Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #11,973 of 18,761
The other thing we all need to keep in mind is price...

TH900 new is more than double the cost. Some people don't have to worry about that, but others do. You will obviously get a reduction in performance with a reduction in price, common sense.

You wouldn't buy a $25,000 car and expect it to drive like a $50,000 car. Nor can you buy a $400 headphone and expect it to be on the same level as a $1000 headphone. 

Same with any brand - HD700 doesn't match the HD800, right? TH600 and TH900? Similar concept. This is something we all know but I think can get lost and forgotten in the comparisons when strictly comparing sound. You're talking about a much cheaper product.

More options is better for us consumers. You can start with something like the THx00 and if you're intrigued and want to go further, you can eventually move up if finances permit. You've also got people moving in the opposite direction. You've got a great accessible option for many in the THx00, that like others have said, will only further stimulate interest in the Fostex brand.

price being indicative of performance is a common misconception that is perpetuated in discussions about audio gear generally and the high-end in particular. with regard to the thx00 and th900, it's likely that the cosmetic differences between them (production costs associated with the ear cups, termination plug, the inclusion of a headphone stand and even the packaging) has determined their respective price points rather than actual performance.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #11,974 of 18,761
price being indicative of performance is a common misconception that is perpetuated in discussions about audio gear generally and the high-end in particular. with regard to the thx00 and th900, it's likely that the cosmetic differences between them (production costs associated with the ear cups, termination plug, the inclusion of a headphone stand and even the packaging) has determined their respective price points rather than actual performance.

You are talking about the Msrp of $2,100....it is only $1200 now. So it is 3 times the price of x00. Ofcourse it sounds better. Beside, it has 50% stronger magnets

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #11,975 of 18,761
Yea... I thought people, who have compared the TH-X00 and TH-900 side-by-side, have made it clear that technically speaking (in terms of separation, resolution, etc., not subjective sound signature) the TH-900 is better? So it's more than likely just cosmetic differences... 

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #11,976 of 18,761
subjective preferences are just that. these cans are tuned differently and there are examples of folks who prefer the thx00's sound signature to the th900. if we want to compare them on technical performance then objective measures must be used. point is that price is not a measure of performance.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #11,977 of 18,761
subjective preferences are just that. these cans are tuned differently and there are examples of folks who prefer the thx00's sound signature to the th900. if we want to compare them on technical performance then objective measures must be used. point is that price is not a measure of performance.

People suspect the TH-X00 to use the same drivers as the TH600. Compare the THD graphs between the TH600 and TH900 and there's your objective measurements.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #11,978 of 18,761
It doesn't always take objective measurements to know which one is technically superior. Sometimes it's pretty obvious, like when it comes to things like resolution. I mean... do people really need objective measurements to know that the HD-800 is technically superior to the HD-700?

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #11,979 of 18,761
@sonido - well supposition is just that too. :wink: i'm hoping that tyll hertsen will measure the thx00.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #11,980 of 18,761
It doesn't always take objective measurements to know which one is technically superior. Sometimes it's pretty obvious, like when it comes to things like resolution. I mean... do people really need objective measurements to know that the HD-800 is technically superior to the HD-700?

objective measurements and subjective impressions both have roles to play in our evaluation of audio gear, including headphones but that's beside the point.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #11,981 of 18,761
You are talking about the Msrp of $2,100....it is only $1200 now. So it is 3 times the price of x00. Ofcourse it sounds better. Beside, it has 50% stronger magnets

and that's my point - msrp has little to do with performance. how do you know that the th900 sounds "better" to you when you haven't heard the thx00? you had your chance tho. :wink:

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #11,982 of 18,761
and that's my point - msrp has little to do with actual performance. and how do you know that the th900 sounds " better" to you when you haven't heard the thx00? you had your chance tho.
wink.gif

But in a *general* sense, the price you pay does have very much to do with performance. This is why it commands a higher price... Why would someone spend more on an inferior product? How would it sell? (exclude beats!)

There are general tiers of headphones. Most of the low costing options <100 simply will not match mid tier headphones in sound quality. Once you spend 300-400, you get a pretty substantial bump in sound quality compared to the really cheap headphones. Tons of options in that category that really improve upon the <100 phones.

Then, the high end of things really refine things out further. I agree with you that what sound signature is preferred to each is personal, but the actual sound quality *generally* increases as you spend more. There are exceptions to this rule and you can call them really good buys.

I don't think the msrp matters as much as the street price. Some headphones are released with way too high msrp, and they quickly fall down in price to match market demand.

I agree with you that finding your preferred sound signature is extremely important (more so than what you spend), which makes hearing the different brands a fun and exciting experience.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #11,983 of 18,761
Yea... I think a distinction between "subjective preference" and "technical ability" needs to be made here. I don't think anyone implied that everyone in this whole world subjectively prefers the TH-900 to the TH-X00. Some people may subjectively prefer the TH-X00 over the TH-900 due to its different sound signature, and I don't think anybody objects to that. But when we're talking about "technical ability", I don't think there's any ambiguity about which one is better in that realm. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #11,984 of 18,761
But in a *general* sense, the price you pay does have very much to do with performance. This is why it commands a higher price... Why would someone spend more on an inferior product? How would it sell? (exclude beats!)

There are general tiers of headphones. Most of the low costing options <100 simply will not match mid tier headphones in sound quality. Once you spend 300-400, you get a pretty substantial bump in sound quality compared to the really cheap headphones. Tons of options in that category that really improve upon the <100 phones.

I don't think the msrp matters as much as the street price. Some headphones are released with way too high msrp, and they quickly fall down in price to match market demand.

Then, the high end of things really refine things out further. I agree with you that what sound signature is preferred to each is personal, but the actual sound quality *generally* increases as you spend more. There are exceptions to this rule and you can call them really good buys.

You can certainly get enjoyable sound without spending big money, there are so many great headphones and spending the big bucks is not going to be the ultimate goal nor is it required to find something you'd really like.

Finding your preferred sound signature is extremely important, which makes hearing the different brands a fun and exciting journey.

i don't agree that price is any indicator of performance in the audio realm and in the high-end in particular, where diminishing returns are acknowledged. this topic has been debated in detail and at length countless times here and at other hi fi fora across the interwebs. i really don't want to add to it beyond saying that the th900 is a deluxe headphone for the high-end market and priced accordingly.. the thx00 was targeting a different market segment and was priced accordingly.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #11,985 of 18,761
i don't agree that price is any indicator of performance in the audio realm and in the high-end in particular, where diminishing returns are acknowledged. this topic has been debated in detail and at length countless times here and at other hi fi fora across the interwebs. i really don't want to add to it beyond saying that the th900 is a deluxe headphone for the high-end market and priced accordingly.. the thx00 was targeting a different market segment and was priced accordingly.

So you think that the $100 phones are technically as competent as the $300-400 headphones? That's what this suggests.

Price is not any indictor of performance in headphones, really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back