Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #11,987 of 18,761
Yea... I think a distinction between "subjective preference" and "technical ability" needs to be made here. I don't think anyone implied that everyone in this whole world subjectively prefers the TH-900 to the TH-X00. Some people may subjectively prefer the TH-X00 over the TH-900 due to its different sound signature, and I don't think anybody objects to that. But when we're talking about "technical ability", I don't think there's any ambiguity about which one is better in that realm. 

i don't share your conclusion. it's early days and i'll watch with interest as more comparative impressions (ideally from folks who can take a more impartial approach) and the objective measurements come in. i'd like to be able to hear the thx00 for myself but that looks unlikely.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #11,988 of 18,761
i don't share your conclusion. it's early days and i'll watch with interest as more comparative impressions (ideally from folks who can take a more impartial approach) and the objective measurements come in. i'd like to be able to hear the thx00 for myself but that looks unlikely.

What objective measurement/number would measure something like the soundstage dimensions and/or imaging capabilities of one headphone vs another? I understand measurements such as frequency response and distortion, but how about soundstage?

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #11,989 of 18,761
So you think that the $100 phones are technically as competent as the $300-400 headphones? That's what this suggests.

Price is not any indictor of performance in headphones, really?

in response to your first point, no, that's not what i'm suggesting.

in response to your second point, yes, really. blind testing has debunked that audiophile myth repeatedly.

Yea... just because diminishing returns exists doesn't mean differences in technical performance in different price points don't exist either. 

i'm not suggesting that they don't. what i am saying is that price doesn't determine those differences in performance and it's erroneous to think that it does.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #11,990 of 18,761
What objective measurement/number would measure something like the soundstage dimensions and/or imaging capabilities of one headphone vs another? I understand measurements such as frequency response and distortion, but how about soundstage?

there aren't any to my knowledge, tho a v-shaped fr generally corresponds to a more spacious presentation. but as i've already said, objective measurements and subjective impressions both have a valid role to play in our evaluation of headphones. i regard them as complementary rather than mutually exclusive.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #11,991 of 18,761
in response to your first point, no, that's not what i'm suggesting.

in response to your second point, yes, really. blind testing has debunked that audiophile myth repeatedly.
i'm not suggesting that they don't. what i am saying is that price doesn't determine those differences in performance and it's erroneous to think that it does.

Well there is an obvious different in Z7 vs th900 that I can bet my money on A/B blind test for gold

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #11,993 of 18,761
19 for me is the bass cut off. cant imagine what 4 sounds/feels like

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #11,995 of 18,761
The TH-900's are made in Japan. Where are the TH-X00's made?

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #11,997 of 18,761
Generally speaking, the th900s are considered a very competitive headphone at thier (street) price point, right? If it is, then that means that the urushi laquer and headphone stand don't add as much to the price as you would think. (Actually, i think the street price of the th900s is essentally the price without the stand/laquer).

It's only logical to assume that something at half the price wouldn't technically best the th900 (that would mean that it would be competitive with other headphones in the >1000$ catagory, even if it itself was priced >1000$).

I don't own either headphones, but this is just logical thinking and i think people get a bit upset over this because it implies that the th900 is actually only worth around 500$. Which i think we can all agree that it is worth more.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #11,998 of 18,761
i think you're assuming a lot there tbh. and the "street price" would vary depending on which country you're in anyways.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #11,999 of 18,761
Generally speaking, the th900s are considered a very competitive headphone at thier (street) price point, right? If it is, then that means that the urushi laquer and headphone stand don't add as much to the price as you would think. (Actually, i think the street price of the th900s is essentally the price without the stand/laquer).

It's only logical to assume that something at half the price wouldn't technically best the th900 (that would mean that it would be competitive with other headphones in the >1000$ catagory, even if it itself was priced >1000$).

I don't own either headphones, but this is just logical thinking and i think people get a bit upset over this because it implies that the th900 is actually only worth around 500$. Which i think we can all agree that it is worth more.

Keep in mind sloomingbla that at their intro in mid / late 2012 price was firm at $2300 (US funds).

I recall that at introduction you needed to pledge your first born child for the honor just to hold a pair.  Much speculation was bantered about at the time that the TH-900 was going to be a Japanese (available) only headphone. 

You had to know someone to secure a pair ......the Honk Kong market as well as the Japanese (obviously) market gobbled up several of the first batches.

It was'nt actually until probably mid 2013 that prices leveled for a while at $1800 - $1900.

Yes they offer a great value when you consider the price / performance factor ..... especially by todays standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back