along that vein.  With that, I also got a couple of PM's from guys who did the tune but didn't want to ignite a firestorm, and they both thought the improvement was clearly there, and worth doing.  It's $99 to have Mark do it.  That is not a huge investment, and I'm at the point of fine tuning my favorite headphones right now.  Just sent my D7000 to BTG audio to have a Q French Silk cable swapped in for the stock item, so that headphone will be DONE. 

I realize some guys think I'm crazy, but so what?  It's my headphone and if they come back improved, which I have no doubt they will if my experience with the D7000 is an example, I'll just have a better than stock TH900, which also has a Q French Silk cable that was put on by BTG when Greed owned this pair. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #6,388 of 18,761
Thanks for that, please reply post when its done with your thoughts on the th900 mod. Maybe a before and after picture as well.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #6,389 of 18,761
Thanks for that, please reply post when its done with your thoughts on the th900 mod. Maybe a before and after picture as well.

I'll post up but because the mods are all internal to the cups you won't "see" any change. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #6,390 of 18,761

A DIY tune is the same thing Mark Lawton does for you.  Adds Fatmat or Dynamat to the cups, drivers and various parts of the drivers (front and back), and with his angle pads it is, as jibzilla said, considered a level 1 full tune.  This is what I experienced with my D7000.  It literally went from a good headphone to a great one, which is why I'm taking a leap of faith that the TH900, which is already an amazing headphone, will be just that much better.   At this point I'm doing just the tune without the pads but I have a pair of spare angle pads at home I can put on for testing once I get the TH900 back.

There are many YouTube videos about the Lawton mods - just search for it and watch a bit of it.  Very simple mod, easy to do yourself but best part is it works. 

I posted about doing this mod once before as a question and got nothing but "why are you messing with a great headphone", and many other comments along that vein.  With that, I also got a couple of PM's from guys who did the tune but didn't want to ignite a firestorm, and they both thought the improvement was clearly there, and worth doing.  It's $99 to have Mark do it.  That is not a huge investment, and I'm at the point of fine tuning my favorite headphones right now.  Just sent my D7000 to BTG audio to have a Q French Silk cable swapped in for the stock item, so that headphone will be DONE. 

I realize some guys think I'm crazy, but so what?  It's my headphone and if they come back improved, which I have no doubt they will if my experience with the D7000 is an example, I'll just have a better than stock TH900, which also has a Q French Silk cable that was put on by BTG when Greed owned this pair. 

You cray Frank... just cray. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back