Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 26, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #9,676 of 18,765

I know, but you can't use it when you are using software like BitPerfect. Which is kind of logical, aither you try to play true reproduction as it's recorded or you use eq.

I've had that internal battle with myself many a time and arrived with this conclusion - When I want to do analytical or critical listening, no EQ and choose the right headphone for the job. Bitperfect to the DAC, no other programs running. T1 for classics, rock, LCD2 for mid-rangy material and so on. When I just want to rock out, have fun with my music, EQ away baybeh!

Which is not to say I don't EQ sometimes to do serious listening, just that I forbid myself to get stuck in one frame of mind, which is a sure way to become disenchanted with what you have. 

Try Audirvana. It believe it will play files in their actual bitrate and you can engage the EQ too. Not 100% on this one, but I think it's able to do it. Someone chime in if I'm mistaken please. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #9,677 of 18,765

I've had that internal battle with myself many a time and arrived with this conclusion - When I want to do analytical or critical listening, no EQ and choose the right headphone for the job. Bitperfect to the DAC, no other programs running. T1 for classics, rock, LCD2 for mid-rangy material and so on. When I just want to rock out, have fun with my music, EQ away baybeh!

Which is not to say I don't EQ sometimes to do serious listening, just that I forbid myself to get stuck in one frame of mind, which is a sure way to become disenchanted with what you have. 

Try Audirvana. It believe it will play files in their actual bitrate and you can engage the EQ too. Not 100% on this one, but I think it's able to do it. Someone chime in if I'm mistaken please. 

Surely agree with you and I do find myself stuck a bit at the moment. The EQ in iTunes itself isn't all that great.

What I am looking for is a player (or rather plugin like the BitPerfect app is) that lests me play the music as it should be, as accrate as possible, byt has the option of applying some EQ as well. The developer is thining of adding that.
I know Audirvana and Amarra, had them both but they don't allow me (or allow it less with each new version) to play my music straight from iTunes. I want to keep using iTunes for selecting and sorting to my library, I still use the ancient iTunes method with the columns on top, don't care for cover art views etc...
I don't think the last Audirvana version I had about 6 months ago had EQ
I don't know much about the newer Amarra version though. Can this wan simply let you use your music from iTunes and run on top of it to let the sound pass through either bitperfect or with eq?
I see they have a separate EQ program called SQ+ as well now. does that work as a plugin for Amarra?

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #9,678 of 18,765
No experience with Amarra unfortunately. 

I use a more ancient way. Folders. Lots of them. I just drag and drop a folder when I want to listen to an album. Or queue up a playlist when I need one. lol! Talk about old school. I think when it comes to digital, I never outgrew WinAmp! (It really whips the llama's ass!)

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #9,679 of 18,765
  No experience with Amarra unfortunately. 

I use a more ancient way. Folders. Lots of them. I just drag and drop a folder when I want to listen to an album. Or queue up a playlist when I need one. lol! Talk about old school. I think when it comes to digital, I never outgrew WinAmp! (It really whips the llama's ass!)

LoL!

No, old school iTunes is ancient enough for me. I switch a lot between different music when I am listening and it lets me search and select anything I'd want to hear at that moment without really knowing what exactly I am looking for in a blink.
So I need something on top of iTunes that lets me choose quicly between bitperfect and EQ'ed.
Reading up a bit on Amarra and Audirvana again, it's been a while since I used both.
I'll send a message to Agentsim to see what's on the horizon for BP as well, that little plugin is about as good as it gets for playing bit perfect, maybe the EQ is in development.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #9,680 of 18,765
We have a brand new imac coming home next week... I've never been into computer audio, but I'm starting to get curious... Just packed my th900 in my trunk, taking them to work. Just need to buy and adapter today. I purchased a nice Sony adapter 3.5mm--> 1/4". Anyone have any suggestions for a nice 1/4-->3.5? Or does it not matter

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #9,681 of 18,765
Winamp wins all my eveything. You'll have to wipe it from existence for me to NOT use it. Hell, I still use the Bento skin.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #9,682 of 18,765
We have a brand new imac coming home next week... I've never been into computer audio, but I'm starting to get curious... Just packed my th900 in my trunk, taking them to work. Just need to buy and adapter today. I purchased a nice Sony adapter 3.5mm--> 1/4". Anyone have any suggestions for a nice 1/4-->3.5? Or does it not matter

You can make your own (DIY) or buy Grado.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #9,685 of 18,765
I think the Grado one looks better. I've owned one ever since I first owned the D7000. It only NOW has been retrieved from storage due to the TH-600 and TH-900.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #9,687 of 18,765
Whatever you do, don't buy a barrel type adapter (pictured below) that goes from 6.3mm to 3.5mm, as that will put a lot of stress on 3.5mm headphone jacks., unless you also buy a 3.5mm extension cable.

An extension cable should be used with it, or even better, a 3.5mm male/male cable, and just buy a 3.5mm coupler with it. That way you can use the 3.5mm cable for other purposes as well. Extension cables are less logical to me.

If that sounds like a lot, it is. That's just last resort.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #9,688 of 18,765
I think the Grado one looks better. I've owned one ever since I first owned the D7000. It only NOW has been retrieved from storage due to the TH-600 and TH-900.

Not only does it look better but it's less fragile as well. I had both.
Grado makes quality 3,5 and 6,3 mm extension cables as well at low prices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back