Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #6,391 of 18,761

The ALO SS is one of the best amp pairing i heard with the HD800 and LCDs, although not my favourite for the TH900

Great to hear; LCD-3's are my main at the moment anyway - will have an HE6 coming (currently have an auralic taurus and the TH-900's are lovely from that anyway)

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #6,392 of 18,761
  I'm really conflicted on whether to get the TH900s or not. I don't know how much of an improvement it will be over my D7000s. I've read through this thread and it seems to be better in pretty much everything when compared to the D7000s. I will also have to get rid of my D7000s if I get the TH900s. Don't know what to do since I can't audition them easily. Anyone want to give me advice? 

As someone who owned a fully modded Lawton Audio LA7000 (and loved them), and now owns the Th900, buy the TH900 and never look back. : )

The Fostex do everything better. Better bottom end, better mids, better control of the treble and big improvements in soundstage.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #6,394 of 18,761

A DIY tune is the same thing Mark Lawton does for you.  Adds Fatmat or Dynamat to the cups, drivers and various parts of the drivers (front and back), and with his angle pads it is, as jibzilla said, considered a level 1 full tune.  This is what I experienced with my D7000.  It literally went from a good headphone to a great one, which is why I'm taking a leap of faith that the TH900, which is already an amazing headphone, will be just that much better.   At this point I'm doing just the tune without the pads but I have a pair of spare angle pads at home I can put on for testing once I get the TH900 back.

There are many YouTube videos about the Lawton mods - just search for it and watch a bit of it.  Very simple mod, easy to do yourself but best part is it works. 

I posted about doing this mod once before as a question and got nothing but "why are you messing with a great headphone", and many other comments along that vein.  With that, I also got a couple of PM's from guys who did the tune but didn't want to ignite a firestorm, and they both thought the improvement was clearly there, and worth doing.  It's $99 to have Mark do it.  That is not a huge investment, and I'm at the point of fine tuning my favorite headphones right now.  Just sent my D7000 to BTG audio to have a Q French Silk cable swapped in for the stock item, so that headphone will be DONE. 

I realize some guys think I'm crazy, but so what?  It's my headphone and if they come back improved, which I have no doubt they will if my experience with the D7000 is an example, I'll just have a better than stock TH900, which also has a Q French Silk cable that was put on by BTG when Greed owned this pair. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #6,395 of 18,761
This thread concerns th900 which I find no sloppy bass or hot treble. The th900 sounds great to me as it is, so I'm waiting for someone that has upgraded those and make a judgement call on the upgrade.

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #6,396 of 18,761
i think th900 can be easily driver  with many amps but not completely enough.i can always hear more sibilances from th900 than others. so the perfect headphone amp for th900 will get a balance point of that.

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #6,397 of 18,761
This thread concerns th900 which I find no sloppy bass or hot treble. The th900 sounds great to me as it is, so I'm waiting for someone that has upgraded those and make a judgement call on the upgrade.

th900 definitely doesn't have sloppy bass.

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #6,399 of 18,761
Will be taking delivery of TH-900 and a Chord Hugo on Thursday morning. Hoping the Hugo is up to the task without the need of an additional amp.

It is up to the task. But with the tu-05, at least, it gets just that much better. I would surmise other high-end amps might give you just that much more as well. But we are talking diminishing returns. Congrats on both an awesome set of cans and an awesome dac/amp. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6,400 of 18,761
It is up to the task. But with the tu-05, at least, it gets just that much better. I would surmise other high-end amps might give you just that much more as well. But we are talking diminishing returns. Congrats on both an awesome set of cans and an awesome dac/amp. 

I read a post a few days ago by someone who owns both the Hugo and the TU-05 and he preferred the Hugo's amp to the Analog Paper thing. I'll see how it goes. Hopefully I won't feel the need to purchase a full-sized amp. My wallet is starting to feel the strain.

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #6,402 of 18,761
I read a post a few days ago by someone who owns both the Hugo and the TU-05 and he preferred the Hugo's amp to the Analog Paper thing. I'll see how it goes. Hopefully I won't feel the need to purchase a full-sized amp. My wallet is starting to feel the strain.

I think it is all subjective. According to my ears, with the tu-05 in the mix, there is slightly more bass and treble extension when compared to the Hugo alone. That might not be worth the price of an amp for many, but for me, it is worth it. Having said that, I am talking 5-10% difference, at the most.

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #6,403 of 18,761
I think it is all subjective. According to my ears, with the tu-05 in the mix, there is slightly more bass and treble extension when compared to the Hugo alone. That might not be worth the price of an amp for many, but for me, it is worth it. Having said that, I am talking 5-10% difference, at the most.

I might have purchased the tu-05 already if it weren't for the 5 month lead time. I've read plenty about that amp's synergy with the TH-900 but I'm too impatient to wait that long :)

Those things look beautiful and really, really impractical :)

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #6,405 of 18,761
  Stupid subjective question of the day:  Is the TH900 "less fun" than the D7000?

Thanks.

I have them both and I'd call them almost clones of each other.  Both are hella fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back