Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #11,941 of 18,765
Here's my review of the TH-X00 compared to these I posted on the other thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review/2385#post_12152267

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #11,942 of 18,765
I don't own a th900 but thought i could pitch in on the bassy song department?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5DXYrYP80

The song isnt my taste personally, but i haven't heard more undistorted bass than there is in this.

This was good :).
Lot of 30-50 Hz boom. With my modded TH900 the bass power is immense, almost as physical as through my speakers.
Out of curiosity I made a sweep test using this track, and compared it with my 007 Mk1 as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukQ6OSs3dWo
The first sample I have heard with both the 007 and the TH900 was 10 Hz (likely because the harmonics). It was much more feeble with the 007 though.
15 and 20 Hz is clearly strong and already at full play with the TH900, while the 007 is still feeble (but already has smoother and more textured tonality).
30 Hz is strong with both, the 007 again sound more pleasant, the TH900 is brutally physical.
40-60 Hz: the 007 has a slight boom, the (modded) TH900 seems more linear but also has some boom. 
There is less difference with speakers, since the bones participate more in the transmission of sound with speakers (therefore sub-30 Hz is perceived stronger with speakers).
The rest is linear with both.

This track might be at its best with the Abyss or one of the Audeze headphones, or the HE6, but it looks like the (modded) TH900 has extraordinary (extended and rather linear) bass response for a headphone. With music, the 007 bass is more resolving, smoother and is more realistic with instruments, but the TH900 is still the power king with bass-heavy material. Quite an experience.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #11,943 of 18,765
I agree that th900 is superb in bass, also trebles. I don't feel like it need any mods though ? What is your mods ? The only thing I did was solid pure silver and removable jacks. To me, it is superior in all account, and is the first one that is so clean and so organic that I have heard and need no mods

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #11,944 of 18,765
As a TH900 owner I'm kind of relieved to hear that the TH900 is obviously superior....however as the soon to be owner of the THX00.....I wanted something different to bring to done styles of music but with a house sound I knew I'd like, still isolating enough for work and attractive....it it's all these things.....but my only worry is that it will sound too alike and just a poorer version. I expected it to be a dip in quality but I did want those mids to be more up front to create a reason to have both.....fingers crossed!

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #11,945 of 18,765
As a TH900 owner I'm kind of relieved to hear that the TH900 is obviously superior....however as the soon to be owner of the THX00.....I wanted something different to bring to done styles of music but with a house sound I knew I'd like, still isolating enough for work and attractive....it it's all these things.....but my only worry is that it will sound too alike and just a poorer version. I expected it to be a dip in quality but I did want those mids to be more up front to create a reason to have both.....fingers crossed!

You have x00 ? It will be lesser quality than th900. The best to get more vocal or mid out of your fostex is to change the foam rings around the drivers. Thinner density will flat out bass and trebles more, hence mid will be surfaced further. I tried it, you can also do it on 900 which is easily removable. Though I prefer stock sound, perfect balances for my taste....the splash of hit-hat from left corner to right corner, the double tap on cymbals with different authority...the physical slams of the bass....the transparency man....it is like inside a live performance with engineered acoustic and live sound tuning.

This is not simple matter of "hear what the artist intended" but is with "also feel the inner physical fidelity of each instruments and hits". The next realm of "realism+physicalism" in music and sound "reproductions"...I can not leave the th900 alone lol.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #11,946 of 18,765

They are different enough so that you can enjoy both... more like owning a D7000 and a TH900 than a TH900 and an inferior TH900. I think you will be pleased with them and enjoy the shift to more midrange and a smoother treble.

Regardless, they're a great value and in the case you didn't like them you'd surely find someone quickly who would.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #11,947 of 18,765
The other thing we all need to keep in mind is price...

TH900 new is more than double the cost. Some people don't have to worry about that, but others do. You will obviously get a reduction in performance with a reduction in price, common sense.

You wouldn't buy a $25,000 car and expect it to drive like a $50,000 car. Nor can you buy a $400 headphone and expect it to be on the same level as a $1000 headphone. 

Same with any brand - HD700 doesn't match the HD800, right? TH600 and TH900? Similar concept. This is something we all know but I think can get lost and forgotten in the comparisons when strictly comparing sound. You're talking about a much cheaper product.

