Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 11, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #8,146 of 18,765

Nope. I sold my double stands and bought single ones instead. They fit perfectly on those.
And I prefer the Woos to Sieving/Stax stands. Broader support for the headband and no pressure on the ear pads.

OK...thanks.  Then I'll save my $.

Agree on the Woo stands...very nice quality and I really like the broader support.  I've got my HD650's and my MDR-Z7 on there next to my Woo WA7 and Beresford Caiman MKII...happy happy.

HS

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #8,147 of 18,765
  I wonder what cans TH-900 owners use if they want to listen to hardrock, older metal, flower power (60ies-70ies) etc...

What closed dynamic phones do you who love the TH-900 prefer when listening to that kind of music.
I know, the L3000 would be ideal, but anything else comes to mind?

Imo the the TH-900 is not the ideal phone for these genres.

Have you heard the TH-900s? They rock with rock/hard rock/classic rock/prog rock, etc.... 

The L3000s are amongst the most over-rated headphones I've heard.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #8,149 of 18,765
  Have you heard the TH-900s? They rock with rock/hard rock/classic rock/prog rock, etc.... 

The L3000s are amongst the most over-rated headphones I've heard.

Got two pairs, so a fair chance I've heard them.
I owned the L3000 as well, and I don't find them overrated at all, they're the holy grail when it comes to hardrock. But that's the only thing they were really good at. Hence the price I want to give for a mint pair in my sig.
Imo the TH-900 is lacking in the mids area (a complaint I hear from many) and that's where most of the action is in hadrock. They are great for just about any other genre though.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #8,150 of 18,765

Got two pairs, so a fair chance I've heard them.
I owned the L3000 as well, and I don't find them overrated at all, they're the holy grail when it comes to hardrock. But that's the only thing they were really good at. Hence the price I want to give for a mint pair in my sig.
Imo the TH-900 is lacking in the mids area (a complaint I hear from many) and that's where most of the action is in hadrock. They are great for just about any other genre though.

Really? The honky mids didn't bother you on the L3000s? Just goes to show that everyone's preferences are different.

If you can live with open headphones, I'd recommend checking out Grados too...a great rock option.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #8,151 of 18,765
  I wonder what cans TH-900 owners use if they want to listen to hardrock, older metal, flower power (60ies-70ies) etc...

What closed dynamic phones do you who love the TH-900 prefer when listening to that kind of music.
I know, the L3000 would be ideal, but anything else comes to mind?

Imo the the TH-900 is not the ideal phone for these genres.

Personally I find the TH-900 works with rock nicely.  If you are considering another closed option that jives with rock you may want to give the Sig Pro a listen (not the DJ).

Other than that I'm at a loss to recommend a nice closed rock can.  As far as the L-3000 goes when I last heard it several years ago I found it to have the speed and dynamics that really gelled with rock nicely.  Its almost a "cult" headphone falling into the legendary category alongside the likes of the R-10, Qualia, and so on. 

Besides that the Connolly Green leather was super cool.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #8,152 of 18,765
I find rock is one of the weaker genres with the TH900. Metal is good, but I think the mids are a bit lacking for rock. I get the feeling that many of the rock tracks I have suffer from poor mastering and you need better presentation of mids to make the most of them.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #8,153 of 18,765
I find rock is one of the weaker genres with the TH900. Metal is good, but I think the mids are a bit lacking for rock. I get the feeling that many of the rock tracks I have suffer from poor mastering and you need better presentation of mids to make the most of them.

For a real upgrade of 900 for rock one have to go for Stax or other super-top-for-the-genre-headphones. I think, that Stax 007MK2 dominate 900 on Classic and Hard Rock, 009 - on Prog Rock. And I find, that 900 are the very best you can get for Alternative rock.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #8,154 of 18,765

that's where grado's shine. they've got the mids and the bite for rock music.

For a real upgrade of 900 for rock one have to go for Stax or other super-top-for-the-genre-headphones. I think, that Stax 007MK2 dominate 900 on Classic and Hard Rock, 009 - on Prog Rock. And I find, that 900 are the very best you can get for Alternative rock.

gotta say that the ethereal stax presentation doesn't seem like a great match for rock music

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #8,155 of 18,765
I'll give it a shot since you're asking a couple different locations. Just from my viewpoint borne out of owning the 900 and auditioning the 600 the difference between the two to me was so close and so minute that those five or $600 difference between the two would not be worth it to me going forward. I've use that five or $600 and buy another headphone what you want.

How about TH600 vs TH900 vs Sony Z7 ? I am really interested in Sony Z7,

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #8,156 of 18,765

If you can live with open headphones, I'd recommend checking out Grados too...a great rock option.

+1 for grado, i never liked grados because of low quality but their sound signature, especially PS1000 is really remarkable.
Never heard PS1000e, it's time for me to visit Bay Bloor Radio again :)

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #8,157 of 18,765
that's where grado's shine. they've got the mids and the bite for rock music.
gotta say that the ethereal stax presentation doesn't seem like a great match for rock music

Not all rock subgenres are created equal )) And not all the Stax-es are the same. As I said above "Stax 007MK2 dominate 900 on Classic and Hard Rock, 009 - on Prog Rock. And I find, that 900 are the very best you can get for Alternative rock."
Classic Grado RS1i are close to perfection on Classic and Hard Rock and GS1000i on Prog, but Stax and 900 are just more technically advanced, so technically speaking Grado have no chances. But considering personal taste, I absolutely agree, that Grado have a right for existence as personal top choice for the Rock (and I personaly have RS1i and GS1000i for considerations like this, there are lots of cases then you don't need technically best, but emotionally most involving performance ))

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #8,158 of 18,765

I have a new King of Rock in my stable, it's called HD650, but I'm also starting to thinking it's better at most genres over the TH900 including EDM.......... Oops did I really say that in this thread
eek.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #8,159 of 18,765
  I have a new King of Rock in my stable, it's called HD650, but I'm also starting to thinking it's better at most genres over the TH900 including EDM.......... Oops did I really say that in this thread
eek.gif

Today is the day of revelations. In Stax thread we're discussing whether "the 009 stomps out just about every phone with metal" ))

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #8,160 of 18,765
How about TH600 vs TH900 vs Sony Z7 ? I am really interested in Sony Z7,

Z7 vs. TH900
I felt the 900s outclass them in just every area minus mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back