Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6,571 of 18,761
  A lot of phones I tried turned out to be disappointing, with some deal-breaking irritation or just plain lackluster sound so that the phones collected dust and were eventually sold.
The TH900s are the opposite; over time they just got more thrilling and I am more in awe of them than ever.
Just my 2 cents and my subjective experience for those considering them and any owners considering selling or returning them.
I think you should give them time or try to scale them with better upstream gear. They really deliver with care and feeding.
They are phones that have a sound that really touches my heart. I love these phones.

+1
I can even name a few culprits, Your Honor :

HD 800 (main offender)
LCD2 (main accomplice)
Grado GS1000 (would-be second knife)

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #6,572 of 18,761
A lot of phones I tried turned out to be disappointing, with some deal-breaking irritation or just plain lackluster sound so that the phones collected dust and were eventually sold.
The TH900s are the opposite; over time they just got more thrilling and I am more in awe of them than ever.
Just my 2 cents and my subjective experience for those considering them and any owners considering selling or returning them.
I think you should give them time or try to scale them with better upstream gear. They really deliver with care and feeding.
They are phones that have a sound that really touches my heart. I love these phones.

At first I thought they would be like my Denon D7000s (that I had for a long time but eventually gave up on as sometimes too shrill and bassy and overdone and not insightful, even after a try with expensive recabling
and balancing).
But after a short while, the TH900s were really the kind of phones that had a true soul and were on a much higher level.
Mine are just plain stock ones, unmodified, and perfect as is.

I agree....love is a word that can be used for these phones....

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #6,574 of 18,761
I might have asked this already. Lol don't know but I do recall ONE person saying the he500 sounded like the he6 but that's not what I got from them in my experience. My experience is that the he6 has axing out of head imaging that produces pinpoint accuracy with tons of air. All frequencies were produced with the solidity that planar are known for. Very transparent and life like sounding. The only other headphones I've heard that actually sounded more lifelike where the abyss.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #6,575 of 18,761

At first I thought they would be like my Denon D7000s (that I had for a long time but eventually gave up on as sometimes too shrill and bassy and overdone and not insightful, even after a try with expensive recabling
and balancing).
But after a short while, the TH900s were really the kind of phones that had a true soul and were on a much higher level.
Mine are just plain stock ones, unmodified, and perfect as is.

don't think i really appreciated how great the th900 is until i started auditioning other high end cans.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #6,577 of 18,761
I hated these at first but then now that they're burnt in with Graham Slee amp, it gives me no better excitement from headphones. I feel like these are LCD-3 + Stax 407. Definitely better than LCD-XCs. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #6,578 of 18,761
I hated these at first but then now that they're burnt in with Graham Slee amp, it gives me no better excitement from headphones. I feel like these are LCD-3 + Stax 407. Definitely better than LCD-XCs. 

Agreed insofar as synergy with the graham slee solo UL.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #6,580 of 18,761
Sounds dumb to me that people have to FIND proper synergy . I wasn't directing my sudden rush of irritation towards any individual. There's part of me that wants to hear these soooo bad. Probably more so than any headphone. But I can't unless I buy them. The other part of me is saying DONT DO IT!! As I'm not the kind of person that even if I could afford to do so would allow myself to FIND the right set up for a headphone already costing $1500. I'm sure you guys are wondering why I'm still sticking around this thread.. I am too.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #6,581 of 18,761
This headphone is ranked like number 28 on the battle of the flagships. Is that because he didn't have the proper set up.?

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #6,583 of 18,761
This headphone is ranked like number 28 on the battle of the flagships. Is that because he didn't have the proper set up.?

It's because this hobby is very subjective.

Agree and lots of here say, folks commenting on stuff they never listened too via other comments, or really making to much of a very simple matter. First for info purposes these threads are great, especially for sharing opinions of what components you have. Second these threads are useless as they take a subjective matter of preference, souped up in rationalization and sonic adaption.
First off these cans are great, second it doesn't take much to drive these things and sound great. I chose hpa8 just cause I figure the company would know a little on how to build an amp and drive these cans well. Is it the best? Who knows and who cares. They sound pretty great to me. I too suggest to read less and just do. I have said that I would move on as well, why haven't i?

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #6,584 of 18,761

Who conducted this battle of the flagships? Is he some sort of important chap, or just another delusional muppet like the guys who run stereophile? I never heard of him. His first name is not Gustav, he's never won an Isle of Man TT, and he hasn't cured cancer, so why should his opinion be more important than my/your/our own? What's considered a "proper setup" anyway? Does it just mean enough power, or do you need to have those stupid resonance eliminating cones and a $1K USB cable to be "proper"?

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #6,585 of 18,761

Who conducted this battle of the flagships? Is he some sort of important chap, or just another delusional muppet like the guys who run stereophile? I never heard of him. His first name is not Gustav, he's never won an Isle of Man TT, and he hasn't cured cancer, so why should his opinion be more important than my/your/our own? What's considered a "proper setup" anyway? Does it just mean enough power, or do you need to have those stupid resonance eliminating cones and a $1K USB cable to be "proper"?

Thx and plus 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back