Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #8,192 of 18,761

The Questyle CAS192D DAC actually uses the Wolfson 8741 chip, looks like the only thing it offers above the Mousai is DSD but 3x the price. I happen to have the Questyle DAC, would love to hear a comparison when you get yours in.

And back on topic.

Cool! Presumably you like it? Really looking forward to getting mine.

Hmmm, maybe I should try them after all, they might replace my HD650.
Still, I find 700$ to be rather pricey for a a phone like that, looks rather plastic or isn't that the case?
I'll check who's selling, I hope he's not in the US as that would add import.
But as I just bought a new Dac and have a GS-X incoming, I'd like to force myself to sell the HP-A8 and Bakoon first. :wink:
In any case, the Sig Pro has cought my attention as a candidate for rock phone.

They are some kind of heavy-duty plastic, and extremely solid build quality. (Presumably the headband has metal underneath as you can bend it to adjust fit.) It also uses tempered glass and Ethiopian sheepskin leather (replacement pads are pretty expensive, actually). I'd say build quality (at least in durability) is actually much higher than the TH900... The design is just beefier at crucial points.

And hey, I don't mean to say they would be perfect for what you're looking for. But they might be worth a try. :wink:

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #8,193 of 18,761
Cool! Presumably you like it? Really looking forward to getting mine.

They are some kind of heavy-duty plastic, and extremely solid build quality. (Presumably the headband has metal underneath as you can bend it to adjust fit.) It also uses tempered glass and Ethiopian sheepskin leather (replacement pads are pretty expensive, actually). I'd say build quality (at least in durability) is actually much higher than the TH900... The design is just beefier at crucial points.

And hey, I don't mean to say they would be perfect for what you're looking for. But they might be worth a try. :wink:

will thy be good on older, harder rock varieties with lesser recording qulality?

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #8,195 of 18,761

Agreed ... sometimes you just have to reach for the top and this is one of those times.

Do yourself a favour.

will thy be good on older, harder rock varieties with lesser recording qulality?

LOL good question...if you listen to this dreadfully recorded example on the Sig Pro it is much more forgiving than the TH-900.  I primarily used the Boston song "Don't Look Back" to convey to another member the idea to not look back and shoot for the TH-900 rather than the 600.

I suppose it could be considered a double duty post in this case.
biggrin.gif
  So yes it is much more forgiving with poorly recorded, less than optimal older Rock recordings.
beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #8,198 of 18,761
@Gandah when you head my way next bring your HD650.
biggrin.gif

Mate I'm heading up your way for chrissy to see my folks in Esk, I can bring them with me if you want to pick'em up and send'em back after a week or two.  unfortunately it's just a splash and dash this time around, so as much as I want to check out your dp-1 I will have to spend as much time with my folks

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #8,199 of 18,761
Mate I'm heading up your way for chrissy to see my folks in Esk, I can bring them with me if you want to pick'em up and send'em back after a week or two.  unfortunately it's just a splash and dash this time around, so as much as I want to check out your dp-1 I will have to spend as much time with my folks
No worries, give me heads up when you can drop by in the future. :beerchug:

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #8,200 of 18,761

Goals: better midrange.
Effect: better midrange, clarity, resolution, sound stage, and to my surprise, bass... with the effect settable to variable degree by changing parameters.
Means: it's using active carbon foam in the ear pads, new felt dampers and new cup filling of specific size and source. 
Lawton: no, I am not using it any more. It is good as a standalone mod on the stock TH900, helping bass overhang, but not compatible to mix with my mods (spent a few weeks trying to do that).

Some elements of the mods have been published in this forum, but I will soon make a new thread about it once all elements are optimized and checked/tested with @Playitloud.

Sounds interesting. Did you try software/hardware equailization to reach the same goal?

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #8,201 of 18,761
  Sounds interesting. Did you try software/hardware equailization to reach the same goal?

Indeed the original goal was fixing tonality errors, which may be cured to some extent with equalization, at the expense of some (sometimes negligible) smear and distortion. However, the effect of the mods cannot be reached by equalization, reverberation etc. Sound stage, resolution, instrument realism cannot be genuinely improved by these. If I compare the stock TH900 (remember these mods are reversible) and the modded one, the difference is quite noticeable, to state it in a reserved way. I am quite happy the way it sounds now, we need to sort out/optimize (with @playitloud) one more dimension of a damping component, and check its consistency on both our headphones, but once it's ready I will post the summary, around the end of this month.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #8,202 of 18,761

LOL good question...if you listen to this dreadfully recorded example on the Sig Pro it is much more forgiving than the TH-900.  I primarily used the Boston song "Don't Look Back" to convey to another member the idea to not look back and shoot for the TH-900 rather than the 600.

I suppose it could be considered a double duty post in this case.
biggrin.gif
  So yes it is much more forgiving with poorly recorded, less than optimal older Rock recordings.
beerchug.gif

Sabbath's Paranoid would be another "fine" example. Cheers indeed!  
L3000.gif

Most of AC's records are pretty well reorded though, even '74 Jailbreak.
My all time favorites! Have a drink on me! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #8,203 of 18,761

Sabbath's Paranoid would be another "fine" example. Cheers indeed!  
L3000.gif

Most of AC's records are pretty well reorded though, even '74 Jailbreak.
My all time favorites! Have a drink on me! 
beerchug.gif

I will drink to that !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back