Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 12, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #6,511 of 18,761
Looking for a portable gear for Th900, either a portable amp or a portable source 

Currently thinking Hifiman hm901 with balanced amp card, any idea if it would work out fine with th900?

I'm using hm901 w MiniBox card together w the TH900, they sound fantastic together.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #6,512 of 18,761
I'm using hm901 w MiniBox card together w the TH900, they sound fantastic together.

Fengwei, it's surprising that you are using the Minibox amp card with the TH900 because the minibox card is meant for difficult to drive cans. Hmm... have you tried using it with something like the new Classic card? I frankly find it more engaging with the TH900. With the minibox card, because the focus is on driving the can, there seems to be some loss of the delicate mids sig of the TH900.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #6,513 of 18,761
Fengwei, it's surprising that you are using the Minibox amp card with the TH900 because the minibox card is meant for difficult to drive cans. Hmm... have you tried using it with something like the new Classic card? I frankly find it more engaging with the TH900. With the minibox card, because the focus is on driving the can, there seems to be some loss of the delicate mids sig of the TH900.

Sorry I don't have the classic card. I only got an iem card which I sold after I had the minibox card for a week. To me I like the minibox card better, when matched with both TH900 and K3003 :). Somehow I feel the sound is fuller w the minibox card than w the iem card (which sounded quite a bit better than the original stock card), and I don't feel there is any loss in details. I know quite a few guys at erji forum also prefer the minibox card even when matched with K3003 or RE400.

The only other card I had was a balanced card which I only liked better (than the iem card) when matched w a balanced HD700. I liked iem card when matched w my other IEMs and headphones.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #6,514 of 18,761
Maybe they're enjoying your 900s lol. I always worry about sending out my headphones to anyone. Always worried they will replace the driver with a lesser one. Especially someone that has had thousands of denon headphones.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #6,515 of 18,761
Sorry I don't have the classic card. I only got an iem card which I sold after I had the minibox card for a week. To me I like the minibox card better, when matched with both TH900 and K3003
smily_headphones1.gif
. Somehow I feel the sound is fuller w the minibox card than w the iem card (which sounded quite a bit better than the original stock card), and I don't feel there is any loss in details. I know quite a few guys at erji forum also prefer the minibox card even when matched with K3003 or RE400.

The only other card I had was a balanced card which I only liked better (than the iem card) when matched w a balanced HD700. I liked iem card when matched w my other IEMs and headphones.

Ah... I can understand with the K3003 - that like the AKG K702 needs some juice to sing. The other iem that thrives on the minibox card is the Fitear F111. Agree: the balanced card is a bit blunt in SE mode. Only deserving of its place at the table when used in balanced mode. 

If you get the opportunity to, you might want to give the Classic card a shot with the TH900.
atsmile.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #6,516 of 18,761
Maybe they're enjoying your 900s lol. I always worry about sending out my headphones to anyone. Always worried they will replace the driver with a lesser one. Especially someone that has had thousands of denon headphones.

I trust Mark Lawton so don't think that's a real concern. 

He didn't inform me that he doesn't do the cable work himself nor how long it would take..............I would have had BTG do the cable portion of the work otherwise.  Oh well, live and learn and that's why I am informing you folks to ask about timing if you use him.  He does great work on the damping side. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #6,519 of 18,761

Ah... I can understand with the K3003 - that like the AKG K702 needs some juice to sing. The other iem that thrives on the minibox card is the Fitear F111. Agree: the balanced card is a bit blunt in SE mode. Only deserving of its place at the table when used in balanced mode. 

If you get the opportunity to, you might want to give the Classic card a shot with the TH900.
atsmile.gif

Actually, what are the differences between the iem,balance, and minibox amp card? I tried to find some information from hifiman's homepage but they dont even have hm901 listed there.

I have used the Meier Corda Quickstep with great results.

Thanks for recommending that, but it's kinda too bricky when it ties together with the source

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #6,520 of 18,761
  Actually, what are the differences between the iem,balance, and minibox amp card? I tried to find some information from hifiman's homepage but they dont even have hm901 listed there.

Thanks for recommending that, but it's kinda too bricky when it ties together with the source

Sorry, they do have them on hifiman's homepage, but I meant I still have no idea about what are the differences between those amp cards after I read through the descriptions of them T.T

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #6,521 of 18,761
I received my TH900's today and all the descriptions are spot on.  They beat the D7000 hands down.  There is actually a bigger difference than I expected.  Absolutely more refined, detailed, and spacious.  Better instrument separation, way better highs, and tighter bass (WAAAAY punchier)...the list goes on. 

I guess it's time to sell my beloved D7000's.

Thanks for all the great info on this enormous thread.  It single-handedly pushed me over the edge. :)

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #6,522 of 18,761
I too have just sat down today with well burnt in 900's with my C4....and also a loan burson soloist sl and conductor....verdict?
...mostly good news...all the bass is there that I've heard about and craved after the Beyer T5p and a smooth spacious easy on the ear sound Sig, which is welcome after the Audeze XC, which I find a little shouty....remembering I'm also a fan of the refined LCD3 and NAD hp50. The soundstage is airy and excellent, the leakage is acceptable, the speed is good, the resolution is also good. Treble just tamed enough. So that's nice....the not so good is, the mids definitely need a little more to grab you're attention on acoustic and male vocals and also a little more quality, for guitar strings and piano to sound more natural, strike one for Audeze on this one!
The look is classy and still funky, along with nice comfort, although the fit could do with a little tailoring, such as slightly more clamp strength to give improved seal and reassurance on the head.
Rather strangely, the Bursons didn't seem to make a big difference....slightly tighter bass and general control, but only slight....which points to good synergy between the C4 and th900.
This is just day one....so will update as I go.
Ps I used mainly 24bit recordings.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #6,523 of 18,761
  I received my TH900's today and all the descriptions are spot on.  They beat the D7000 hands down.  There is actually a bigger difference than I expected.  Absolutely more refined, detailed, and spacious.  Better instrument separation, way better highs, and tighter bass (WAAAAY punchier)...the list goes on. 

I guess it's time to sell my beloved D7000's.

I agree with all of those details, and I have also sold my D7000s.  I could not live with these as my only pair of headphones, but as the owner of several, I don't think I could live without these being in the stable.  They're not neutral by any means, but they are necessary for a lot of my recordings.

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #6,524 of 18,761

If you get the opportunity to, you might want to give the Classic card a shot with the TH900.:atsmile:

k3003 is an earphone and it sings like a canary out of my iphone :)

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #6,525 of 18,761
k3003 is an earphone and it sings like a canary out of my iphone :)

Thanks Up Late. I know. I have one too. :) Which is why I go on to say the other IEM that thrives on the minibox is the fitear F111.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back