Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 16, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #7,263 of 18,765

Yeah... something like 2 weeks ago he said he would send it out in a week.  He's not even doing the mod.... I asked for the kit.

Wait.  You are waiting for the KIT to be shipped?  Not for a pair of headphones to be modded?  That should have shipped real quick you'd think.............

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #7,268 of 18,765
  Bob, I just got my mod kit from Lawton. It took him almost 1.5 months to get it lol I got the pads as well. I was told a week and over a month later when I emailed him, he sent it out a week after that  lol

I just bought a TH-900 with Lawton mods. (Haven't received them yet) I'd be interested in hearing what the changes are to your ears, vs stock which you have been used to.

Apparently, bass might be even tighter than stock, and mids a little less recessed? Anyways let us know what changes you hear when you finish the mods.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #7,269 of 18,765
can someone explain to me why the mods, ok i get when fostex was making denon cans with less superior materials in the pads, cups, chords and electronics themselves, ie the gauze they now use. Why not mod grado? why not hifi man. Whats with fostex? Personally i feel mod is unnecessary but again for titillation, whats the difference.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #7,270 of 18,765
  can someone explain to me why the mods, ok i get when fostex was making denon cans with less superior materials in the pads, cups, chords and electronics themselves, ie the gauze they now use. Why not mod grado? why not hifi man. Whats with fostex? Personally i feel mod is unnecessary but again for titillation, whats the difference.

I agree, I didn't pay $1300 for these to mod them. I like them as-is. If you don't like them as-is, maybe this headphone isn't for you. It is a flagship after all. I would understand more if people were modding their TH600 to improve it to TH900 levels.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #7,271 of 18,765
We are of same head space matvei. Course in canada it was closer to 1500 but same, listening as we type, real nice stuff. What we need is an hpa8 user with dual head phone jacks and a th900 and a mod one comparison. Course, thats almost 4 grand of experimentation....but in the end i expect its residual marketing to the denon user and the elusiveness of audio perfection driving post purchase dissonance.....But hey, im pro whatever turns folks cranks audio wise.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #7,272 of 18,765

Only thing I'd have modded is the cable, because I feel it's too long for my use. By the way, is it possible to get TH900 recabled in a way that it supports cable swapping?

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #7,273 of 18,765
zojokkeli, no idea. I like the length as i can walk around and get stuff in my office while listening, and the split y cable, is not offensive either to me. But I can see why some folks might want to change that. hows the summer in Finland this year?

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #7,274 of 18,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back