Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 7, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #5,671 of 18,762
Dubstep girl thanks for your Zana & GSX impressions, the way you describe the Zana you could almost be describing the Japanese Bakoon - except there is zero loss of bass - it's very controlled - but listening to Massive Attack's karmacoma song the bass is pumping how I believe it was intended it extends really deep almost feels like speakers on my head (slight exaggeration but you hopefully get my point). I would say the Bakoon extenuates the TH900 character - however the mids do not sound sucked out with this amp. The mids sound wonderful. I have had the amp for about 4 months now so I'm not suffering new toy syndrome - in fact my first impressions of the amp didn't blow me away it took at least 2 months for the amp to open up.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #5,672 of 18,762
Wow.... I must listen to music at a much lower volume than most, because my Girlfriend never complains about music leakage through my TH900s, and she has supersonic hearing compared to me

Or she's not a complainer...hold onto that woman! :)

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #5,673 of 18,762
Or she's not a complainer...hold onto that woman!
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #5,674 of 18,762
@mrtim6
Interesting that the Japan Bakoon doesn't employ a battery. Does that mean HDA-5210 mk3 converts voltage to current on the fly? That's pretty cool. One of the few gripes I have with the HPA-21 is the charge time required for the batteries. I wonder if there are any trade-offs, sonically. Tell me, does your Bakoon exhibit any audible noise at low volumes with no music playing with the TH900 or other sensitive headphones? I'm asking because it's what I read in the Headfonia review just now whilst searching around for reviews on Japanese Bakoons.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #5,676 of 18,762
my TH900 is here!! was to exited to get some nice shots :p will do so later :3 

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #5,677 of 18,762
congrats. finally found a place with a demo pair. looking forward to giving them a listen. :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #5,678 of 18,762
Congrats! Give them ample head time. Though unsolicited, I'll give one bit of advice - placement really matters on these (at least for my head) more than the other cans I have tried. Try moving the cans further back to improve clarity and midrange. 

I've just started my cycle on the TH900 today. One day into it, and I already know I will be extended beyond a one week cycle on these. 
darthsmile.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #5,679 of 18,762
seems like i need some burning, had the TH600 burned in and the Treble there sure is nice, now with the TH900 isn't as sparkly and extended.

still in the first two hours so i think i will need little more time to get these to WoW me :/ 

how long though? :p dang i can't remember how long it took the TH600 to burn it :3

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #5,681 of 18,762
i am not worried, the TH600 sounded the same at the start :p even in some reviews the very 1st thing was "these didn't wow me at first" so will give it time and type my feed back here later :p 

i think these will burn faster since my mind got used to something similar which was the TH600.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #5,682 of 18,762
  Congrats! Give them ample head time. Though unsolicited, I'll give one bit of advice - placement really matters on these (at least for my head) more than the other cans I have tried. Try moving the cans further back to improve clarity and midrange. 

I've just started my cycle on the TH900 today. One day into it, and I already know I will be extended beyond a one week cycle on these. 
darthsmile.gif

I find that rotating the headband slightly more forward on the top of my head to be the optimal position for best sound.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #5,683 of 18,762
I find that rotating the headband slightly more forward on the top of my head to be the optimal position for best sound.

Agreed. Not on the top. A little north towards the forehead. This shouls also move the earpieces back towards the back of the head slightly. :D Not too far back to affect the seal though.

Rocking santana - guitar heaven at the moment. :beyersmile:

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #5,684 of 18,762
lol seems like i will write a review about moving from TH600 to TH900, i am in the burning phase where it is soooo boring and not as clear compared to burned in TH600, same amp and dac so i get an idea about non burned 900 vs burned in 600. atm 3 hours into listening :p

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #5,685 of 18,762
I was heavily considering the TH600's, until I was able to get a great deal on the 900's. No regrets. The looks alone for me justifies the price. Some may dosagree, but with the deal I got...man...hehehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back