Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 14, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #6,316 of 18,737

Very good review comparing the V200 and Soloist paired with the 900s. Spoiler the Soloist is hands down the winner but that's just one guys opinion.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653932/item-audio-burson-soloist-fostex-th-900

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #6,317 of 18,737
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #6,319 of 18,737
I thought the Soloist was outstanding with the TH-600. I'm still unsure about which amp I'm going to buy for the TH-900 once they arrive.

That Burson Conductor in your sig may fit the bill.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #6,321 of 18,737
  I must say the TH-900 can handle tons of power with zero distortion at high volumes. Im pleasantly surprised as it is only a 25ohm headphones. My Essence One amp is very powerful and plays my 600ohm T1 very easily at only 12 oclock volume settings its almost too loud for me. The lower impedance TH-900 handles it like a champ.

Yes I agree, the TH900s and Essence One Muses is an amazing pairing, I miss it dearly, I still haven't found anything better. However the imbalance problem with some E1s is why I no longer own it anymore

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #6,322 of 18,737
Lawton Angle Pads
Quality:
I installed my Lawton Angle pads last night. I haven't measured but definitely more thick then stock but not to the degree of LCD pads. Quality is great, no fostex protein leather but still very nice and comfortable. 
Sounds: 
The increased thickness of the pads pushes your ears further away from the drivers and possibly at a slightly different angle then the stock pads. The result of this definitely changes the sound signature not dramatically but there is a noticeable difference. 

Pros: Increased soundstage
Pros or Cons: Ok, this is where it gets interesting. Because of the increased distance between the ears and drivers I feel like the bass and treble is brought down just a fraction. I want to say almost a more neutral sound where sometimes the 900s can the v shape
Cons: It feels like everything is a few rows back compared to the stock pads. I've found this reduces the intimacy I really enjoy with the 900s. Drums don't hit as hard, the impact has toned down. 

Overall I'm not disappointed nor blown away. I will continue to listen with the Angle pads for a little while longer but once my Burson Soloist arrives I'm almost positive I will go back to the stock pads. 

For anyone that things the treble is a little too much or wants to tame the bass a tad these are definitely worth checking out.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #6,323 of 18,737
If anyone is interested in a flawless/mint pair of TH-900 from Moon Audio for a fantastic price, holler! 
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #6,324 of 18,737
Lawton Angle Pads
Quality:
I installed my Lawton Angle pads last night. I haven't measured but definitely more thick then stock but not to the degree of LCD pads. Quality is great, no fostex protein leather but still very nice and comfortable. 
Sounds: 
The increased thickness of the pads pushes your ears further away from the drivers and possibly at a slightly different angle then the stock pads. The result of this definitely changes the sound signature not dramatically but there is a noticeable difference. 

Pros: Increased soundstage
Pros or Cons: Ok, this is where it gets interesting. Because of the increased distance between the ears and drivers I feel like the bass and treble is brought down just a fraction. I want to say almost a more neutral sound where sometimes the 900s can the v shape
Cons: It feels like everything is a few rows back compared to the stock pads. I've found this reduces the intimacy I really enjoy with the 900s. Drums don't hit as hard, the impact has toned down. 

Overall I'm not disappointed nor blown away. I will continue to listen with the Angle pads for a little while longer but once my Burson Soloist arrives I'm almost positive I will go back to the stock pads. 

For anyone that things the treble is a little too much or wants to tame the bass a tad these are definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the info on the angle pads for the TH900.

Do you know or does anyone reading this know if they are the same angle pads as Lawton sells for the D7000, which I have on my D7000. I ask because the hole opening on the stock Fostex pads is considerably larger than the angle pads. May be worth staying with stock TH900 pads.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #6,325 of 18,737

That's been sold. Should have kept hold of it.

Sorry to hear that.  Regardless, congrats on a great hp purchase. 

Keep researching your other amping / dac options ... the journey is half the fun.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #6,326 of 18,737

The TH 900 does not sound good out of an OTL amp, I have tried 2 - Btlhd Crack & DV 336. I am guessing this is because OTL amps are better suited for high impedance headphones. Also (this is pure speculation on my part) I am not sure the V200 will be a amazing match for the TH 900. Reason being , in my experience the TH 900 sounds best on amps / tubes which are neutral in bass (as the TH 900 is quite bassy). If you pair it with an amp with has good bass (like V200), then the bass gets a bit too much. Again this is just pure speculation on my part based on my experience with TH 900 , I have never heard it with the V200.

I would recommend :
If you want to go tube then get a Transformer coupled amp like the Woo WA6
Demo the TH 900 on the V200 if you can, maybe I am wrong & it may have good synergy.

+1

Th900 doesn't sound good on my wa2 (OTL)
I actually did try my th900 with v200 and found the dynamics too dramatic for my taste, get it if you like accentuated U shape signature (U shaped headphone and U shaped amp)

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #6,327 of 18,737
  +1

Th900 doesn't sound good on my wa2 (OTL)
I actually did try my th900 with v200 and found the dynamics too dramatic for my taste, get it if you like accentuated U shape signature (U shaped headphone and U shaped amp)

OTL amps wouldn't be great for the TH900. I think the TH900 is one of, if not my favorite dynamic headphone to date, but its high sensitivity coupled with very low impedance requires an amp with a very low output impedance. Something like 3 ohms or less. I've seen the WA2 measured as high as 75 ohms at the output. The TH900 is just not meant for the WA2. The WA2 is best while driving much higher impedance phones. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #6,329 of 18,737

OTL amps wouldn't be great for the TH900. I think the TH900 is one of, if not my favorite dynamic headphone to date, but its high sensitivity coupled with very low impedance requires an amp with a very low output impedance. Something like 3 ohms or less. I've seen the WA2 measured as high as 75 ohms at the output. The TH900 is just not meant for the WA2. The WA2 is best while driving much higher impedance phones. 

Yea, th900 my favorite headphone too, i like it more than my T1
Didn't realize i love the th900 that much until I got my luxman p1u.
Seriously thinking about selling my wa2 and T1

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #6,330 of 18,737
  Yea, th900 my favorite headphone too, i like it more than my T1
Didn't realize i love the th900 that much until I got my luxman p1u.
Seriously thinking about selling my wa2 and T1

If the TH900 ticks all your boxes, I don't see a reason to keep them. While I like and certainly appreciate my HD800, there's almost never an occasion where I would prefer it over the TH900, for my tastes. Unfortunately I must sell the TH900 and HD800, but I will sorely miss the TH900, those were my boys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back