More options is better for us consumers. You can start with something like the THx00 and if you're intrigued and want to go further, you can eventually move up if finances permit. You've also got people moving in the opposite direction. You've got a great accessible option for many in the THx00, that like others have said, will only further stimulate interest in the Fostex brand.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #11,948 of 18,765
The other thing we all need to keep in mind is price...

TH900 new is more than double the cost. Some people don't have to worry about that, but others do. You will obviously get a reduction in performance with a reduction in price, common sense.

You wouldn't buy a $25,000 car and expect it to drive like a $50,000 car. Nor can you buy a $400 headphone and expect it to be on the same level as a $1000 headphone. 

Same with any brand - HD700 doesn't match the HD800, right? TH600 and TH900? Similar concept. This is something we all know but I think can get lost and forgotten in the comparisons when strictly comparing sound. You're talking about a much cheaper product.

More options is better for us consumers. You can start with something like the THx00 and if you're intrigued and want to go further, you can eventually move up if finances permit. You've got a great accessible option for many in the THx00, that like others have said, will only further stimulate interest in the Fostex brand.

True enough, and fair. I had a hard time deciding between 900 - x00...lucky me lol

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #11,949 of 18,765
I agree that th900 is superb in bass, also trebles. I don't feel like it need any mods though ? What is your mods ? The only thing I did was solid pure silver and removable jacks. To me, it is superior in all account, and is the first one that is so clean and so organic that I have heard and need no mods

The mod was mainly 3 things:
- replace the foam in the ear pads to custom (optimized) size of carbon foam pads,
- replace the dampers (the foam around the drivers) with given quality and density wool felt rings,
- partially apply the basic Lawton mod for taming the treble (only the dampers for the magnet were used). 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/763965/fostex-th900-mods

The effects: much better mids, more realistic and never obtrusive highs, more extended and cleaner bass, less cavernous sounding but similar size sound stage. It makes the TH900 sound in a different class, really, but you need to fiddle a lot with the tuning -- it is also a personalization. You can leave out the dampers change if you can't get the right wool felt, but the rest of the materials are easily obtainable.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #11,951 of 18,765
All thX00 owners - anyone tried switching the pads to TH900/600 pads?  I think it'd be interesting to hear the difference.

I can see why the pads affect the sound of "fostex" so much. Because the drivers breathe through the foam rings. X00 pad is larger in the inside diameter toward the back. It restrict air flows to the drivers somewhat, together with the angled design it brings down trebles. As you suggested, swapping x00 pads to th900 will achieve the same result, only better in transparency and micro dynamic details because 900 has stronger magnet. HM5 pads can be similar as well....th900 pads is a total exposure and pure tuning from fostex for this "stock sound" it is a unique kind that let the bass be so addictive, and trebles splashy ! I actually love the further out vocal, it drown my listening experiences into the music but enjoyable distant....and not having the singer shouting and spitting into my ears is kinda nice lol. 1st seat center row in the stage is a "VIP"

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #11,952 of 18,765
I can say the lawton dampening / tune up kit is a positive for th900 to my ears. 50$ including delivery, but i can see why folks might not want to mod the stock sound cause its stock, but im good with it.
atsmile.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #11,953 of 18,765
Well, the next thing will be the Lawton mods for the Massdrop version I guess. Change of cups, lead and dampening, still making it cheaper than the th900 as well. Isn't it annoying that a headphone at this price needs someone to mod it? Pity that Fostex don't seem to get the best out of it in the first place.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #11,954 of 18,765
Well, the next thing will be the Lawton mods for the Massdrop version I guess. Change of cups, lead and dampening, still making it cheaper than the th900 as well. Isn't it annoying that a headphone at this price needs someone to mod it? Pity that Fostex don't seem to get the best out of it in the first place.

I agree... They should have just made the treble smoother. It would have been the best headphone ever.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #11,955 of 18,765
Has any of you TH-900 owners tried the Beyer DT 770 Pro (250 ohm)? I wonder how the treble harshness that some of you seem to be annoyed about compares to the Beyer. I remember being a bit annoyed by it at the beginning with the Beyer, but after using it extensively for a year I have grown completely used to it, and find it very pleasant sounding. 

If I were to go from the DT 770 to the TH-900, would the Fostex be even brighter and more pronounced in the treble, or would it be a smooth transition for me as I'm already used to a somewhat bright treble headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back