Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #6,361 of 18,759
To me, it mostly appears okay from the outside. Or maybe the top of the left screw might be popping up a bit. I don't know what your best option might be. Contact Fostex or your audio store for a repair/replacement?

My left cup is a bit loose (but hasn't changed) and I haven't done anything about it. Probably over a year since I bought mine now though.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #6,362 of 18,759
  To me, it mostly appears okay from the outside. Or maybe the top of the left screw might be popping up a bit. I don't know what your best option might be. Contact Fostex or your audio store for a repair/replacement?

My left cup is a bit loose (but hasn't changed) and I haven't done anything about it. Probably over a year since I bought mine now though.

Yea I noticed the left screw being slightly higher. I will send them a pm about it. Thanks for the help!

Edit- I may have problems though as the cable has been modded to be detachable...

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #6,363 of 18,759
Had to go look cause just don't get it, looks like there is an internal issue, no external screw. Hope you are in warranty.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #6,364 of 18,759
  Yea I noticed the left screw being slightly higher. I will send them a pm about it. Thanks for the help!

Edit- I may have problems though as the cable has been modded to be detachable...

If you guys are comfortable working on the fix yourself, it's really simple to deal with.  Take the pads off, then you can take the cups off with the 4 screws that are accessible from the slot the pad ring snaps into.  Then you can get at the screw holding the cup to the gimbal (not sure if that's the right word).  If you need to tighten the two screws holding the cups to the holder thingie (like my technical jargon?) you remove the driver unit and you now have access.  Anyway, there are videos on the Lawton website and on youtube on how to do do the Lawton damping and this teaches you how to access the innards of the headphones.  I've taken my D2000 down to the frame with no worries. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #6,366 of 18,759
  And you would probably void the warranty of you very expensive headphone at the same time. 

True, but if he already recabled it he probably voided the warranty already.  I personally would rather fix it myself than send it somewhere and be without it for weeks.  But if it was pristine, untouched, unmodified I'd probably ask them to warranty fix it, as you're recommending. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6,367 of 18,759
I agree. Same if he is the second owner.
@kcxgte,
If you decide to fix it yourself, make sure you take some nice pics of the inside to share. 
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #6,368 of 18,759
Too bad to hear of the lousy service, I only order gear through local high end shops. The wait will be worth it I think. Let us now how they are and compare to the hd800.
To me the TH-900 & HD800 are complete opposite headphones. They are my end-game pair (for now, lol) the hd800 is very analytical and excels is imaging & soundstage. They have peaked trebles, but their mid & treble clarity are unmatched. Perfect for instrumental, vocals, classical, jazz, & orchestra. The only thing wrong with them is they can sound flat with some music genres. The TH-900 excels in dynamics, with impactful low frequencies when you want to feel the music, while still having that high-end mid & treble accuracy and clarity. It really gives some music genres so much more life & soul. Great for rock, pop, DubStep, and hip hop. A smaller soundstage than the massive one on the hd800, but large enough for 3d imaging and instrument spatial separation.

Hd800 also leaks a lot on sound both in and out. When it's noisy around or late at night to keep sound in, the closed TH-900 takes precedence.

Both great for which mood I am in and music genre I feel like listening to. Both masters at their own elements.

I sold my Beyerdynamic T1. I would say its sound signature is in between the TH-900 & hd800. Amazing with all music genres. Just didn't have that special magic that my two current headphones have.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #6,369 of 18,759
To me the TH-900 & HD800 are complete opposite headphones. They are my end-game pair (for now, lol) the hd800 is very analytical and excels is imaging & soundstage. They have peaked trebles, but their mid & treble clarity are unmatched. Perfect for instrumental, vocals, classical, jazz, & orchestra. The only thing wrong with them is they can sound flat with some music genres. The TH-900 excels in dynamics, with impactful low frequencies when you want to feel the music, while still having that high-end mid & treble accuracy and clarity. It really gives some music genres so much more life & soul. Great for rock, pop, DubStep, and hip hop. A smaller soundstage than the massive one on the hd800, but large enough for 3d imaging and instrument spatial separation.

Hd800 also leaks a lot on sound both in and out. When it's noisy around or late at night to keep sound in, the closed TH-900 takes precedence.

Both great for which mood I am in and music genre I feel like listening to. Both masters at their own elements.

I sold my Beyerdynamic T1. I would say its sound signature is in between the TH-900 & hd800. Amazing with all music genres. Just didn't have that special magic that my two current headphones have.

I have both TH900 and HD800 and feel the same way about them - although i have the LCD-3's as well which takes up quite a bit of my time :p

HE-6 is also on the way with a studio six not falling far behind....

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #6,370 of 18,759

I have both TH900 and HD800 and feel the same way about them - although i have the LCD-3's as well which takes up quite a bit of my time :p

HE-6 is also on the way with a studio six not falling far behind....

All those great HPs, some are bound to get lonely. 
smile.gif

Im done buying headphones for a while. My two do everything i could want and desire. Im looking into a new amp though. Possibly the HDVD800 or the WA2.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #6,371 of 18,759
I'm really conflicted on whether to get the TH900s or not. I don't know how much of an improvement it will be over my D7000s. I've read through this thread and it seems to be better in pretty much everything when compared to the D7000s. I will also have to get rid of my D7000s if I get the TH900s. Don't know what to do since I can't audition them easily. Anyone want to give me advice? 

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #6,372 of 18,759
  I'm really conflicted on whether to get the TH900s or not. I don't know how much of an improvement it will be over my D7000s. I've read through this thread and it seems to be better in pretty much everything when compared to the D7000s. I will also have to get rid of my D7000s if I get the TH900s. Don't know what to do since I can't audition them easily. Anyone want to give me advice? 

Well here is a review that gives a pretty good comparison to the D7000. http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/12/fostex-th900-review.html

IMO if you like the D7000 sound signature you will love these. Oh I see you have the with the WA2. Anyone paired the WA2 with the TH-900 before?

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #6,374 of 18,759
  Well here is a review that gives a pretty good comparison to the D7000. http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/12/fostex-th900-review.html

IMO if you like the D7000 sound signature you will love these. Oh I see you have the with the WA2. Anyone paired the WA2 with the TH-900 before?

Don't use the wa2 with low impedance cans. The th900 works with wa2 but its medicore at best

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #6,375 of 18,759
  Don't use the wa2 with low impedance cans. The th900 works with wa2 but its medicore at best

I've tested out the WA2 with the D7000s and it doesn't sound too bad but not great. The D7000s sound much better from my DAC headphone out than from the WA2. I assume the TH900s will be similarly non ideal. But it is an OTL amp that's best paired with high impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back