Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #6,121 of 18,761

British retailer wrote to me :

"Hello they have been unavailable for a few months. There is a new European version due with us around the end of January."

Same from a large German retailer about a new HE6 or a successor…

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #6,123 of 18,761
May I suggest that we try to make a [COLOR=FF0000]List of the High-end AMPS  that pair well with the TH-900:[/COLOR]
Here are Some very High-End AMPS that I know to pair very well with the TH-900 : 
  • Bakoon HPA-21,  
  • EAR HP4,  
  • ED Zana Deux, 
  • ED Balancing Act, 

and… my beloved Analog Square paper TU-05 portable tube Amp :)  Incredible synergy with my TH-900 (rewired balanced)!

[COLOR=FF0000]-->  Do you have other recommendations  to add to the list please ?[/COLOR]

And… also a list of those which do not pair well with the TH-900 :

At least I know those 2 that I have myself:  
  • The Centrance HiFi-M8 Lx (for some obscure reasons I really don't like the combo Hifi-M8 + TH-900 ??)  
  • The  RWA Bellina (too much gain= HISS. Especialy from the Balanced output)
  • RAy Samuel Emmeline Dark Star : Too powerful for the TH-900 = HISS.  It's been designed for "hard to drive" headphone.
Thanks for kicking this off. I am currently deciding which amp to get for my TH900's (and possibly HD800's later on). Currently I am thinking the DNA Stratus, if anyone can offer a comparison with any amps on the list above, including the GS-X Mk2 I would greatly appreciate it.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #6,124 of 18,761
Jan 15, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #6,125 of 18,761
Jan 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #6,126 of 18,761
Just a quick post but I just had to let you know that I am simply loving my TH900s! I returned the Signature Pros for these and I could not be happier. Sound fab with AK120 and Meier Quickstep. Now my sights are set on the Chord Hugo. Man, I love this. Never enjoyed music so much in my life. I have lost a lot of interest in my home setup. Portable hifi has come a heck of a long way in the last few years. I listen at every possible opportunity (and I know all you guys do too!).
Thanks for all your posts. It's great to know there are other real music lovers out there (and that's what it's all about, after all).
Happy listening...

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #6,128 of 18,761
  Would the trilogy 933 be a good head amp for these, without obscuring the details, as i like detail retrieval?

You should check the "amp recs for TH900" thread. Link is just a couple of posts above.

Trilogy 933 related post from that thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619974/amp-recommendations-for-fostex-th900/45#post_9773271

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #6,129 of 18,761
broke out the th900 after a couple of weeks lay off. wow! blown me away tonight and the bass is killer.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #6,132 of 18,761
it still sounds a bit hard to me which makes it more fatiguing than my other cans. but i'm reluctant to move it on coz i know that i'd miss it.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #6,133 of 18,761
New Head-Fi'er here.  Going back and forth on what to do.

Been reading through this thread the last couple of days, up to page 350 now.  Been looking for reasons NOT to buy the TH900 because in order to buy them I have to sell of some other non-headphone related collectibles.  Haven't found any reasons yet though
biggrin.gif

I'm only an audiophile in spirit, not in practice mainly due to the cost of the hobby.  I have been surviving just fine with nothing but some Klipsch S4i IEMs for privacy while using desktop speakers for the rest of my music listening.  For at least a decade though I have dreamed of owning a truly GREAT set of over hear headphones

Finally decided to jump into the game recently without much knowledge.  Tried to stick to a lower budget and started with Sennheiser Hd598's.  While I loved the sound and spaciousness of my first open-backed headphones, the non-existent sub-bass was a dealbreaker.  They had no balls.

So I decided to take a step up while still on a tight budget.  Did a lot of Head Fi research and settled on the HE-400 with the Magni/Modi combo.  First off, I will say that I hated the M&M combo.  Much preferred using the Magni alone with my standalone Aiwa dual CD burner from the 90's which I'm sure is garbage by audiophile standards but for someone without a trained ear is perfectly fine.  Regardless of my M&M feelings, the HE-400 themselves sounded great to me...except once again for the lack of sub-bass.  It wasn't completely missing, but it was missing just enough to disappoint me and send them back (tried velour pads and cable upgrade to no avail).  On albums like the Haxan Cloak's "Excavation" and Tim Hecker's "Virgin" there are prominent moments of sub-bass critical to the full enjoyment, and without that compressed feeling on my head I just knew that I would reach for my IEM's most of the time out of convenience and the added feel of the bass in my head.

