Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 14, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #6,556 of 18,761
The LCD2.2 has more balls (bass) than the LCD3, which I prefer, though still not quite as big as the TH-900's balls. Both LCDs have bellies (midrange) that extend more forward than the TH900. In the LCD3's case, his belly is so big that he can't see his balls when he's taking a piss. At the end of the day, it all depends on yourself and the kind of physique you want to see when looking in the mirror.

that's so beautiful man :wink:

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #6,557 of 18,761
Minibox seems like overkill. At what volume do you use the TH900 with the minibox? 1.5? 2?  

Details and nuances in sound for the different amp cards seem to deteriorate slightly the more powerful they are. The IEM card is more than enough, IMO, to use the TH900 with. Using it as I'm typing this, in fact. 

+1

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #6,558 of 18,761
No, I do not. They are very intimate and reach out very well, they just do not shout. And as playitloud says in post 6532, they scale extremely well to good upstream eqpt like a great tube amp that brings out fine midrange texture.

Agree. Alison Krauss never sounded so good as she does on the TH900: voice of an angel. :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #6,559 of 18,761
Agree. Alison Krauss never sounded so good as she does on the TH900: voice of an angel.
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny, when I saw your post, I'm listening to Alison and the Union Station's 'New Favorite' SACD through HP-A8 to TH900 :D  What a treat on a quiet Sat morning.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #6,560 of 18,761
Funny, when I saw your post, I'm listening to her 'New Favorite' SACD through HP-A8 to TH900 :D  What a treat on a quiet Sat morning.

Especially the title track... :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #6,561 of 18,761
I believe the lcd 3 is able to see its balls but I see where you're coming from. All frequencies seem to come from these wall of sound so it can be picky when it comes to separating them as the lows, miss, highs don't have their own domain. Give them a good rig and the amount of detail thrown out won't have you wondering you where the grand scheme of things is. It's polite but throws out what makes a very musical headphone given the right tonality and that is minute details.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #6,562 of 18,761
I wouldn't go to am lcd3 if I was trying to multi-task and just let the music flow to me. That sounds more like a denon headphone (my experience) with the mid bass punch and forward transients. But if I was to sit down for more focused session then I would go with something with a flatter eq like the lcd3 or he6. Sounds like the th900 is good for both

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #6,565 of 18,761
Agree. Alison Krauss never sounded so good as she does on the TH900: voice of an angel.
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny, when I saw your post, I'm listening to Alison and the Union Station's 'New Favorite' SACD through HP-A8 to TH900 :D  What a treat on a quiet Sat morning.

Especially the title track...
smily_headphones1.gif

I totally agree.  Her voice sounds its best on the TH-900;  there is an older album called "Forget About It" that sounds amazing, as well.

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #6,566 of 18,761
"I totally agree. Her voice sounds its best on the TH-900; there is an older album called "Forget About It" that sounds amazing, as well."

I'm not so into krall, but have found amazing vocals on the th900, the tracks are irrelevant, it comes down to production quality that the th900 can excel at. If that still allows me to see my balls, then I'm good with that.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #6,568 of 18,761
I totally agree.  Her voice sounds its best on the TH-900;  there is an older album called "Forget About It" that sounds amazing, as well.

Yes. It's wonderful! I have that one too! :wink:

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #6,569 of 18,761
"I totally agree. Her voice sounds its best on the TH-900; there is an older album called "Forget About It" that sounds amazing, as well."

I'm not so into krall, but have found amazing vocals on the th900, the tracks are irrelevant, it comes down to production quality that the th900 can excel at. If that still allows me to see my balls, then I'm good with that.

Whazzzup, you should listen to Stacey Kent as well: wonderful production and lovely voice. :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #6,570 of 18,761
A lot of phones I tried turned out to be disappointing, with some deal-breaking irritation or just plain lackluster sound so that the phones collected dust and were eventually sold.
The TH900s are the opposite; over time they just got more thrilling and I am more in awe of them than ever.
Just my 2 cents and my subjective experience for those considering them and any owners considering selling or returning them.
I think you should give them time or try to scale them with better upstream gear. They really deliver with care and feeding.
They are phones that have a sound that really touches my heart. I love these phones.

At first I thought they would be like my Denon D7000s (that I had for a long time but eventually gave up on as sometimes too shrill and bassy and overdone and not insightful, even after a try with expensive recabling
and balancing).
But after a short while, the TH900s were really the kind of phones that had a true soul and were on a much higher level.
Mine are just plain stock ones, unmodified, and perfect as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back