Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 12, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #6,527 of 18,761
k3003 is an earphone and it sings like a canary out of my iphone
smily_headphones1.gif

I use it with my iPhone too, they sound great together. But to be honest, the difference is pretty obvious when it's plugged in a hm901 or ak120. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #6,528 of 18,761
not interested in going there for portable use. back to the th900. :)

ps iphone 5 measured audio output - 32.46 mw
k3003 max input - 15 mw, sensitivity 125 db spl/v
plenty of "juice" to drive the k3003 :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #6,529 of 18,761
IMHO, the TH900 and LCD3 are equally great in their own way. 
The LCD3 has a little more texture and detail and solidity and grounded-ness, 
but the TH900 has an ethereal goodness and ambiance and an angelic sound that is captivating and stirs up emotions.
It's a bit of a head vs. heart thing.
I use both of them a good deal, they both make me happy, and I will never let go of either of them.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #6,530 of 18,761
IMHO, the TH900 and LCD3 are equally great in their own way. 
The LCD3 has a little more texture and detail and solidity and grounded-ness, 
but the TH900 has an ethereal goodness and ambiance and an angelic sound that is captivating and stirs up emotions.
It's a bit of a head vs. heart thing.
I use both of them a good deal, they both make me happy, and I will never let go of either of them.

Do you feel the th900's lack the intimacy on acoustic and vocals of the 3, due to their midrange Achilles heal?...as I do?

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #6,531 of 18,761
Nope. To me, the LCD3 is a bit of a veiled midrangey thing (always preferred the sig of the LCD-2.2), even the supposed non-veiled version. On the other hand, I agree that the TH900 probably lacks that bit of weight at certain vocal frequencies if you're a midrangey person.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #6,532 of 18,761
Nope. To me, the LCD3 is a bit of a veiled midrangey thing (always preferred the sig of the LCD-2.2), even the supposed non-veiled version. On the other hand, I agree that the TH900 probably lacks that bit of weight at certain vocal frequencies if you're a midrangey person.

Similar to Kurochin, to me the Fostex Th-900 is exceptionally clear in de midrange.  The Fostex Th-900 has a suck out around the frequency 300-400 hz area, which probably explains why the midrange lacks some weight or ‘chest’ so to speak. I think this so-called ‘ lacking weight’  translates to what some call a recessed midrange. To me it is not that the midrange, especially vocals are recessed, in a sense that they are more distant (e.g that would mean the headphone would have suck out in the 2000-4000 hz area, which I think the TH-900 has not). It lacks some weight or chestiness  which will subjectively translates into a less emphasized midrange.
Now this is easily cured by using a tube amp and some midrangey tubes like the traditional 300Bs. the Fostex TH900 scales very well with expensive equipment.I have to say. To me, the Fostex TH-900 is the best ’allround- all genre’ headphone I have tried. And with careful tube-tuning, you can get rid of all recessed midrange comments, and be rewarded with a very natural, open and clear headphone with impressive dynamics. I finally got it right. It is perfect to me now. I am done. No need for other headphones.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #6,533 of 18,761
Think you guys made it easier for me not to get the 900. I considered it because it could double as a great gaming headphone but I need to hear those small macro dynamics and minute details in the vocal region and it's something it sounds like I'm not going to get... At least not compared to the lcd3 which I did like. Unfortunately I heard it through a liquid gold first and after that when I heard it I just kept wanting to go back to the LG lol. It was simply amazing. The lcd2.2 through a Burson soloist and hifiman ef6 just didn't do anything for me. Even the slightest.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #6,534 of 18,761
Glad we could help, personally I love em, have not heard LCD3 mind you but Im a little taken back by the supposed recess of the mid, I find I hear it all, vocals, minute detail, but in a friendly non ear bleeding way. The HPA8 drives it real nice and think, ya im in as good a place as can be. Concerning gaming the th900 had to be turned way down, the call of duty was way intense. Any rate in 5 years the manufacturers may do a refresh of new tech and see whats what then. Bye folks, this simple guy has gone as far as it can.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #6,536 of 18,761
I'm good, no tweaking, tubeing, cabling, padding, equalizing, or alternate cans necessary. Although as a capitalist, not that there is anything wrong in that...

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #6,537 of 18,761
Wow, Th900 is real beauties... I really want one 
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6,538 of 18,761
I'm using hm901 w MiniBox card together w the TH900, they sound fantastic together.

Minibox seems like overkill. At what volume do you use the TH900 with the minibox? 1.5? 2?  

Details and nuances in sound for the different amp cards seem to deteriorate slightly the more powerful they are. The IEM card is more than enough, IMO, to use the TH900 with. Using it as I'm typing this, in fact. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #6,540 of 18,761
I feel like I've found the magic formula to my concerns....the th900 takes a little eq beautifully :) such a relief....I knew it had greatness in it! Actually on the C4 it's a preset called Jazz, which takes some of the upper bass away and enhances the upper mids....not perfect, but the best overall compromise in a headphone I've found. Definitely a better balance with clearer vocals and controlled bass...I'm not sure I'd even swap for LCD 3 now.....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back