Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 14, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #7,246 of 18,765

Hm, so they are pretty different sounding? Oregonian thought they sounded quite similar. 

Looking forward to your impressions/ the differences between the two, since I am interested in getting one.

TWerk if you are coming from a Sig DJ as it appears you may be the best way to describe the TH-900 in a nutshell would be like a more refined Sig Pro.

The Sig Pro is like a more refined Sig DJ. The TH-900 offers  better attack, speed, decay, and more neutrality over the Sig Pro.  Some have mentioned an issue with a toned down midrange (I personally don't hear it that way).

The TH-900 is a real genre master overall and easily competes with many of the current top tier hp's currently in production, a true Flagship offering.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #7,247 of 18,765

TWerk if you are coming from a Sig DJ as it appears you may be the best way to describe the TH-900 in a nutshell would be like a more refined Sig Pro.

The Sig Pro is like a more refined Sig DJ. The TH-900 offers  better attack, speed, decay, and more neutrality over the Sig Pro.  Some have mentioned an issue with a toned down midrange (I personally don't hear it that way).

The TH-900 is a real genre master overall and easily competes with many of the current top tier hp's currently in production, a true Flagship offering.

I've always been looking for the best EDM can and numerous sources point me this way. I'm a sucker for a good 3d type soundstage which these sound like they have as well.

I was looking at an HD 800 (for my love of soundstage) , but Im afraid the bass wouldn't be strong enough to enjoy my collection of EDM music. 

People seem to describe these differently from one another, though. Some think they are neutral, and others seem to think they have elevated treble and bass. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #7,248 of 18,765

I've always been looking for the best EDM can and numerous sources point me this way. I'm a sucker for a good 3d type soundstage which these sound like they have as well.

I was looking at an HD 800 (for my love of soundstage) , but Im afraid the bass wouldn't be strong enough to enjoy my collection of EDM music. 

True.  The HD-800 are kind of an enigma in that they are very seductive as far as detail retrieval goes as well as a fantastic soundstage.  Having said that however, the TH-900 hold their own as far as detail and soundstage goes also.  Unlike S-Logic in Ultrasone products the soundstage sounds far more natural and shares many similarities to the HD-800.  It is true also that the quality of bass on the HD-800 is superb and can reach real deep but for sheer impact when required the TH-900 trumps it.

For a better EDM experience and generally better allrounder hp the TH-900 is hard to beat.

( all of this is IMO obviously )

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #7,249 of 18,765
I think a V shape is my preferred sound sig (which is far as you can get from neutral!) , since I do enjoy the Ultrasone Pro 900, and haven't found one I've liked as much yet.

I'm wondering if TH-600 might work better because people tend to be saying it's a little brighter? But then others say TH-900 has more or a U or V shape sound and improved bass. 

Ugh, I don't know. I'd assume TH-900 is the better way to go since it has the better drivers.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #7,250 of 18,765
  I think a V shape is my preferred sound sig (which is far as you can get from neutral!) , since I do enjoy the Ultrasone Pro 900, and haven't found one I've liked as much yet.

I'm wondering if TH-600 might work better because people tend to be saying it's a little brighter? But then others say TH-900 has more or a U or V shape sound and improved bass. 

Ugh, I don't know. I'd assume TH-900 is the better way to go since it has the better drivers.

My money would be on the TH-900 7 days a week including twice on Sundays
biggrin.gif

Although I have yet to hear the TH-600.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #7,251 of 18,765

The TH900 is more refined, and has cleaner bass, too. Responds well to mods: the midrange is brought back to life by changing the foam dampers around the drivers to 5-6 mm thick pure wool felt pads. The easiest mod with most effect, and totally nondestructive.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #7,252 of 18,765
i'm currently doing a very lazy d7000 vs. th900 comparison. lazy because it's done 15 minutes here, 10 minutes there. not very critical listening at the moment. but i agree that the th900 are not that colored, boomy bass headphone that some have said it is. rather, compared to the d7000, the th900 are extremely detailed, a tad bright, have very tight bass, and possess incredible soundstage for a closed headphone. it really is a reference headphone.

by comparison, my d7000 has much boomier bass, though i argue that its midrange is a bit better and is warmer. it's more "fun" (a word i like to use a lot when describing the d7000). though they have a lot in common, they are very different headphones, IMO. i was originally going to keep one and sell the other, but right now i am probably leaning toward keeping both since they sound so different to me.

but again, i have been listening off and on the last few days and haven't spent serious time comparing the two. but i think in the end, my initial impressions will probably stand...

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #7,254 of 18,765
True.  The HD-800 are kind of an enigma in that they are very seductive as far as detail retrieval goes as well as a fantastic soundstage.  Having said that however, the TH-900 hold their own as far as detail and soundstage goes also.

With some material HD800 soundstage may seem a little overdone

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #7,256 of 18,765
i'm currently doing a very lazy d7000 vs. th900 comparison. lazy because it's done 15 minutes here, 10 minutes there. not very critical listening at the moment. but i agree that the th900 are not that colored, boomy bass headphone that some have said it is. rather, compared to the d7000, the th900 are extremely detailed, a tad bright, have very tight bass, and possess incredible soundstage for a closed headphone. it really is a reference headphone.

by comparison, my d7000 has much boomier bass, though i argue that its midrange is a bit better and is warmer. it's more "fun" (a word i like to use a lot when describing the d7000). though they have a lot in common, they are very different headphones, IMO. i was originally going to keep one and sell the other, but right now i am probably leaning toward keeping both since they sound so different to me.

but again, i have been listening off and on the last few days and haven't spent serious time comparing the two. but i think in the end, my initial impressions will probably stand...

Sounds like you are enjoying th900 :)

To me d7000 and th900 had pretty much the same sound sig, but th900 a notch better in every attribute except the mids.

I was hoping you sell your d7000 to me really cheap :) haha.
Just keep the d7000, its a keeper imo :wink:

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #7,257 of 18,765
With some material HD800 soundstage may seem a little overdone

That works really well for classical music. I use the HD800 almost exclusively for classical.

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #7,260 of 18,765
Hey TH900'ers...

I paypal'd my order to Mark Lawton on May 21, and nothing yet.  Has anyone here received a TH900 Lawton mod since then?

He took about a month to get mine done a few months back. Have you emailed him? He usually is very good to communicate back and forth with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back