Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #8,176 of 18,761
  Really, lacking in detail..... sorry but I see it the other way around not by a little ether....

Firstly let me just say my TH900 have been well loved for over 2 years now, and it's been quite a struggle to find something to complement or even better them.  I've auditioned quite a few at meets, audio stores, and friends phones.  The HD800 was and still is at the top of my list, only for Classical, Folk, and Acoustic genres just to name a few.

However, few weeks ago hpz dropped by to audition some of his phones on my system, and brought the HD650s, and I'm sure glad he did.

I think they are the best bang for your buck around. As hard as it is to say I'm liking them more than my TH900 at this present time, maybe because they are new, but I'm pretty sure it's the detail and accuracy they bring.....

My perception of frequency response of TH900 vs HD650 :

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #8,181 of 18,761
I'm not so sure about that treble section of the HD600.....
wink.gif

Too much? Not enough?  Too high? Too low?

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #8,182 of 18,761

As I'm not a fan of Ultrasone and I'm looking for a top tier can I think I'll pas on those, especially since there are no shops to try HF gear around hear so I'd have to buy it in order to try it. But thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind, it isn't the first time I see the Sig Pros recommended and it seems to be rather different from the bling Ultrasones.

Hey there, Signature Pro owner here. A couple things I just wanted to address real quick.

1.) People who don't like Ultrasone in general like Sig Pros. At the Chi-Uni-Fi meet last Saturday the number one comment was, "Wow, I didn't think these would sound that good." The impressions page from that meet has similar feedback.

2.) They are top tier... with the right amplification. They're highly scalable. They sound good out of a smartphone; on my own setup, they sound better, but TH900 was a lot nicer; on a GS-X setup with a high-end DAC, the difference between the two are still there, but the Sig Pros aren't left in the dust anymore. I don't know why a 32-ohm pair of headphones would benefit this drastically from amping, but it definitely does. (Could also be the DAC... after Saturday I had to order a new one, lol.)

3.) MSRP is overpriced. Get a good deal. Someone is selling a pair on here for $700. I'd try them out, as I'm sure you could resell them at that price.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #8,183 of 18,761
Since we are tossing what ifs out there, lcd3, I don't listen to classic rock, almost every genre but, I love my th900 because of that.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #8,184 of 18,761
  Hey there, Signature Pro owner here. A couple things I just wanted to address real quick.

1.) People who don't like Ultrasone in general like Sig Pros. At the Chi-Uni-Fi meet last Saturday the number one comment was, "Wow, I didn't think these would sound that good." The impressions page from that meet has similar feedback.

2.) They are top tier... with the right amplification. They're highly scalable. They sound good out of a smartphone; on my own setup, they sound better, but TH900 was a lot nicer; on a GS-X setup with a high-end DAC, the difference between the two are still there, but the Sig Pros aren't left in the dust anymore. I don't know why a 32-ohm pair of headphones would benefit this drastically from amping, but it definitely does. (Could also be the DAC... after Saturday I had to order a new one, lol.)

3.) MSRP is overpriced. Get a good deal. Someone is selling a pair on here for $700. I'd try them out, as I'm sure you could resell them at that price.

What did you end up with?

And you know you still want the 900s 
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #8,185 of 18,761

What did you end up with?

And you know you still want the 900s 
wink.gif

I picked up a Mousai MSD192 from the classifieds. Seems to be a DAC-only version of the Questyle Q192, except it uses the Wolfson 8471 instead of the 8470, so it might even be better. Either way, found a couple really good reviews for the former and even more for the latter, so I'm excited. Upgrading from an Aune T1 with Amperex 7308 tube. I really got a steal on my Purity Audio KICAS, so I don't see myself upgrading source components for a good long while now. 
biggrin.gif
 (If I ever go balanced that will be the kicker.)

I think I can survive without the TH900s... I THINK so! Seriously, though, if it weren't for isolation, durability, and portability... I'm just spoiled on those fronts with my Sig Pros.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #8,186 of 18,761
  I picked up a Mousai MSD192 from the classifieds. Seems to be a DAC-only version of the Questyle Q192, except it uses the Wolfson 8471 instead of the 8470, so it might even be better. Either way, found a couple really good reviews for the former and even more for the latter, so I'm excited. Upgrading from an Aune T1 with Amperex 7308 tube. I really got a steal on my Purity Audio KICAS, so I don't see myself upgrading source components for a good long while now. 
biggrin.gif
 (If I ever go balanced that will be the kicker.)

I think I can survive without the TH900s... I THINK so! Seriously, though, if it weren't for isolation, durability, and portability... I'm just spoiled on those fronts with my Sig Pros.

The Questyle CAS192D DAC actually uses the Wolfson 8741 chip, looks like the only thing it offers above the Mousai is DSD but 3x the price. I happen to have the Questyle DAC, would love to hear a comparison when you get yours in.

And back on topic.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #8,187 of 18,761

Hmmm, maybe I should try them after all, they might replace my HD650.
Still, I find 700$ to be rather pricey for a a phone like that, looks rather plastic or isn't that the case?
I'll check who's selling, I hope he's not in the US as that would add import.
But as I just bought a new Dac and have a GS-X incoming, I'd like to force myself to sell the HP-A8 and Bakoon first. :wink:
In any case, the Sig Pro has cought my attention as a candidate for rock phone.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #8,189 of 18,761
Back of the napkin graphs FTW!!!!

I have to say, my HD650 put me off a bit at first being so dark and the clamping force....but it's been growing on me over the past month or so.  They're good value for money and I think either my getting accustomed to them and/or a bit of burn in has made me appreciate them more and more.  

biggrin.gif

HS

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #8,190 of 18,761
  Really, lacking in detail..... sorry but I see it the other way around not by a little ether....

Firstly let me just say my TH900 have been well loved for over 2 years now, and it's been quite a struggle to find something to complement or even better them.  I've auditioned quite a few at meets, audio stores, and friends phones.  The HD800 was and still is at the top of my list, only for Classical, Folk, and Acoustic genres just to name a few.

However, few weeks ago hpz dropped by to audition some of his phones on my system, and brought the HD650s, and I'm sure glad he did.

I think they are the best bang for your buck around. As hard as it is to say I'm liking them more than my TH900 at this present time, maybe because they are new, but I'm pretty sure it's the detail and accuracy they bring.....

Could be not so much lacking in detail rather than the 650 having the reputation for being a notoriously dark sounding headphone,  to the point where some actually preferred the 600 to it.

No doubt though that the 650 can still hold its own as mentioned, though earlier it was synonymous with the term coined "Sennheiser Veil" at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back