So then I realized that maybe I'm not an actual audiophile and I'm more of a "classy basshead."  The TH-900 immediately jumped onto my Amazon wishlist, but alas it was just a wish for now.  So I decided to go with something a little closer to entry level and see if it was good enough.  Went with the Denon D600 Music Maniac.  Was immediately impressed by the bass response on the Haxan Cloak album and temporarily thought that this is what I was looking for.  Unfortunately, they didn't suit at least half of the albums I played them on.  They sounded muffled and bloated.  No sparkle, crappy clarity, and obvious spikes at certain frequency ranges that left some vocals sounding uneven.  So I sent back my 3rd choice and gave up on my dream.

Or did I.......I am really really tempted to get the TH-900 despite my budget limitations.  But over the last month of experimenting I have learned that I can not trust reviews and descriptions of the sound, it is far too subjective.  If I do get them, I absolutely will not be able to get an amp that costs more than the Asgard 2.  That is bar none the top of my total budget allowance.  I did not like the sound signature on the D600's and although the TH-900 seems to address all of my concerns based on what I have read, I just don't know if I can trust reviews anymore.

Decisions, decisions.  Tired of losing money on shipping and returns.  /End rant.......review to come in the future.....???????????

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #6,134 of 18,761
  New Head-Fi'er here.  Going back and forth on what to do.

Been reading through this thread the last couple of days, up to page 350 now.  Been looking for reasons NOT to buy the TH900 because in order to buy them I have to sell of some other non-headphone related collectibles.  Haven't found any reasons yet though
biggrin.gif

I'm only an audiophile in spirit, not in practice mainly due to the cost of the hobby.  I have been surviving just fine with nothing but some Klipsch S4i IEMs for privacy while using desktop speakers for the rest of my music listening.  For at least a decade though I have dreamed of owning a truly GREAT set of over hear headphones

Finally decided to jump into the game recently without much knowledge.  Tried to stick to a lower budget and started with Sennheiser Hd598's.  While I loved the sound and spaciousness of my first open-backed headphones, the non-existent sub-bass was a dealbreaker.  They had no balls.

So I decided to take a step up while still on a tight budget.  Did a lot of Head Fi research and settled on the HE-400 with the Magni/Modi combo.  First off, I will say that I hated the M&M combo.  Much preferred using the Magni alone with my standalone Aiwa dual CD burner from the 90's which I'm sure is garbage by audiophile standards but for someone without a trained ear is perfectly fine.  Regardless of my M&M feelings, the HE-400 themselves sounded great to me...except once again for the lack of sub-bass.  It wasn't completely missing, but it was missing just enough to disappoint me and send them back (tried velour pads and cable upgrade to no avail).  On albums like the Haxan Cloak's "Excavation" and Tim Hecker's "Virgin" there are prominent moments of sub-bass critical to the full enjoyment, and without that compressed feeling on my head I just knew that I would reach for my IEM's most of the time out of convenience and the added feel of the bass in my head.

So then I realized that maybe I'm not an actual audiophile and I'm more of a "classy basshead."  The TH-900 immediately jumped onto my Amazon wishlist, but alas it was just a wish for now.  So I decided to go with something a little closer to entry level and see if it was good enough.  Went with the Denon D600 Music Maniac.  Was immediately impressed by the bass response on the Haxan Cloak album and temporarily thought that this is what I was looking for.  Unfortunately, they didn't suit at least half of the albums I played them on.  They sounded muffled and bloated.  No sparkle, crappy clarity, and obvious spikes at certain frequency ranges that left some vocals sounding uneven.  So I sent back my 3rd choice and gave up on my dream.

Or did I.......I am really really tempted to get the TH-900 despite my budget limitations.  But over the last month of experimenting I have learned that I can not trust reviews and descriptions of the sound, it is far too subjective.  If I do get them, I absolutely will not be able to get an amp that costs more than the Asgard 2.  That is bar none the top of my total budget allowance.  I did not like the sound signature on the D600's and although the TH-900 seems to address all of my concerns based on what I have read, I just don't know if I can trust reviews anymore.

Decisions, decisions.  Tired of losing money on shipping and returns.  /End rant.......review to come in the future.....???????????

If I were you, I would try out the TH600 first to see if you enjoy the sound signature.  You can wait for it to pop up used and if you do not enjoy it, sell it away without a loss.  Who knows, you may end up completely thrilled with them and save some money at the same time.  Or you will probably just love them and then pine for the TH900. LOL

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #6,135 of 18,761
Yeah, the problem I have with the TH600 is if I am mildlly disappointed I would just send them back and get the 900 anyway, and if I love them and get a taste of hi-fi I would probably just start lusting for the 900 yet again. Trying to avoid that middle ground haha.

The best thing that could happen would be I got the 600 and absolutely was not impressed...then my lust would disappear and I could go back to being content with mid-grade IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back